11-30-2014 05:16 PM
45 12
tools
    That's impressive . Did you turn everything off ? J/K
    Love it! Some things yes and some no. I use tasker to sync when the screen lights up and not sync when the screen times out. It also does the same for the 4g signal. It still allows texts and calls.
    11-24-2014 05:51 PM
    Taking your criteria in order (I have a Turbo, and I got a Z3V for my S.O. based on her preference for the looks):

- Battery life is key (I need it to last a whole day on heavy usage)

This was my #1 decision factor - I have an hour plus commute each way during which I stream music and catch up with my daily online browsing and chatting. I have several email accounts with 100+ emails that sync each day, I have hipchat running all day with my coworkers, and I am on phone calls at least 90 minutes each day. When I had my Galaxy S3 and Moto X ('13, not the new one), I would take it off the charger at 7am and be dead by 9pm with only half the online activity. My current battery charge usually lasts half way into day 2 on a single charge, and as a result I have doubled my monthly data usage (prior I used to average 1-2gb of data a month. This month I used 4.5gb). I feel umpteen times more productive on my now that the huge battery gives you options of doing more things on your phone in the same time frame, without being afraid to have a dead phone by 4pm.

That being said - I have not done a full drain test on my Turbo vs. my S.O's Z3V to see how they hold up with comparable load, but I will note that her Z3V appears to be very stingy, in a good way, with battery drain - I have seen her phone last 2 days easily, albeit with a much lower workload then what I described above, but probably 4-5x better than her S3.

- Speed (I use my phone a lot and need it to be responsive)

I have the Turbo, my S.O has the Z3V, I have multi-tasked with both and don't see any discernible difference in speed, they are equally zippy with multiple things going on at once e.g. music streaming, email syncing, web browsing simultaneously doesn't add any lag.

- Above average camera (For when I don't have my DSLR camera)

Z3V and Turbo both have good cameras as far as still picture quality goes. Z3V's picture output looks slightly nicer, but as far as motion sensitive pictures goes I think the LG G3 (other family members on my plan have these so I have compared this as well) has them both beat. Quality wise they all put out nice pics, but you will get annoyed at some of the focus lag on these 2 if you have tried the G3 prior.

- Good signal strength (I travel around my college campus all day)

Tough to compare, I haven't had any problems as far as call quality on either the Turbo or Z3V but also I have noticed them dropping into 1xRTT for phone calls more frequently than my prior phones.

- Sturdy (I drop my phone a lot, whoops.)

If you want sturdy, one has a glass back, the other has kevlar or ballistic nylon. That is a factor to consider in terms of protection and whether you are considering adding a case.

Other criteria when comparing the 2, that had me on the fence as well:

Screen & Notifications - This is subjective but while the Turbo has the higher res screen pixel wise, the Sony's screen in terms of contrast, brightness and color vividness just looks nice. It looks like a slick "Sony display" that they they used to be known for, whereas The Turbo has a flatter look to it. What tipped me towards the Turbo is the active notifications allowed because they went with their screen design.

Voice Control - This is an area where the Turbo has a leg up in terms of just actively listening for your voice prompt. Some of this will be a moot differentiation with Android L, but as of now, it is a significant distinction for me when I am in the car and want more seamless handsfree control
    Great objective comparison!
    DJ Sandman likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:48 PM
    Greetings. I'm upgrading tomorrow and I really need someone to give me the key points of the Turbo. I'm heavily considering the Z3V for its camera, sd card compatibility and it's WiFI/4G signal strengths. I've heard many bugs with the software (No VoLTE as well as losing signal strength when you put your hand on top of the phone) and that's making me feel iffy about this phone. However, the hardware of this phone is making me drool. Can someone with experience with this phone tell me the key strengths of this phone and any problems that they've had?

EDIT: As requested, I'll list what I'm looking for in a phone.
    - Battery life is key (I need it to last a whole day on heavy usage)
    - Speed (I use my phone a lot and need it to be responsive)
    - Above average camera (For when I don't have my DSLR camera)
    - Good signal strength (I travel around my college campus all day)
    - Sturdy (I drop my phone a lot, whoops.)
    I would say you were good to go with the Turbo, its a wonderful device. However, I see you listed camera. Personally I dislike the camera. Its not bad for still shots but if your subject moves AT ALL its a big problem. I've experienced a ton of noise in my shots.

UI fluidity really cant be matched other than the nexus 6/moto x/ htc one m8 IMO
    11-25-2014 08:17 AM
    Well I have a nexus 6, iPhone 6 plus and the Turbo. Can't speak for the Z3V because it isn't on my radar as to me they crippled that phone as it should have had flagship specs like the real Z3.

I had my Nexus 6 for about a week now, had my Turbo since release and had the 6 plus since release.

I am keeping the Turbo and selling/returning the other two.

I love the Turbo and I think the camera is fine and does its job very well. I have had every RAZR and droid there has ever been with the exception of the Droid X2 (lol) and this is the Droid your looking for. Haha. The camera is the BEST OUT OF ALL DROIDS OF YESTERYEARS! Now let's all be honest here, we use our Smartphones for casual photog and is pretty much our main shooter as it is on us all the time. However with the way moto has there camera app as a separate updateable item then it will get better with time. The Nexus 6 google camera app works just as well as it does on the Turbo as the Nexus 6.

The speed of the device is amazing. Its actually faster then the Nexus 6 and way faster then the iPhone 6 plus (yeah it really is) and it has a lot going for it in terms of updates (Android L) and standalone moto application updates.

You won't go wrong with the Turbo. Heck you even get a free one time replacement with verizon! See if any other manufacturer offers that (and no I don't mean HTC where you have to send in the phone for a week) and it your upgrading there is no $30 upgrade fee with the turbo either!

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-25-2014 08:57 AM
    Can't speak for the Z3V because it isn't on my radar as to me they crippled that phone as it should have had flagship specs like the real Z3.
    The Z3v is crippled? I hear this quite alot, and am wondering why people feel this way.

The Z3v has the same processor as the Z3. It has the same GPU as the Z3. It has the same 3GB RAM as the Z3. It has the same PS4 integration and the same waterproofing as the Z3. It has the same camera as the Z3 except for a slightly higher ISO ability (which very few people would or should use). The Z3v has qi charging while the Z3 does not. The Z3v has stereo front facing speakers... the Z3 does not.

The Z3 does have a slightly brighter screen than the Z3v, but that's not saying the Z3v is dim, it's quite bright. If comparing to the Turbo, the Z3v actually has a brighter screen with more natural looking colors, it has a better camera with faster shutter, better low light abilities, and a dedicated camera key, and it's water resistant up to 5 feet vs. the Turbo's splash proof coating. The Z3v has excellent battery life too, rivaling the Turbo in many cases as I read everyone's posts. In addition the Z3v has an SD card slot (up to 128GB storage) that the Turbo lacks. Not sure why people are so eager to overlook/dismiss the Z3v.... it's anything but crippled.

The Turbo is a great phone in many respects. you can't go wrong choosing it or the Z3v. It just depends on which features are important to you. Just hate to see devices being misrepresented.
    areyes163 likes this.
    11-25-2014 09:57 AM
    Seriously? It didn't make ac best phones of 2014. I have no idea why because thru my eyes it's a beast. It's got the specs of the phones coming out next year. You read these forums and it's anal how it's nit picked. You want fast? You want a quality device? You want your phone to last all day no matter what? It's got a very good camera for a phone. It runs on the best network in America. It's almost stock Android. And it fits in my pocket. Good luck phone shopping.

mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-25-2014 10:11 AM
    The Z3v is crippled? I hear this quite alot, and am wondering why people feel this way.

The Z3v has the same processor as the Z3. It has the same GPU as the Z3. It has the same 3GB RAM as the Z3. It has the same PS4 integration and the same waterproofing as the Z3. It has the same camera as the Z3 except for a slightly higher ISO ability (which very few people would or should use). The Z3v has qi charging while the Z3 does not. The Z3v has stereo front facing speakers... the Z3 does not.

The Z3 does have a slightly brighter screen than the Z3v, but that's not saying the Z3v is dim, it's quite bright. If comparing to the Turbo, the Z3v actually has a brighter screen with more natural looking colors, it has a better camera with faster shutter, better low light abilities, and a dedicated camera key, and it's water resistant up to 5 feet vs. the Turbo's splash proof coating. The Z3v has excellent battery life too, rivaling the Turbo in many cases as I read everyone's posts. In addition the Z3v has an SD card slot (up to 128GB storage) that the Turbo lacks. Not sure why people are so eager to overlook/dismiss the Z3v.... it's anything but crippled.

The Turbo is a great phone in many respects. you can't go wrong choosing it or the Z3v. It just depends on which features are important to you. Just hate to see devices being misrepresented.
    My bad. I truly thought the Z3 had the Qualcomm 805 and the Z3v had the 801. I take back my statements about the crippled part.

11-25-2014 01:08 PM
    The real outstanding differences between the phones are battery and screen. I had both phones. Kept the G3 until almost too late to return it, then sent it back and got the Turbo. Battery on the Turbo is better than the G3. Not as good as VZW would have you think. But it's very good. Oddly, the battery on my old Razr MaxxHD is better Screen on Turbo is better. Yeah yeah yeah, the LCD on the G3 is potentially better than on the Turbo. It's not though. There are sharpening artifacts everywhere. It's really obvious on apps like Kindle. They are not there on the Turbo. Radios are pretty close. I'd expect the Turbo to withstand a drop better because there is a little more bezel. But understand ALL CURRENT SMARTPHONES BREAK EASILY. All of them, unless you are talking about an older, smaller screened phone with a lot more bezel. If you drop phones a lot, get a good case. Not just a skin. I'm talking Otterbox here. No matter which phone you buy. Both phones are really fast. But the Turbo lacks the scrolling stutter that drove me nuts with the G3. Camera on both phones is good. Not as good as my Nokia Icon, but good.

Another phone to consider for speed and battery life is the HTC One M8. For even more battery, look at the M8 in Windows Phone.
    mobrules likes this.
    11-25-2014 04:11 PM
    Seriously? It didn't make ac best phones of 2014. I have no idea why because thru my eyes it's a beast. It's got the specs of the phones coming out next year. You read these forums and it's anal how it's nit picked. You want fast? You want a quality device? You want your phone to last all day no matter what? It's got a very good camera for a phone. It runs on the best network in America. It's almost stock Android. And it fits in my pocket. Good luck phone shopping.

It failed to make it because its a VZW exclusive. Which kinda sucks if you aren't on Verizon. But fortunately there is the Moto X for those poor souls. Which *did* make it and is a very fine phone. And on Verizon, it just got the Lollipop update!
    11-25-2014 04:18 PM

Now I want the Z3v
    areyes163 and pchain like this.
    11-25-2014 04:19 PM
    Now I want the Z3v
    LOL... The Z3v is a solid phone. Having said that though, I suffer from "wandering eye syndrome" when it comes to phones and I'm always wanting to try and test EVERY phone!! :-)
    areyes163 likes this.
    11-25-2014 04:38 PM
    LOL... The Z3v is a solid phone. Having said that though, I suffer from "wandering eye syndrome" when it comes to phones and I'm always wanting to try and test EVERY phone!! :-)
    I like that in a person My phone collection keeps growing.
    pchain likes this.
    11-25-2014 04:49 PM
    Another phone to consider for speed and battery life is the HTC One M8. For even more battery, look at the M8 in Windows Phone.
    Have you used the HTC One M8? I decided to pass on the Turbo and look around and was really impressed with the M8. Was curious what you thought of it. The next gen (M9 or whatever they will call it) should be out in a couple months, I'm waiting for that one.
    11-25-2014 07:05 PM
    Have you used the HTC One M8? I decided to pass on the Turbo and look around and was really impressed with the M8. Was curious what you thought of it. The next gen (M9 or whatever they will call it) should be out in a couple months, I'm waiting for that one.
    I have. First, it's big deal is the sound. I will tell you it's not what HTC would have you think. It sounds about as good as a 1970s era transistor radio. There are phones that, to my ear, sound just as good. The Moto X is one of them. It's not stereo, but you won't get stereo separation anyway from speakers three inches apart. M8 sound is way overblown. Sound from the Turbo isn't as good as the Moto, but still decent. And as far as using it as a phone, the Motorolas (including the Turbo) sound a lot better as a phone. Display on the M8 is pretty good. Colors are less saturated than the Turbo. But the Turbo to my eyes has a better display. The Turbo is easier to hold on to. Battery life of the M8 is very good. About like the Moto X. Not as good as the Turbo. Milliamp-hours are hard to beat. But the Windows variant is supposed to be a lot better. WP8.1 is extremely efficient in it's battery use. I can believe it coming off an HTC 8X, Small battery, ran all day. Camera on the Turbo is better in daylight than the M8. Both are good enough for most purposes. The M8 is better in dim light. So for general snaps to be viewed on a PC or tablet or whatever, either is fine. I find the Turbo controls easier to find and use. The breathing notifiers on the Turbo are waaaaaay useful.

As you can see, I'm not an M8 fan boy. It's a good phone, no question. But it's very much overhyped. The tech blogs (including AC) are too in love with the all metal build - which by any rational measure is immaterial to phone quality, see Nokia - and dual speakers to be very impartial, and they tend to buy into the hype. I'd rather have a solid phone with good radios, battery life, excellent display, and good sound at the earpiece during calls. In those regards the Turbo and the Moto X are as good as or better than the M8.
    sharkita and markymark like this.
    11-26-2014 05:43 AM

I am glad you posted this. I see the Z3v bashing all the time and it makes no sense. I got the Turbo, but I might talk my wife into the Z3v

11-29-2014 08:24 AM
    Sony Xperia Z3v Review: One of Verizon's Hottest …:

Note: A fair and honest review and though the reviewer prefers the Turbo over the Z3v, he gives it some good props. Me personally, I have a Z3v and as I mentioned in the Z3v forum, it's very good but it's not the ultimate phone, just as the reviewer states.

It all depends on what you want. Want specs - go Turbo. Want fluid/smoothness - I'd personally go with the Moto X. Want a great camara - you'll need a professional camara.

If you want an underrated phone that's not Apple, Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc., then go with the Sony Xperia Z3v or Z3. And to the OP, I promise to get you those photo comparisons of my Z3v vs. my brother's Moto X.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-29-2014 11:11 PM
    What's Brewing? What Makes a Device "Superior"?:

P.S. Here's another good video to share regarding phones, especially if you have time to kill as it's over an hour lol.
    11-29-2014 11:42 PM
    Don't do it. The battery life isn't that great especially if you manage it.
    Interesting, you don't use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? I will upgrade on 12/15. I currently have the RMHD.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    11-30-2014 09:41 AM
    Interesting, you don't use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? I will upgrade on 12/15. I currently have the RMHD.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    No I kept the unlimited plan so I really dont use wifi hardly at all. I figure if they want to make it difficult for me to keep my plan Im gonna use as much as I can. Used 12 gb last month. I do use bluetooth occasionally but mostly speakerphone. I would read through the battery life thread and the apps ok to disable thread. Theres alot of good info in those threads with great suggestions. But remember that was an extreme timeframe for the battery. However I do average 48+ hrs. I use the same setup as I used on my RMHD. Had to switch to tasker because theres no smart actions. I used to get 48 hrs from the RMHD too. If you have any questions at all just send me a PM. Hope this helps.
    GatsbyGlen likes this.
    11-30-2014 05:01 PM
    Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    11-30-2014 05:16 PM
45 12