12-21-2014 11:16 AM
78 1234
tools
    I'm a Galaxy Note 4 owner, however I've had very similar frustrations with my camera. I think it would be AWESOME if AC users would use those: "Post your pics here" threads and not just post their very best shots to try to impress everyone, but to post even the blurry hot piles of shiz photos that we so often end up with on an under-performing camera.

I just think it would be hilarious and almost comforting to see that everyone else is getting epic crap in return for their efforts of getting a good shot. I know in the Note 4 forums, everyone says: "If you don't want it to be blurry, use sports mode!" So I use sports mode and it looks no different than auto.
    I was debating between the Droid Turbo and the Note 4 and I visited the Note 4 forum and read a bunch of threads, especially the camera threads. Yes, they have the same complaints with low light and moving objects.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...e-4-forum.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...a-related.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-pictures.html

Just about every forum I visited had the same complaints, even over in the Apple compound.

I will continue to experiment with my Turbo's camera. I can definitely say I'm a bit disheartened by the delay between tapping the screen and the actual capturing of the image in low light. But I can already tell this camera is miles better than the camera in my Maxx HD.

Moving objects and blurry images is easily remedied by using a $100 point-and-shoot camera instead of using a $600 cell phone camera. However, I'm going to give it my best shot using the Turbo.
    12-04-2014 03:55 PM
    I was debating between the Droid Turbo and the Note 4 and I visited the Note 4 forum and read a bunch of threads, especially the camera threads. Yes, they have the same complaints with low light and moving objects.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...e-4-forum.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...a-related.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-pictures.html

Just about every forum I visited had the same complaints, even over in the Apple compound.

I will continue to experiment with my Turbo's camera. I can definitely say I'm a bit disheartened by the delay between tapping the screen and the actual capturing of the image in low light. But I can already tell this camera is miles better than the camera in my Maxx HD.

Moving objects and blurry images is easily remedied by using a $100 point-and-shoot camera instead of using a $600 cell phone camera. However, I'm going to give it my best shot using the Turbo.
    Yeah I bought the Note 4 because I loved the Camera on my brothers' Note 3 when I saw pics he'd take, and everyone said the 4 was even better. However, my daughter is 2 and my other daughter is 4 months and guaranteed 99 out of 100 photos will be blurry. BUT, if I want to photograph the side of an old barn with a sunset behind it, you can guarantee it will look outstanding. Problem is, I'd rather good shots of my kids than some barn.
    jamielov likes this.
    12-04-2014 04:02 PM
    Yeah I bought the Note 4 because I loved the Camera on my brothers' Note 3 when I saw pics he'd take, and everyone said the 4 was even better. However, my daughter is 2 and my other daughter is 4 months and guaranteed 99 out of 100 photos will be blurry. BUT, if I want to photograph the side of an old barn with a sunset behind it, you can guarantee it will look outstanding. Problem is, I'd rather good shots of my kids than some barn.
    Both my kids are teens and I have no pets in the house. I'll have to find something else moving in low light to take pictures of. Maybe the deer that go through my backyard at sunset.
    12-04-2014 04:12 PM
    Just about every forum I visited had the same complaints, even over in the Apple compound. .
    not so much in the windows central nokia forums.
    12-04-2014 04:14 PM
    not so much in the windows central nokia forums.
    Yeah, you got me there! I didn't visit there. Those devices are known for having awesome cameras. I think they are a camera that they built a phone around. I've heard they have a slow shutter though.
    12-04-2014 06:01 PM
    I was at best buy the other day and picked up a $150ish canon or some such small pocket camera, set it to auto and waved my hand in front of it and took a pic. Looked just as blurry as my DT. Is that an upper or a downer? lol
    12-04-2014 07:01 PM
    Probably you are taking pictures in low light, the camera widens the aperture as far as it can go, increases the ISO setting as much as that can go.. but its still too dark so it can only increase the shutter time, it probably ends up too long and causes the camera to pick up shake.. causing the blur.
    12-04-2014 08:33 PM
    Probably you are taking pictures in low light, the camera widens the aperture as far as it can go, increases the ISO setting as much as that can go.. but its still too dark so it can only increase the shutter time, it probably ends up too long and causes the camera to pick up shake.. causing the blur.
    That is the laymans textbook explanation, correct. The issue is this effect varies to a degree with the quality of the lens/sensor/software and the DT is proving thus far to be average at best for anything other than still-life shots.

Those of you that have multiple devices around might try taking pics of something moving that's repeatable, like a ceiling fan on low maybe, and see how it comes out.
    12-04-2014 09:44 PM
    Like so..

Top to bottom, DT no flash, DT with flash, Nikon no flash, and the one that looks like I turned the fan off
    is the Nikon WITH the flash. Bare in mind the camera body, not the lens, cost more than the entire DT does.
    And it's a cheap one.

I have another pro-sumer shooter I can test later if I can find it, and an iphone 4S but a quick check
    the other night it blurred just as much as the DT did.

This is hardly the be-all end-all of motion tests but it's handy and repeatable at night with the same two
    artificial lights on, and clearly enough cam and flash will stop time.

12-04-2014 10:08 PM
    Like so..
    This is hardly the be-all end-all of motion tests but it's handy and repeatable at night with the same two
    artificial lights on, and clearly enough cam and flash will stop time.
    Love your idea, so I went with it.

Natural lighting. Overcast day. I am laying on my bed, camera is about 4 feet from fan. In all instances top photo is no flash, bottom photo is flash on. Photos were resized to 1200 px width and saved for web to reduce file size using Adobe Photo Elements.

First shots are with my old Maxx HD. Doesn't seem to be any difference in stop-motion with or without flash. The dreaded blue tint rears its (inconsistent) head in the flash on shot.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-maxx-hd-no-flas.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-maxx-hd-flash-o.jpg

Next up is Droid Turbo. Again, not much difference in stop-motion with or without flash. Actually the shot without flash looks brighter than the one with flash. Turbo took a long time trying to focus. After tapping the screen to snap the shot the focus circle was busy for perhaps 2 seconds. Definite shutter lag. I kept the camera as still as possible. Unacceptable shutter lag, IMO. But it almost froze the ceiling fan.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-turbo-no-flash.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-turbo-flash-.jpg

Next up is my 9 year old point-and-shoot Canon Powershot A520. I believe this is a 4M camera.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-canon-no-flash.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-canon-flash-.jpg
    12-05-2014 11:43 AM
    Looks to me like if anything the DT does a better job than the RMHD that I keep hearing did so much better at motion shots.
    I've never owned one so I have no personal experience. The grass is always greener...
    I noticed the focus lag too, on the blades was slow or not at all, I focused on the center light bells.
    Interesting that the old A520 is worse off with no flash, and much better with what I assume is a way stronger flash than the phone cams.

If anyone can figure out how to use a better flash with the phone cam that'd be an interesting experiment.
    12-05-2014 12:16 PM
    Looks to me like if anything the DT does a better job than the RMHD that I keep hearing did so much better at motion shots. I've never owned one so I have no personal experience. The grass is always greener...
    Yes, the Turbo's camera is miles better than the Razr Maxx HD. Some here have said they got better results with the Droid Maxx over the Turbo.

I noticed the focus lag too, on the blades was slow or not at all, I focused on the center light bells.
    Interesting that the old A520 is worse off with no flash, and much better with what I assume is a way stronger flash than the phone cams.
    I also focused on the center hub of the fan. The focusing lag was weird--like the camera was thinking about what it wanted to do. Even when I went off center and focused on the tips of the fan blades it was still....thinking. I should probably try the experiment with the drag-to-focus feature off.
    12-05-2014 01:11 PM
    Just to clarify my take. .my results, which I said were better, were with the MAXX, not the RMHD.
    12-05-2014 01:29 PM
    I thought a Maxx was a Razor Maxx HD? lol who names these things?

At any rate I'd love to see some more com-par-o of moving fans with other devices.
    I'd like to see if really good lighting would improve the results from the DT as well, my
    house is so dark with the wood interior it pretty well absorbs light.
    12-05-2014 01:35 PM
    I'd like to see if really good lighting would improve the results from the DT as well, my
    house is so dark with the wood interior it pretty well absorbs light.
    Next sunny day I'll give it another go with my ceiling fan. The room faces south so gets lots of light.
    12-05-2014 02:04 PM
    I'll get the wife's i4S involved tonight, and I think I have a prosumer cannon and an ancient vintage HP 1mp digicam just for kicks.
    And a Nexus 7. I like semi-controlled testing.
    12-05-2014 06:36 PM
    I'll get the wife's i4S involved tonight, and I think I have a prosumer cannon and an ancient vintage HP 1mp digicam just for kicks.
    And a Nexus 7. I like semi-controlled testing.
    Looking forward to it. I also have a Nexus 7. I should have thrown that one into the mix as well.
    12-05-2014 08:31 PM
    Trying to find objects in motion to test for a blurry picture and have resorted to taking pictures of sports on my TV. Here's a shot of a hockey game. I had the zoom set at about 2.0X. Photo taken in a room with only a 25 watt light on. Therefore almost all the light is coming from the TV. I dunno, I think it's pretty good. Photo was cropped to 1920 px width. Click to enlarge. I see that the photo was also taken with HDR activated.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-hockey-capture.jpg
    12-05-2014 08:35 PM
    I suspect the brightness of the screen itself is helping matters. No arguement from me that given enough light moving pics are fine.
    This is why I picked the fan, it was repeatable and handy.
    12-05-2014 11:00 PM
    Canon SX10IS, great little zoom cam, my very talented Wife has taken published photos with this thing despite it's
    age and target audience. If anyone is experienced enough to want to compare exif data between the DT and any of these
    let me know. Again it looks to me like the no-flash shot shows almost the exact same blur between the DT and the Canon,
    but the flash, oh the flash....

Is this a hint at why phone co's are trying dual LED flashes and such? Have they figured out the tiny single LED
    flash is woefully inadequate?

No Flash

With Flash

Zoom No Flash

Zoom With Flash
    12-05-2014 11:06 PM
    Hewlett Packard C200
    1, count em, ONE megapixel.
    I'm a sucker for $1 thrift store cams.

No Flash, this one actually manages to be worse than the others I've tested so far. As well it should being FIFTEEN years old...

With Flash, yet again, even with a single megapixel to play with and being over a decade old, it still freezes the fan fine.
    12-05-2014 11:18 PM
    Good ole Nexus 7 2013.
    Great tablet, crappy camera.
    It's actually OK outside for casual use, and better than the HP
    Other than artifacting and it being a 5mp or whatever it is, fan blur looks bout the same to me.

No Flash

No With Flash, it has not flash.
    It is.
    Flashless.
    12-05-2014 11:23 PM
    I also had a hard time focusing on the Christmas tree. How I eventually got it to work was point it at something else in the room that it focused on then slowly moved the phone to the tree and it worked. Didn't change any lighting. A bit of a pain

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-img_20141201_203725340.jpg
    12-06-2014 12:22 AM
    Here is a shot of my ceiling fan when the room is fairly brightly lit. Resized photo to 1200 px width and "saved for web" to reduce file size.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-ceiling-fan-turbo-no-flash_.jpg
    12-06-2014 12:56 PM
    I did a little bit of experimenting today. I closed the drapes in our living room and dining room (north and south side of house) to darken the room. I then had my son roll a multi-colored soccer ball next to me as I walked to get a repeatable rolling speed. In other words, in the pics the ball is rolling at a walking pace, or about 3 mph. The ball is being rolled left-to-right.

I then used the camera on auto-focus, no flash, no drag and focus. Next, I opened the drapes in the dining room (south side) to let in a little bit of light. This light did not reach the area where the ball was rolling but provided some light in the background about 14 feet away. Finally I tried it with the flash on. No retakes, no editing. What you see is what I got. I did resize the pics to 1200 px width and "saved for web" to reduce file size.

I'm not pleased with the results but I'm not bitter about it. I guess it's about what I thought would happen. The biggest concern is the shutter lag. I would get the ball in the center of the frame, tap the screen to take the shot, and then when I review the shot the ball is almost out of the picture.

Here we go....

Drapes closed, both sides of house.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball3_closed_dr.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball5_closed_dr.jpg

In this shot, I tried to take the shot before the ball crossed in front of me. I was tracking the ball as evidenced by the background blur.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball6_closed_dr.jpg

Now the drapes are open in the dining room providing some light from behind me.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball0_open_dr.jpg

This is probably the best shot of the bunch.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball2_open_dr.jpg

Finally, here's one with the drapes open and the flash on. The ball almost got out of the frame before the shot was taken and processed.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball_flash_on_open_dr.jpg

Conclusions: The shutter lag is terrible on this camera. If the light is low enough and/or the object being photographed is moving fast enough, you might get a picture of background only with no object in it. The thing about the 21MP camera is that there is enough "real estate" in the photos that you could crop out the parts of excessive background and end up with a decent shot. Like this:

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-soccerball0_open_cropped.jpg

But you shouldn't need to do this. Moto, fix the shutter lag, please!

I wonder how this experiment would play out with other phones, ones considered to have really good cameras, like the Apple 6 or Note 4. I suppose I could try my Maxx HD, but I'm certain the results would be worse.
    12-06-2014 01:41 PM
78 1234