01-04-2015 08:44 AM
68 123
tools
    I was wondering if the $100 trade in of an old smartphone is still available with Verizon? My contract is up in mid December and was planning to get the Turbo anyway so hoping this was still available.

Is it also any smartphone? I thought I read in other threads that it was but wanted to confirm with anyone who has done this. I was planning on keeping my MAXX HD and just giving them my old Droid 2 Global if that is an option.

Thanks.
    11-24-2014 12:51 PM
    I was wondering if the $100 trade in of an old smartphone is still available with Verizon? My contract is up in mid December and was planning to get the Turbo anyway so hoping this was still available.

Is it also any smartphone? I thought I read in other threads that it was but wanted to confirm with anyone who has done this. I was planning on keeping my MAXX HD and just giving them my old Droid 2 Global if that is an option.

Thanks.
    I've heard the $100 credit will run until the end of December. Also, the trade in can be any smartphone.

We are in the same situation--I have a Maxx HD for my phone and I have an old D2G I'm going to trade. My contract ends Dec. 1st. I want to get onto the Edge program. I've been told I can do that before my contract date, but if I do, I won't get the $100 credit. With four lines, I'm going to have to wait for Dec. 1st. If you are going to renew your 2 year contract and are upgrade eligible now, you might be able to swing the deal. Caveat: I've gotten several different answers from various Verizon entities as to my upgrade/contract/trade in/Edge questions but the consensus is the one I described above.
    11-24-2014 01:16 PM
    Yes you get $100 minimum -- $150 maximum -- in the form of a VZW gift card which you can use towards your bill.

Any smartphone, regardless of it being activated, and you can mail it in rather than deal with the incompetence at the retail stores just ask for the return label from the phone support.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-24-2014 01:25 PM
    I was able to trade in an old Droid Eris and kept my Galaxy Nexus as a backup and got $100 off my purchase right then on release day. My rep didn't know about the deal and I showed him that it said it right on the display and then the commercial came on and he checked and once my Eris booted up I got $100 off.
    11-24-2014 02:09 PM
    My contract ends Dec 15. Is there any advantage to the edge program?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    11-24-2014 02:40 PM
    How do I get this Trade In? I ordered the MDT and paid full price since I'm not eligible yet to Edge p or renew my 2yr Contract. I didn't get any notice of an available Trade In for my old phone.
    11-24-2014 02:51 PM
    I believe the $100 trade in is only available with a 2 year contract.
    11-24-2014 03:04 PM
    My contract ends Dec 15. Is there any advantage to the edge program?
    You don't have to pay the $199 up front for the device. Instead the full retail cost of $599 is amortized over $24 months. Then you get a discount on your per line cost per month. Bottom line--most people end up paying the same or a few dollars less per month with the Edge program.

However, the real advantage is that you can upgrade your device after you've paid for 75% of your phone, or 18 months. If you can't wait 18 months to get the latest device you pay the amount out of pocket that would get you to the 75% level.

Verizon Edge - Verizon Wireless
    11-24-2014 04:46 PM
    I believe the $100 trade in is only available with a 2 year contract.

Nope, you can get it on Edge. You DO have to wait until your contract is up, though. (Click on picture to see fine print.)

0 Trade In Still Available with Verizon?-verizonedge.jpg

Smartphones, Tablets, Connected Devices & More - Verizon Wireless
    11-24-2014 04:48 PM
    Yes you get $100 minimum -- $150 maximum -- in the form of a VZW gift card which you can use towards your bill.

Any smartphone, regardless of it being activated, and you can mail it in rather than deal with the incompetence at the retail stores just ask for the return label from the phone support.
    Yep, $100 if a current Verizon customer; $150 if you are coming from another carrier.

An advantage to doing it in the store is that they will apply your credit against your first bill without you having to hassle with e-mailed rebate codes, or if you want to buy an accessory (case, wireless charger) you can use the credit against the cost of that item and walk out with the item.
    11-24-2014 04:53 PM
    You don't have to pay the $199 up front for the device. Instead the full retail cost of $599 is amortized over $24 months. Then you get a discount on your per line cost per month. Bottom line--most people end up paying the same or a few dollars less per month with the Edge program.

However, the real advantage is that you can upgrade your device after you've paid for 75% of your phone, or 18 months. If you can't wait 18 months to get the latest device you pay the amount out of pocket that would get you to the 75% level.

Verizon Edge - Verizon Wireless
    Thanks. I will have to read through the FAQ. So instead of buying the phone at the discounted price, you have to pay the full price and tax over two years? Then again, you get a line discount. No company comes up with plans to benefit the customer. Somehow, Verizon is getting more this way

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    11-25-2014 06:14 AM
    Thanks. I will have to read through the FAQ. So instead of buying the phone at the discounted price, you have to pay the full price and tax over two years?
    That is correct.

Then again, you get a line discount.
    The line discount is a factor. But you must take 6 GB/month or more to get $15/month line credit, or 10GB/month or more to get the $25/month credit. In my case we're going for the 10GB/month plan, which means each line will pay $6 more per month, but we were previously on the 3GB/month plan. So the four of us are getting 7GB/month more data for $24 a month more.

No company comes up with plans to benefit the customer. Somehow, Verizon is getting more this way
    I think they end up selling more phones, as people tend to trade up before the two years is over.
    11-25-2014 08:36 AM
    And I could be completely wrong, but if you Edge up early don't you have to turn in the old phone?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.
    11-25-2014 08:39 AM
    And I could be completely wrong, but if you Edge up early don't you have to turn in the old phone?

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.
    Yes, you have to turn in your current phone on early Edge. If you wait until your 2 years is up you can keep the phone and can do Edge all over again.
    11-25-2014 08:54 AM
    That is correct.

The line discount is a factor. But you must take 6 GB/month or more to get $15/month line credit, or 10GB/month or more to get the $25/month credit. In my case we're going for the 10GB/month plan, which means each line will pay $6 more per month, but we were previously on the 3GB/month plan. So the four of us are getting 7GB/month more data for $24 a month more.

I think they end up selling more phones, as people tend to trade up before the two years is over.
    I am currently on the 2gb plan. I guess I'll have to do some numbers and see what is better. Upgrading earlier is a nice feature, since these bastards release a new phone every six months.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    11-25-2014 12:37 PM
    Is a Blackberry Tour a smartphone ? Seems so long ago I am not sure .
    11-29-2014 09:41 AM
    Yes.

Posted via Turbo
    11-29-2014 09:00 PM
    It absolutely is. I actually used my old BlackBerry Tour (BB9630 I believe) as a trade in for my Turbo on 11/4.

From the literature I originally read this promotion ends the end of December

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    11-29-2014 09:31 PM
    does anyone know what is the cheapest smartphone eligible? Thinking about ordering something off ebay and netting the difference. Also does a iphone 3gs qualify?
    12-01-2014 10:38 AM
    Was the $100 off only on the Turno ?
    12-01-2014 11:12 AM
    Was the $100 off only on the Turno ?
    This trade in offer is only for the Turbo from what I am aware. Verizon may have something for other phones but I haven't looked into that since I was pretty set on the Turbo.
    12-01-2014 12:58 PM
    Did anyone got the trade online done and got less than $100 credit?

Thanks
    12-01-2014 06:03 PM
    I have a similar question. I want to trade in on line since they are charging 100 more for 64gb in the store, and 50 more online

UPDATE

Ordered on-line, no $100 rebate on order.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-01-2014 08:24 PM
    I'm not seeing the $100 trade in credit on the Verizon website anymore. This is not to say it's still available, it's just not front and center like it used to be.
    12-01-2014 10:18 PM
    does anyone know what is the cheapest smartphone eligible? Thinking about ordering something off ebay and netting the difference. Also does a iphone 3gs qualify?
    You can trade in ANY working smartphone, including an iPhone 3gs, if your contract with Verizon is expiring, and get the $100 credit. You can do a new 2 year contract or do the Edge program.

If your contract is not expiring you can get onto the Edge program but you must trade in your currently activated phone, and you won't get the $100 credit.
    12-01-2014 10:19 PM
68 123