Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?

I hope Motorola fixes this issue stat. One of the reasons I bought this phone was for the camera.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

And sadly...if you read my post below and see motos response...they don't see this as an issue/problem. I'm at the point, for the first time, where i am starting to debate alternative phones to purchase. If this isn't fixed I can't see limited my photos for the next year to buildings, flowers and anything else that doesn't move.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Not to overstate the obvious, but if you want to truly test the camera, take some shots of moving objects. I don't think there is anyone left that needs convincing that the turbo can take good pictures of objects that are absolutely still. The real test is getting a useable pic of any object in motion and not having to take 12 shots to do so.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm a Galaxy Note 4 owner, however I've had very similar frustrations with my camera. I think it would be AWESOME if AC users would use those: "Post your pics here" threads and not just post their very best shots to try to impress everyone, but to post even the blurry hot piles of shiz photos that we so often end up with on an under-performing camera.

I just think it would be hilarious and almost comforting to see that everyone else is getting epic crap in return for their efforts of getting a good shot. I know in the Note 4 forums, everyone says: "If you don't want it to be blurry, use sports mode!" So I use sports mode and it looks no different than auto.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm a Galaxy Note 4 owner, however I've had very similar frustrations with my camera. I think it would be AWESOME if AC users would use those: "Post your pics here" threads and not just post their very best shots to try to impress everyone, but to post even the blurry hot piles of shiz photos that we so often end up with on an under-performing camera.

I just think it would be hilarious and almost comforting to see that everyone else is getting epic crap in return for their efforts of getting a good shot. I know in the Note 4 forums, everyone says: "If you don't want it to be blurry, use sports mode!" So I use sports mode and it looks no different than auto.

I was debating between the Droid Turbo and the Note 4 and I visited the Note 4 forum and read a bunch of threads, especially the camera threads. Yes, they have the same complaints with low light and moving objects.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...6828-camera-thread-spied-ac-note-4-forum.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...msung-false-advertisement-camera-related.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...galaxy-note-4-cannot-take-clear-pictures.html

Just about every forum I visited had the same complaints, even over in the Apple compound.

I will continue to experiment with my Turbo's camera. I can definitely say I'm a bit disheartened by the delay between tapping the screen and the actual capturing of the image in low light. But I can already tell this camera is miles better than the camera in my Maxx HD.

Moving objects and blurry images is easily remedied by using a $100 point-and-shoot camera instead of using a $600 cell phone camera. However, I'm going to give it my best shot using the Turbo.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I was debating between the Droid Turbo and the Note 4 and I visited the Note 4 forum and read a bunch of threads, especially the camera threads. Yes, they have the same complaints with low light and moving objects.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...6828-camera-thread-spied-ac-note-4-forum.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...msung-false-advertisement-camera-related.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...galaxy-note-4-cannot-take-clear-pictures.html

Just about every forum I visited had the same complaints, even over in the Apple compound.

I will continue to experiment with my Turbo's camera. I can definitely say I'm a bit disheartened by the delay between tapping the screen and the actual capturing of the image in low light. But I can already tell this camera is miles better than the camera in my Maxx HD.

Moving objects and blurry images is easily remedied by using a $100 point-and-shoot camera instead of using a $600 cell phone camera. However, I'm going to give it my best shot using the Turbo.

Yeah I bought the Note 4 because I loved the Camera on my brothers' Note 3 when I saw pics he'd take, and everyone said the 4 was even better. However, my daughter is 2 and my other daughter is 4 months and guaranteed 99 out of 100 photos will be blurry. BUT, if I want to photograph the side of an old barn with a sunset behind it, you can guarantee it will look outstanding. Problem is, I'd rather good shots of my kids than some barn.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I bought the Note 4 because I loved the Camera on my brothers' Note 3 when I saw pics he'd take, and everyone said the 4 was even better. However, my daughter is 2 and my other daughter is 4 months and guaranteed 99 out of 100 photos will be blurry. BUT, if I want to photograph the side of an old barn with a sunset behind it, you can guarantee it will look outstanding. Problem is, I'd rather good shots of my kids than some barn.

Both my kids are teens and I have no pets in the house. I'll have to find something else moving in low light to take pictures of. Maybe the deer that go through my backyard at sunset.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

not so much in the windows central nokia forums.

Yeah, you got me there! I didn't visit there. Those devices are known for having awesome cameras. I think they are a camera that they built a phone around. I've heard they have a slow shutter though.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I was at best buy the other day and picked up a $150ish canon or some such small pocket camera, set it to auto and waved my hand in front of it and took a pic. Looked just as blurry as my DT. Is that an upper or a downer? lol

snowpiercer

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site

Probably you are taking pictures in low light, the camera widens the aperture as far as it can go, increases the ISO setting as much as that can go.. but its still too dark so it can only increase the shutter time, it probably ends up too long and causes the camera to pick up shake.. causing the blur.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Probably you are taking pictures in low light, the camera widens the aperture as far as it can go, increases the ISO setting as much as that can go.. but its still too dark so it can only increase the shutter time, it probably ends up too long and causes the camera to pick up shake.. causing the blur.

That is the laymans textbook explanation, correct. The issue is this effect varies to a degree with the quality of the lens/sensor/software and the DT is proving thus far to be average at best for anything other than still-life shots.

Those of you that have multiple devices around might try taking pics of something moving that's repeatable, like a ceiling fan on low maybe, and see how it comes out.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Like so..

Top to bottom, DT no flash, DT with flash, Nikon no flash, and the one that looks like I turned the fan off
is the Nikon WITH the flash. Bare in mind the camera body, not the lens, cost more than the entire DT does.
And it's a cheap one.

I have another pro-sumer shooter I can test later if I can find it, and an iphone 4S but a quick check
the other night it blurred just as much as the DT did.

This is hardly the be-all end-all of motion tests but it's handy and repeatable at night with the same two
artificial lights on, and clearly enough cam and flash will stop time.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Like so..
This is hardly the be-all end-all of motion tests but it's handy and repeatable at night with the same two
artificial lights on, and clearly enough cam and flash will stop time.

Love your idea, so I went with it.

Natural lighting. Overcast day. I am laying on my bed, camera is about 4 feet from fan. In all instances top photo is no flash, bottom photo is flash on. Photos were resized to 1200 px width and saved for web to reduce file size using Adobe Photo Elements.

First shots are with my old Maxx HD. Doesn't seem to be any difference in stop-motion with or without flash. The dreaded blue tint rears its (inconsistent) head in the flash on shot.

Ceiling-Fan-Maxx-HD-no-flas.jpg

Ceiling-Fan-Maxx-HD-flash-o.jpg

Next up is Droid Turbo. Again, not much difference in stop-motion with or without flash. Actually the shot without flash looks brighter than the one with flash. Turbo took a long time trying to focus. After tapping the screen to snap the shot the focus circle was busy for perhaps 2 seconds. Definite shutter lag. I kept the camera as still as possible. Unacceptable shutter lag, IMO. But it almost froze the ceiling fan.

Ceiling-fan-Turbo-no-flash.jpg

Ceiling-fan-Turbo-flash-on.jpg

Next up is my 9 year old point-and-shoot Canon Powershot A520. I believe this is a 4M camera.

Ceiling-fan-Canon-no-flash.jpg

Ceiling-fan-Canon-flash-on.jpg

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

Looks to me like if anything the DT does a better job than the RMHD that I keep hearing did so much better at motion shots.
I've never owned one so I have no personal experience. The grass is always greener...
I noticed the focus lag too, on the blades was slow or not at all, I focused on the center light bells.
Interesting that the old A520 is worse off with no flash, and much better with what I assume is a way stronger flash than the phone cams.

If anyone can figure out how to use a better flash with the phone cam that'd be an interesting experiment.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Looks to me like if anything the DT does a better job than the RMHD that I keep hearing did so much better at motion shots. I've never owned one so I have no personal experience. The grass is always greener...

Yes, the Turbo's camera is miles better than the Razr Maxx HD. Some here have said they got better results with the Droid Maxx over the Turbo.

I noticed the focus lag too, on the blades was slow or not at all, I focused on the center light bells.
Interesting that the old A520 is worse off with no flash, and much better with what I assume is a way stronger flash than the phone cams.

I also focused on the center hub of the fan. The focusing lag was weird--like the camera was thinking about what it wanted to do. Even when I went off center and focused on the tips of the fan blades it was still....thinking. I should probably try the experiment with the drag-to-focus feature off.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Just to clarify my take. .my results, which I said were better, were with the MAXX, not the RMHD.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I thought a Maxx was a Razor Maxx HD? lol who names these things?

At any rate I'd love to see some more com-par-o of moving fans with other devices.
I'd like to see if really good lighting would improve the results from the DT as well, my
house is so dark with the wood interior it pretty well absorbs light.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I'd like to see if really good lighting would improve the results from the DT as well, my
house is so dark with the wood interior it pretty well absorbs light.

Next sunny day I'll give it another go with my ceiling fan. The room faces south so gets lots of light.