Not on the Best List

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
1. Aesthetics: "looks ugly" (most don't elaborate but some mention the thickness, capacitative buttons, bezel/chin) --> Subjective! Meanwhile, most do not mention the solid build quality at all.
2. Camera: often called bad or horrible, noting that pics are not best-in-class, low-light pics below avg, shutter speed slow ---> I believe overly-critical; of course it's not among the best, but it's certainly not a bad camera
3. Verizon: exclusivity and bloatware ---> bloatware issues are overblown (minor annoyances but easily disabled, it's not 2010); exclusivity concerns are legit, but also somewhat over-emphasized (as others have mentioned above)

1) I agree to a point, it's kind of clunky looking but it's just a phone, most people don't give a hoot. If I want a fashion/status/conforming piece of hardware I'll get an iPhone. Not sure what your criteria is for your solid build comment, is this engineered any differently than other phones to stand up to abuse better?
2) From what I've seen the camera gets the job done for the most part - good enough for me. I'm not Ansel Adams so I'm not losing sleep over this factor.
3) Bloat - to be fair I see plenty of criticisms over AT&T's bloat too when reading reviews/comments on their products.

This phone is looking better and better to me all the time, I might pull the trigger once they get a thin case developed for the BN. I want the 64 but don't want a phone full of hand cheese, smeg, goo, and other microscopic goodies after a year or so.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
1) I agree to a point, it's kind of clunky looking but it's just a phone, most people don't give a hoot. If I want a fashion/status/conforming piece of hardware I'll get an iPhone. Not sure what your criteria is for your solid build comment, is this engineered any differently than other phones to stand up to abuse better?
2) From what I've seen the camera gets the job done for the most part - good enough for me. I'm not Ansel Adams so I'm not losing sleep over this factor.
3) Bloat - to be fair I see plenty of criticisms over AT&T's bloat too when reading reviews/comments on their products.

This phone is looking better and better to me all the time, I might pull the trigger once they get a thin case developed for the BN. I want the 64 but don't want a phone full of hand cheese, smeg, goo, and other microscopic goodies after a year or so.

For build quality, the Kevlar is there on both versions, it's not mostly plastic, has the splash resistant nanocoating, and obviously it's one of the thickest and heaviest phones out there - though some reviews would make you think that those differences are in inches and pounds, as opposed to millimeters & grams. Sure it can be called clunky or chunky, but it's more of a tank than a coaster - not cheaply made. Of course, that's always been the reputation of the Droid line anyway.

I certainly haven't read every review for all carrier-exclusive phones, but I have read and watched just about all of the Droid Turbo reviews that I can find, and the bloatware issue comes up often as a giant negative. Yes it's an annoyance, takes up a few gb, and requires some effort to disable - but in the bigger picture, how much weight should be given here? Those apps are easily and quickly disabled, do not have a large footprint (esp with the 64gb version), and do not seem to contribute much to lag, which is as close to nonexistent as any phone out there.

A number of those reviewers bagging on the bloat do not then also mention how the Droid Turbo is close to stock Android otherwise. You could arguably consider much of TouchWiz, Sense, etc similar to bloatware in that it bogs down the pure Android experience. I have certainly seen reviews criticize TouchWiz, but it seems to me that the Droid Turbo bloat bashing is disproportionate.

Obviously I get that everyone weighs criteria differently. But when some website reviewers seemingly write off a phone by citing looks, camera shutter speed, or bloatware, that seems highly based off of personal preferences rather than objectivity.

For the BN, I am a bit worried about fraying issues, but I don't intend on ever taking it out of its case. Smeg & goo be damned!!

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I would not worry about the build quality or kevlar on the DT. My Droid X lasted 3 years and still looks great with never using a case. If not so technically out of date, I might still be using it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The Kevlar back on my Droid Razr MaxxHD still looks like new. And despite the fact that I have a Turbo and even a 2014 Moto X, the MaxxHD is still my favorite and most-carried phone. I think that phone was a high-water mark for Motorola. It's not screaming fast by todays standards, but honestly, if you are like me and just need a dependable phone that's not huge but is a great communications gadget and built like the proverbial brick s***-house, it's *still* a good choice.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I liked my Razor Maxx HD and I like my Turbo 64G even better. I have a Verizon shell holster case on it, like the HD, so the ballistic nylon will never be an issue.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I also agree that the turbo should be on the list. Verizon exclusive or not.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 64G using Tapatalk.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The Kevlar back on my Droid Razr MaxxHD still looks like new. And despite the fact that I have a Turbo and even a 2014 Moto X, the MaxxHD is still my favorite and most-carried phone. I think that phone was a high-water mark for Motorola. It's not screaming fast by todays standards, but honestly, if you are like me and just need a dependable phone that's not huge but is a great communications gadget and built like the proverbial brick s***-house, it's *still* a good choice.
Agree, the RMHD is a beast. Still rocking mine after 2+ years. It is much snappier since the KitKat update. I am holding out to see what the HTC One M9 looks like in a couple months.