I went from a Droid 4 to the Turbo.

In my contacts I had a Dianne and a Diane M (popular name in my family) both of which I could call using voice command through by BlueAnt Q3 Bluetooth headset.

My Turbo is not recognizing either as such. When I say "call Dianne" it dials "Diane M". I temporarily removed Diane M. but it still does not recognize "Dianne".

I have tried a different Bluetooth headset but it does the same thing.

I cannot believe that the voice command that worked so well on a model as old as the Droid 4 is inferior on the Turbo.

Am I missing something?
    11-30-2014 08:52 PM
    Sounds like my GS3. It doesn't like the name Sue, never once has it dialed it. I was hoping the Droid was the answer to my voice command issues...maybe not.
    11-30-2014 09:12 PM
    Create a nickname for one (or both) of the Dianes. In the people app, edit the contact. At the bottom is a button that says "add another field"; choose nickname and add a nickname. Use that nickname when you voice commend for that contact.
    11-30-2014 10:51 PM
    Thanks for the tip doogald I will give it a try.

I still think its crazy that a system that worked so well on a 2 year old phone does not work as well on its latest offering.
    12-01-2014 07:46 PM
    Okay, I tried using a nickname..., no joy. I get the same response as before, "Didn't catch that".

The weird thing is if I use voice dialing directly to the phone, it works fine. The problem only occurs with the Bluetooth.

This is really annoying me since I like the phone aside from this issue.
    12-04-2014 06:12 AM
    I had the same problem with Voice command issues with the Turbo so I switched to Cyberon voice commander. Now I do not any issues with say call Mary J it calls Mary J and get it right 95% of the time. You do have to give it 2 or 3 seconds then say the name. I use it all the time when I'm driving, hope this helps.
    12-04-2014 10:10 AM
    I had the same problem with Voice command issues with the Turbo so I switched to Cyberon voice commander. Now I do not any issues with say call Mary J it calls Mary J and get it right 95% of the time. You do have to give it 2 or 3 seconds then say the name. I use it all the time when I'm driving, hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.
    12-04-2014 10:41 AM
    Okay, I tried using a nickname..., no joy. I get the same response as before, "Didn't catch that".

The weird thing is if I use voice dialing directly to the phone, it works fine. The problem only occurs with the Bluetooth
    Another idea is not to use BT. You should be able to say the launch phrase for Moto Voice and then the dialing command, without BT. That's the way I dial in my car, at least the few times I actually dial the phone while driving. If that works, there's your solution.
    12-04-2014 11:15 AM
    I use the BT for safety reasons. I have seen to many close calls on the highway because people are distracted by their phones.

I stopped off at my local Verizon store and talked to a rep. Despite his efforts he was unable to resolve the issue. He tried his BT on my phone which resulted in the same issue. We then contacted Verizon's tier 2 support who had not heard of the issue and instructed us to try my BT on another phone. We had the same result proving that the issue is with the Turbo.

Tier 2 contacted Motorola about the issue who thinks the upgrade to Lollipop will resolve it. So now I have to wait until it gets pushed to my phone.
    12-04-2014 06:32 PM
    I use the BT for safety reasons. I have seen to many close calls on the highway because people are distracted by their phones.
    I don't think you understood the last post. Set up the Moto Voice prompt with a launch phrase. You can have your BT on still, but just use your phrase to tell the phone directly to dial your contact, don't go through the BT. Once it dials your BT should take over for the actual call. Works fine with the BT system in my car.
    12-04-2014 07:58 PM
    Right, I meant not to use the BT headset to launch the dial command.
    12-04-2014 08:09 PM
    I don't think you understood the last post. Set up the Moto Voice prompt with a launch phrase. You can have your BT on still, but just use your phrase to tell the phone directly to dial your contact, don't go through the BT. Once it dials your BT should take over for the actual call. Works fine with the BT system in my car.
    Right, I meant not to use the BT headset to launch the dial command.
    I can give that a try however I still think it is a step backward when one has to go through such a process considering it was not necessary or a 2 year old model phone.
    12-05-2014 06:01 AM
    Create a nickname for one (or both) of the Dianes. In the people app, edit the contact. At the bottom is a button that says "add another field"; choose nickname and add a nickname. Use that nickname when you voice commend for that contact.
    That's what I was going to suggest. Years ago on my Motorola Krazr it wouldn't recognize my nephew's name so I changed the contact to nephew and it worked like a charm and I still have it set up like that to this day.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64
    12-05-2014 06:48 AM
    I can give that a try however I still think it is a step backward when one has to go through such a process considering it was not necessary or a 2 year old model phone.
    If it works, at least there is an alternative. You have two weeks from purchase to exchange it back and get a different device that works the way you need.

It doesn't seem like much a process, though. "Hey phone, call Dianne". (It may be that Google doesn't like the non-traditional name spelling, by the way, so maybe calling with first and last names would be better?)
    12-05-2014 11:47 AM
    Aside from this issue, I really like the phone. I am hoping Lollipop will resolve the problem.
    12-05-2014 09:02 PM