12-21-2014 12:16 PM
78 1234
tools
    And sadly, thus far, moto doesn't see any of this as an issue. Thats what concerns/upsets me the most
    12-06-2014 03:06 PM
    That's actually better than I expected with the rolling ball.
    Focus time is deff an issue, and the DT isn't especially fast at it, two of us noticed it could not focus
    or took forever to focus on a moving fan blade. If you could lock focus and have the camera stationary it might be
    interesting to see how the rolling ball pic turns out, but I'm not sure one can lock the focus.

I had a Nexus 5, an Iphone 6 and a 6+ in the house over the holiday, wish I'd thought to try this stuff when they were here.

I really want to see results from one of the Nokia's that seem to have such good reputations too. I was half tempted to try a windows
    phone before buying the DT.
    12-06-2014 03:17 PM
    And sadly, thus far, moto doesn't see any of this as an issue. Thats what concerns/upsets me the most
    They've got to know there are lots of people unsatisfied with the camera and their camera app. I just went to Play Store to see if there was an update for the Moto camera app and there are plenty of scathing reviews.
    jamielov likes this.
    12-06-2014 03:22 PM
    That's actually better than I expected with the rolling ball.
    Focus time is deff an issue, and the DT isn't especially fast at it, two of us noticed it could not focus
    or took forever to focus on a moving fan blade. If you could lock focus and have the camera stationary it might be
    interesting to see how the rolling ball pic turns out, but I'm not sure one can lock the focus.
    I've read the Lenovo Super Camera App on XDA developers site fixes the shutter lag. I'm afraid to try it though..
    12-06-2014 03:26 PM
    For folks that are really having a regular problem with this, kids sporting moments being missed and such, you might resort to just taking a video and grabbing stills out of it later. The slo-mo is pretty neat and the 4K seems to work well in my limited testing.
    The slo-mo is actually a riot if one has dogs and such.
    12-06-2014 03:29 PM
    For folks that are really having a regular problem with this, kids sporting moments being missed and such, you might resort to just taking a video and grabbing stills out of it later. The slo-mo is pretty neat and the 4K seems to work well in my limited testing.
    The slo-mo is actually a riot if one has dogs and such.
    Not that I'm disagreeing with what you are suggesting, but doesn't this, sadly, seem like a lot of crap to go through for a useable picture, you know?
    12-06-2014 03:42 PM
    Needs must when the Motorola camera devil drives...
    12-06-2014 03:43 PM
    OK, I am trying hard to get blurry photos of moving objects. No doubt the shutter/photo processing is slow. I was at my Mom's house today and sister had her two dogs over there. Awesome opportunity to test the camera. Room was decently lit, not real bright but good. Camera on drag-to-focus. Pics were reduced in size to 1200 px width.

Oscar, the long-haired dachshund, trotting.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-oscar1.jpg

Oscar bounding along at about 3/4 top speed. Really the only blurry photo I took.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-oscar2.jpg

Oscar and Betsy sparring.

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-oscar_betsy1.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-oscar_betsy2.jpg

Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-oscar_betsy3.jpg

Yes, the shutter is slow, but I can't condemn the camera as being incapable of taking pictures of moving objects. The dogs were basically wrestling each other with lots of head and body movement.
    12-06-2014 06:30 PM
    Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-img_20141205_124220814_hdr.jpg

Horses on the run!
    Masheen likes this.
    12-06-2014 08:16 PM
    On the dog pics, I'd bet the white carpet helps with overall light level a lot. My place, and yard, is all dark earth tones that absorb light.
    Looks good though.

Re: horse pics, I've been able to take photo's of cars passing on the road, both of us going 45mph or so, and it'll freeze even the wheels.
    No explanation, just observation. Distance seems to help some.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:03 PM
    On the dog pics, I'd bet the white carpet helps with overall light level a lot.
    Agreed.

Re: horse pics, I've been able to take photo's of cars passing on the road, both of us going 45mph or so, and it'll freeze even the wheels.
    And lighting.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-06-2014 10:08 PM
    I don't know if any of you are into flashlights as hobbies, but I have a surefire 6p with a nice cree led dropin that used to do weapon light duty that I might swap out for a flood/fill head and see if that will function as a sudo-flash and see what happens. They are quite bright but I'm not sure if they are good camera flash-bright or not. Shame you can't trigger an external flash with the DT somehow for testing.
    12-06-2014 10:29 PM
    On the dog pics, I'd bet the white carpet helps with overall light level a lot. My place, and yard, is all dark earth tones that absorb light.
    Looks good though.

Yep, depth of field is less critical as distance increases. The closer the shot, the harder it is to capture sharp moving images.
    12-06-2014 11:15 PM
    I really wish one of the serious digital camera review sites could play with one of these, I suspect they could say given some experience pretty quickly whether it's software, hardware, or lens. I know a bit but not enough.

I've also yet to see in person a phone camera that does any better. I'm open to the idea but I'm yet to see it.
    Grass always being greener is a consistent human trait.
    12-06-2014 11:37 PM
    This was taken on the 21mp setting while the chickens were moving, I have no problem with blurry pics...yet.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?-8915.jpg  
    JimBen73 and wolf_walker like this.
    12-08-2014 08:58 PM
    This was taken on the 21mp setting while the chickens were moving, I have no problem with with blurry pics...yet.

Posted via the Android Central App
    That's a decent amount of light, so it won't be blurry. When light gets a bit scant is when there is a potential problem.
    12-08-2014 09:13 PM
    Glad I'm not the only one with chickens and techy gadgets.
    12-09-2014 02:55 AM
    Yup I enjoy my critters, I have a small farm and raise most of my food, wouldn't have it any other way.
    wolf_walker likes this.
    12-09-2014 05:46 AM
    Coming from an S3, the camera is absolutely terrible. No scene modes or options at all and I'm finding myself taking 5+ pictures of something to make sure I get at least one that isn't blurry. If it isn't fixed in the lollipop update I think I'm going to an S5.
    12-09-2014 05:00 PM
    You know, I thought that too about my S4, and I don't completely un-think it.
    However I did have the opportunity to hold them side by side and take a bunch of photo's at the
    same instant and, with the S4 on auto at least, I'd say the DT did about 90% as well.
    Like you said this isn't testing the Samsung shooting modes, but I was a little less bummed
    after.
    12-09-2014 05:24 PM
    Under the "Misery Loves Company" banner:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-i-e-kids.html
    12-12-2014 03:17 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141205_124220814_HDR.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	739.9 KB 
ID:	152779

Horses on the run!
    Lmao. If this pic was taken with the Turbo then everybody complaining needs to shut up.
    12-12-2014 04:12 PM
    ^ Uhh...apparently you don't understand the importance of light to this issue.
    jamielov likes this.
    12-12-2014 04:22 PM
    Lmao. If this pic was taken with the Turbo then everybody complaining needs to shut up.
    So one example of a good picture should shut everyone up, huh? Do you work for Moto? Dear Christ, why not read the 2000 other complaints instead of using an example of ONE picture as the basis for judgment. Besides the light, I also notice distance is a factor. When I'm playing around with the camera at hockey games, I can usually get clearer shots at things in motion, not far away...much like the horses in that picture.
    12-12-2014 05:36 PM
    A fellow on another forum suggested, and I think rightly, that when light is low, a camera can either extend the shutter time or alter the ISO to expose the image. These are film terms of course but still. Extending the shutter time gives a better quality image but induces blur with movement, using the ISO change avoids that but introduces garbage into the image. I believe on a firmware level the manufacturer has to decide how that curve is setup, at x light use x iso and y shutter speed, and there is some room for variation in there. On a big camera one can adjust it, and with better hardware there is more room as well. I think they choose image quality over ability to have a fast shutter at low light levels, if that makes sense...
    Masheen and tschirtzinger like this.
    12-12-2014 05:42 PM
78 1234