Will the Moto Maxx work on AT&T's LTE network?

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
And what else is really nice....I already have Lollipop. The Moto Maxx is a great phone that works on AT&T and T-Mobile.

Posted via the Android Central App

and you run a custom ROM, pointing that out cause I didn't want the person asking about Tmobile to think that if he switched to Tmobile that his phone would get the 5.0.2 update.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I am not running a custom ROM this is the official retail version of Lollipop. My phone has never said LTE but I am getting LTE speeds. The attached is from yesterday and I have gotten much better before.

Attachments

• 479.jpg
    479.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 60

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
One more...

ok, i need some more info if you dont mind, So, then, Motorola pushed 5.0.2 it certainly wasn't your carrier right ? Speaking of which, who is your carrier ?? Shouldn't your phone should display LTE ? which leads me to believe your on 4G HSPA+ I mean I have a Tmobile Sim in my turbo and it shows LTE. Sorry I didn't realize the Maxx had that software, my mistake about the ROM.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
ok, i need some more info if you dont mind, So, then, Motorola pushed 5.0.2 it certainly wasn't your carrier right ? Speaking of which, who is your carrier ?? Shouldn't your phone should display LTE ? which leads me to believe your on 4G HSPA+ I mean I have a Tmobile Sim in my turbo and it shows LTE. Sorry I didn't realize the Maxx had that software, my mistake about the ROM.

I am on AT&T and actually side loaded the soak test from Motorola which is 5.02. It has never said LTE, I wonder if I should get a new Sim. I will swing by AT&T later this week and see if its the Sim card or AT&T.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am on AT&T and actually side loaded the soak test from Motorola which is 5.02. It has never said LTE, I wonder if I should get a new Sim. I will swing by AT&T later this week and see if its the Sim card or AT&T.

yes i would check because those are not very good LTE speeds for ATT. For example, My backup phone(Google Nexus 4) with a tmobile sim is running the same speeds as your ATT sim with a Maxx. The kicker is my Nexus 4 does not even have LTE, only HSPA+ This is good info to share as others can use this, including myself for comparisons with networks.

My turbo and TMO sim are seeing double your speeds constant, maybe check some of your APN settings ?

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No. Do not get a new Sim. LTE is a US term only. Our glorious carriers decided to call hspa+ as 4g even though it never was. 4g is LTE in the rest of the world. An imported phone will not show LTE as there is really no such thing. You are getting full 4g which the US carries call LTE. It was a marketing gimmick.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
No. Do not get a new Sim. LTE is a US term only. Our glorious carriers decided to call hspa+ as 4g even though it never was. 4g is LTE in the rest of the world. An imported phone will not show LTE as there is really no such thing. You are getting full 4g which the US carries call LTE. It was a marketing gimmick.

HSPA+ is up to 4x faster than 3G
LTE is up to 10x faster than 3G

Both have different bands and frequency. With AT&T when not in an LTE area you drop down to HSPA+21/42

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

That is what I thought. I was actually going to ask if anyone was seeing LTE on a Moto Maxx on AT&T.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That is what I thought. I was actually going to ask if anyone was seeing LTE on a Moto Maxx on AT&T.

didn't know that about international phones but your speeds are still not right, maybe you are only picking up one weak LTE band or the same for HSPA+ One thing is that you cant visibly determine that just by looking at your international phone. If you install the APP that tells you what bands and frequency that would solve it all.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will the Moto Maxx work on AT&T's LTE network?

HSPA+ is up to 4x faster than 3G
LTE is up to 10x faster than 3G

Both have different bands and frequency. With AT&T when not in an LTE area you drop down to HSPA+21/42
While you are technically correct for AT&T, Hspa+ is just faster 3g. LTE is true 4g by the rest of the worlds standards. So when an imported phone shows 4G you are getting what the US carriers call "LTE". And that speedtest can be an accurate representation of LTE. Depending on the area, and more importantly the number of people on the network, my phone have all ranged from 5-30. From the Nexus 6, Galaxy's, LG G3 to my imported Sony compacts and my imported Moto Maxx. The Maxx and the Sony I had will never say LTE because that term doesn't exist except in the US. But it is the same speed. To compare, you'd have to have both phones in the same spot.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Now maybe people can quit bitchin about it being a Verizon exclusive. IIRC it also works fine on T-Mobile as well (no LTE I believe but HSPA supposedly works fine). So the only major carrier it won't work on is Sprint.

I get blazing fast LTE speeds on my Turbo, depends on which market you are in to receive it.

ChromeDome00

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Moto MAXX - my tests have shown a download of 20Mbps and upload of 5.58Mbps. I tested again from same location with my Moto X and got 21 down and 7 up.

This shows me the 4G is just a regional convention.

EDIT - one other interesting note that backs this up. When I make a call, the network icon changes from 4G to H or H+ - this 3G connection is required for voice, and shows that the phone has the enhanced 3G as well.

Last edited:

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Hspa+ should have never been called 4g. It isn't. It was cheaper and easier for the US carriers to do hspa+ and call it 4g. Then they had to come up with a term for true 4g and they called it LTE. That's is what the rest of the world already had as 4g.

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I got the moto maxx today and put my t mobile Sim in and got LTE.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 46