Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Photo's Auto focus blurry. Why?

On the dog pics, I'd bet the white carpet helps with overall light level a lot.

Agreed.

Re: horse pics, I've been able to take photo's of cars passing on the road, both of us going 45mph or so, and it'll freeze even the wheels.
No explanation, just observation. Distance seems to help some.

And lighting.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if any of you are into flashlights as hobbies, but I have a surefire 6p with a nice cree led dropin that used to do weapon light duty that I might swap out for a flood/fill head and see if that will function as a sudo-flash and see what happens. They are quite bright but I'm not sure if they are good camera flash-bright or not. Shame you can't trigger an external flash with the DT somehow for testing.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

On the dog pics, I'd bet the white carpet helps with overall light level a lot. My place, and yard, is all dark earth tones that absorb light.
Looks good though.

Re: horse pics, I've been able to take photo's of cars passing on the road, both of us going 45mph or so, and it'll freeze even the wheels.
No explanation, just observation. Distance seems to help some.
Yep, depth of field is less critical as distance increases. The closer the shot, the harder it is to capture sharp moving images.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I really wish one of the serious digital camera review sites could play with one of these, I suspect they could say given some experience pretty quickly whether it's software, hardware, or lens. I know a bit but not enough.

I've also yet to see in person a phone camera that does any better. I'm open to the idea but I'm yet to see it.
Grass always being greener is a consistent human trait.

lowcountrydigger

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

This was taken on the 21mp setting while the chickens were moving, I have no problem with blurry pics...yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8915.jpg
    8915.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

This was taken on the 21mp setting while the chickens were moving, I have no problem with with blurry pics...yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

That's a decent amount of light, so it won't be blurry. When light gets a bit scant is when there is a potential problem.

JeffMerr

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Coming from an S3, the camera is absolutely terrible. No scene modes or options at all and I'm finding myself taking 5+ pictures of something to make sure I get at least one that isn't blurry. If it isn't fixed in the lollipop update I think I'm going to an S5.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

You know, I thought that too about my S4, and I don't completely un-think it.
However I did have the opportunity to hold them side by side and take a bunch of photo's at the
same instant and, with the S4 on auto at least, I'd say the DT did about 90% as well.
Like you said this isn't testing the Samsung shooting modes, but I was a little less bummed
after.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Lmao. If this pic was taken with the Turbo then everybody complaining needs to shut up.

So one example of a good picture should shut everyone up, huh? Do you work for Moto? Dear Christ, why not read the 2000 other complaints instead of using an example of ONE picture as the basis for judgment. Besides the light, I also notice distance is a factor. When I'm playing around with the camera at hockey games, I can usually get clearer shots at things in motion, not far away...much like the horses in that picture.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

A fellow on another forum suggested, and I think rightly, that when light is low, a camera can either extend the shutter time or alter the ISO to expose the image. These are film terms of course but still. Extending the shutter time gives a better quality image but induces blur with movement, using the ISO change avoids that but introduces garbage into the image. I believe on a firmware level the manufacturer has to decide how that curve is setup, at x light use x iso and y shutter speed, and there is some room for variation in there. On a big camera one can adjust it, and with better hardware there is more room as well. I think they choose image quality over ability to have a fast shutter at low light levels, if that makes sense...

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

A fellow on another forum suggested, and I think rightly, that when light is low, a camera can either extend the shutter time or alter the ISO to expose the image. These are film terms of course but still. Extending the shutter time gives a better quality image but induces blur with movement, using the ISO change avoids that but introduces garbage into the image. I believe on a firmware level the manufacturer has to decide how that curve is setup, at x light use x iso and y shutter speed, and there is some room for variation in there. On a big camera one can adjust it, and with better hardware there is more room as well. I think they choose image quality over ability to have a fast shutter at low light levels, if that makes sense...

You know alot about cameras wolf. I think Moto should let you tune their camera software as you put their entire team to shame.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

I thank you but I don't think I'd go that far. I'm just an obsessive geek with a shutterbug for a wife. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy