Was wondering if anyone else's DT's battery drains when using the nova launcher? I installed it yesterday and set it up to my needs, which is awesome i believe . Only downfall i noticed is my battery went down the toilet. I have a pretty basic setup, no crazy widgets or screen animations. Just mainly apps and finger gesture shortcuts. It's one of those times where you just know that your phone doesn't perform correctly anymore and it bugs you. Anyone else have this issue? Most likely going back to stock..

Vrrroooom pssshhh! *Droid Turbo posting sound*
    12-02-2014 11:23 PM
    Was wondering if anyone else's DT's battery drains when using the nova launcher? I installed it yesterday and set it up to my needs, which is awesome i believe . Only downfall i noticed is my battery went down the toilet. I have a pretty basic setup, no crazy widgets or screen animations. Just mainly apps and finger gesture shortcuts. It's one of those times where you just know that your phone doesn't perform correctly anymore and it bugs you. Anyone else have this issue? Most likely going back to stock..

I actually haven't tried the stock launcher for long enough to make a comparison. I've been getting a day and a half to two days of use from a single charge while using nova. Maybe somebody who has used both the stock launcher for longer can weigh in on this.
    12-03-2014 12:07 AM
    Same story as Masheen. I've used Nova (Prime) since getting the phone. I used the stock launcher for as long as it took to install and activate Nova. I haven't noticed any drain I can associate with the launcher though. Also like Masheen, I go though a work day easily. With care I could pretty easily get though two days. Shut down data and I could probably go 3 or 4 days. Provided I'm not gaming or something that hits the battery hard!

I don't run a bunch of widgets, just the Command Center and Verizion. I do have a bunch of stuff disabled that I don't use.
    Masheen likes this.
    12-03-2014 09:35 AM
    Have used Nova Prime since I first set up my Turbo, so I have no reference point for comparison. I get 36 hours of hard use and 48+ hours of light use with Nova, so no complaints from me. So long as I can get 24 hours even on the heaviest of use days, I am happy.
    12-03-2014 11:26 AM
    Hmm interesting, i have done the same as you all by disabling unnecessary apps, changing all settings to conserve battery, etc. My normal usage is light to moderate and only apps like facebook, email, pandora (while commuting to work), and also i do use an app killer. I guess i will go back to stock to see if there is a difference. Thanks for the replies.

12-03-2014 03:21 PM
    I'm using the free Nova Launcher app, and have not experienced any difference or increase in battery drain. I've disabled some of the bloatware apps, and I don't use any social networking whatsoever; and just use my DT for phone, emails, texts, internet...and occasional wifi hotspot. At the end of the day, my battery is still at 75-78% or better.
    12-03-2014 04:24 PM
    Hmm interesting, i have done the same as you all by disabling unnecessary apps, changing all settings to conserve battery, etc. My normal usage is light to moderate and only apps like facebook, email, pandora (while commuting to work), and also i do use an app killer. I guess i will go back to stock to see if there is a difference. Thanks for the replies.

Could you post some screenshots of the battery stats and the graph, please. Perhaps there is something in there that can point out what may be wrong, like a wakelock, or weak cell signal.

From an AOSP M8
    12-03-2014 04:36 PM
    Same here. I use Nova and am a pretty heavy user and have no battery problems. With phone off charger from 7am to 11pm I almost never drop below 50%. I have turned off all bloatware and only have the widgets. I have my screen on auto brightness.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-03-2014 04:38 PM
    Haven't played with Nova Launcher on this phone but my stock OS is draining battery and charging exponentially fast in each direction!
    12-03-2014 05:11 PM

I'd wager that your drain is coming from Facebook, which you may have installed close to the same time as Nova Launcher. Facebook is a killer, and it won't show up o usage statistics, both in GSam or Stock battery watcher. I have only seen it show up in Process Stats in the unlockable Developer Options menu.

I talk about this here. Post #695: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4080832

This may or may not be your issue, but based on the number of people in this thread alone who responded that they have been having great battery life with Nova Launcher, I'm more suspecting that it is coming from elsewhere.

I recently went through every option on the Facebook mobile app (there are tons of hidden options, make sure you click every menu) and went through every option. I took off app requests,I decreased the amount of times that my phone would notify me about certain things. (Ie: Wall post, friend request, friend acceptance, comment posts) I took off Facebook's own location (this one was big). Also note that if you have Facebook Messenger installed, location is on by default, so take that off if you want better battery life.

Ultimately, the reason I had bought the Droid Maxx and now the Droid Turbo was to not care about what syncs and settings I had turned on. If I wanted, I could keep everything checked on Facebook, location checked on every app, weather updates every half hour, screen at max brightness, and probably still make it an entire day with 3 hour screen time. I have taken the middle ground and have location services set to high accuracy, and Google Location Services turned on as well as location reporting and history. I rarely use Facebook, but when I do, I want it to be on my phone. Social media doesn't work well you don't respond quickly. So I disabled a bunch of stuff, and mitigated the drain significantly.
    12-03-2014 05:47 PM
    Alright so i did go into the facebook app settings and pretty much disabled everything that makes life more simple haha. Also here are some screen shots of my battery goodness.

Attached Thumbnails Nova Launcher Battery drain?-6643.jpg   Nova Launcher Battery drain?-6642.jpg   Nova Launcher Battery drain?-6641.jpg  
    12-03-2014 08:04 PM
    Also the process stats

Attached Thumbnails Nova Launcher Battery drain?-6644.jpg  
    12-03-2014 08:14 PM
    You might look at Messenger as well. Messenger is a destroyer. Chat heads and notifications especially. My wife uses it and gets by on he Maxx but when I tried it my battery life was dismal.
    12-04-2014 09:09 AM
    So it seemed it was facebook that was the culprit behind my battery issues. Such a rookie fix that i have overlooked. I definitely see the increase in battery life now that I have disabled most of its unneeded notifications and background process related ware. Thanks to all.

delrey1900 likes this.
    12-04-2014 02:57 PM
    So it seemed it was facebook that was the culprit behind my battery issues. Such a rookie fix that i have overlooked. I definitely see the increase in battery life now that I have disabled most of its unneeded notifications and background process related ware. Thanks to all.

Your welcome. Glad it helped. Also, try disabling some bloatware/apps that you don't use. I see motorola flipcase in pro stats. That service is only applicable if u purchased their "flip case" product.
    12-04-2014 04:02 PM
    Yes all my bloatware is disabled and yes i do have a flipcase. Got the ballistic nylon flip case on my ballistic nylon turbo a little snug but about 1 week or so breaking it in, it fits quite well now. I'm currently at 75% battery as of now since it came of the charger this morning around 6am, time is 2:12pm right now. Usually it'll be around 40% or lower by now. Woohoo!

12-04-2014 06:12 PM
    Yes all my bloatware is disabled and yes i do have a flipcase. Got the ballistic nylon flip case on my ballistic nylon turbo a little snug but about 1 week or so breaking it in, it fits quite well now. I'm currently at 75% battery as of now since it came of the charger this morning around 6am, time is 2:12pm right now. Usually it'll be around 40% or lower by now. Woohoo!

Nice! 👍
    12-04-2014 09:05 PM