05-20-2015 08:15 PM
73 123
tools
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but with the update to Hangouts and the Hangouts Dialer, it's pure VOIP now.
    Yes, I think that you are right. It was the pre-Hangouts version that was just using mobile minutes.
    01-06-2015 07:46 PM
    So with the Hangouts dialer installed, if I want to make a call NOT using VOIP, I can still use the regular phone dialer app?
    01-15-2015 11:21 PM
    It's great if you don't experience those but that doesn't diminish that FACT Verizon has admitted to the problems and has yet to provide a solution.
    05-19-2015 02:57 PM
    It's great if you don't experience those but that doesn't diminish that FACT Verizon has admitted to the problems and has yet to provide a solution.
    Link?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    05-19-2015 03:00 PM
    No, it doesn't. But giving information such as router used and if its Wireless N/AC helps others when they come across the issue. If you could provide this information I'm sure we would all appreciate it.
    05-19-2015 03:04 PM
    When I have been online chats with both Motorola technical support and verizon level 2&3 support both have admitted to problems. I'm sure if you went through the same process they would give you the same information.... Not every thing is linkable , but that doesn't mean it isn't so.
    05-19-2015 03:06 PM
    Besides just because you don't have the issue doesn't mean it isn't real.
    05-19-2015 03:08 PM
    I take everyone at their word as to their individual issues with their phones. As someone already suggested, though, "real" and "widespread" are not the same thing. That doesn't help you or anyone who has a particular issue, but it does help to put it in to some sort of perspective when gauging a company's' priorities to address it.

That's the case with any issue. Even those you don't personally have and others do.
    05-19-2015 03:13 PM
    Correct, the issue could still exist. Although, what's the issue? Is it a faulty handset or an issue with specific routers? This isn't a widespread issue but obviously some people are experiencing it.

Motorola and Verizon admitting there's an issue isn't necessarily proving a thing to how wide spread or severe it is. Those with the issue may unfortunately be dealing with this for the life of the device if its not some simple compatibility issue. I'm going to ask this just for the sake of it - is your router(s) upgraded to the latest firmware? Probably a dumb question but sometimes that's an issue.
    05-19-2015 03:23 PM
    Bet the average Joe would care if he knew about the AC 1.0 failures and poor WiFi reception
    I have never had either of those issues. I just did some extensive travel over the last few days around the country and never dropped one call. Overall I've never dropped a call with AC and my Wi-Fi is fine. However, I do know if you have a device with those issues it is major to you. I had similar problems when I had the Droid Charge and many others said theirs was fine. Kind of reminds me of the old saying about the economy.."It is a recession when your neighbor loses their job and a depression when you lose yours."
    05-19-2015 03:31 PM
    I can drop calls (with AC 1.0 on) sitting outdoors stationary. My zip code is 14624 (so you can verify that Verizon coverage maps say full LTE, not extended, coverage.) My router is a 802.11ac with updated and has no problems connecting to an iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC one m8 and numerous laptops (not all at the same time). My LTE signal strength in my front yard is sometimes -100dBm sometimes -120dBm but my wife, daughter and son-in-law get better LTE reception. My WiFi signal strength shows as excellent one minute then gets unusable the next.
    05-19-2015 04:05 PM
    Verizon has admitted to issues rolling out a new technology, and? This happens every time they switch to a new standard. Have you forgotten how crappy LTE was during the first year of rollout? They can make contingency plans all they want, but until you start the process, you can't be 100% certain that their won't be issues. I've been with Verizon through 4 major technology changes, analog to digital, the addition of 3G, the addition of LTE, and now the addition of VoLTE aka Advance Calling. None of them went off without a hitch, that's the nature of making a big change. The same issues crop up when an office switches operating systems, or upgrade to newer versions of the same OS. I used to install electronics for a living, doing intercom and sound, nurse call light systems, synchronous clock systems, CCTV, controlling lighting and doors in correctional facilities. Whenever we had to do a big switchover, we could plan for weeks even months, but when the time came to cutover, you put your head down and dive in until a problem presents itself. When we wouldn't actually have any issues, we counted ourselves lucky. But that's the nature of it. And we weren't on a scale anywhere near what these guys are doing. So while I would love them to get everything right on the first shot, experience has taught me otherwise.

A buddy of mine is actually one of the guys who was setting this up, and he said it was an ongoing deal having issues crop up. And they've been working on this for a couple years at least, so it doesn't just come together overnight.
    05-19-2015 04:55 PM
    Yet they remain mute and stonewall about any coming solutions. We are supposed to just trust that they're not biding time till their next latest greatest fiasco.
    05-19-2015 05:23 PM
    vzwuser76...verizon weenie words their way around a lot of shortcomings in their touted coverage area. I see it as false advertising aimed at money in their pockets. If they weren't enabled, yes I meant to use that word, their and other carrier's coverage maps would have a lot more holes. Someday maybe the FCC will hold their feet to the fire and crack down on the false claims with substantial fines.
    I don't think it's as easy and cheap to pushout new coverage maps as you think it is. I would imagine they have vehicles with signal equipment inside to measure the signal, and they drive an area until they lose signal. Considering the area they cover, that's quite a lot of driving. And by the time they finish their run, it'd probably be time for another. And having that many people out to measure signal constantly just to keep their map constantly updated, when most people probably don't even look at it for more than a minute or two, its not worth it for these companies. Besides that if their operating costs increased, where do you think the will come from? I get that this doesn't help you, but in areas where you're not getting signal that they show there is, they will let you out of your contract without any fees. Beyond that your only option for your home is to put in a network extender, but then you're limited to 3G.

But like others have said, it's not like Verizon is the only carrier who's maps aren't 100% accurate. And even if they were,you've got things like new buildings going up, atmospheric conditions, any number of things that can affect signal transmission. Just going to a different kind of siding on your house can attenuate it, or any structure between you and the tower. Hell it could even be an issue with another signal interfering with Verizon's. I would have them start a trouble ticket and see if they can find a reason for your signal issues. It may very well be an issue with your phone, I can't recall if you said you've tried swapping it out or not.

Personally the only issue I've had with AC is that it doesn't play well with my network extender. But when I've used it under an LTE signal, I've had no issues.
    05-19-2015 05:40 PM
    When I have been online chats with both Motorola technical support and verizon level 2&3 support both have admitted to problems. I'm sure if you went through the same process they would give you the same information.... Not every thing is linkable , but that doesn't mean it isn't so.
    Motorola support and Verizon level 2 and 3 support have also said the Turbo was going to get Lollipop last December. And January. And February. And March. And April. And May. And of course "soon." Most people here know better than to listen to anything they say because 99.3% of it is them lying or just not knowing what they're talking about. So unless you have something official from Verizon corporate, they haven't admitted anything.
    05-19-2015 05:42 PM
    Yet they remain mute and stonewall about any coming solutions. We are supposed to just trust that they're not biding time till their next latest greatest fiasco.
    Just like with the Turbo, would you rather they keep coming back and say still working on it, we'll let you know when we have something? If they didn't push forward with new tech, we'd still be on analog cell phones. And if you think these smartphones are heavy, try using one of those. Every time they make a change to a new tech, there are going to be issues, what you call a fiasco. Should they stop and just remain stagnant? I'll say it again for the cheap seats, there is not such thing as a flawless cutover, and there never will be, especially in something as complex and large as this. If it did ever happen, buy a lottery ticket.
    05-19-2015 05:45 PM
    They should at least have addressed the AC calling drops and stop the ostrich imitations. If it isn't going to be fixed, give the users a different device capable of not dropping calls. Technology does advance but deliberately choosing a single antenna setup was conscious decision on verizon part. Without a fallback capability and putting all their eggs in one basket without rock solid network capabilities leaves many purchasers with a device that isn't a flagship but a flop.
    05-19-2015 06:18 PM
    They should at least have addressed the AC calling drops and stop the ostrich imitations. If it isn't going to be fixed, give the users a different device capable of not dropping calls.
    The Turbo won't drop calls if you turn off VoLTE. You have family member with older iPhones; obviously they are able to get by without simultaneous voice and data.

Why not call Verizon and see if they will do something for you rather than complaining about it so much in this thread?
    05-19-2015 07:44 PM
    If my wanting the Turbo to function properly like a true flagship device bothers you don't read it. Not everyone believes a device without simultaneous voice & data in 2015 is a step in the right direction. If you're fine with that OK. For me I want them to provide AC which has functioning voice & data as promised. I plan on complaining about the shortcomings until they are addressed.
    05-19-2015 09:39 PM
    If my wanting the Turbo to function properly like a true flagship device bothers you don't read it. Not everyone believes a device without simultaneous voice & data in 2015 is a step in the right direction. If you're fine with that OK. For me I want them to provide AC which has functioning voice & data as promised. I plan on complaining about the shortcomings until they are addressed.
    They've had two options since they planned on making the switch to VoLTE, 2 antennas and crap battery life, or 1 antenna and the people living in sketchy areas have issues from time to time. The first option would affect anyone with a VoLTE capable device, the second a fraction of them that live in those areas. If they had gone the first route, everyone would be complaining about these issues. But they decided on the second, it's simple numbers. There will be issues for people in those areas while they build out their LTE network to cover the same footprint as their 3G network did, but once it's done it should be the same as it was pre VoLTE. When Verizon said they finished rolling out LTE, that wasn't the end, it simply meant that they had converted their existing infrastructure over to LTE. Now they are adding more towers so the LTE network covers the same area as the previous one did. But this doesn't happen overnight. And complaining about it won't make it go any faster, you'll just be giving the CSR a headache. I'm sure they know their issues more than you or I, but it takes time to implement.

As I see it you have a few options. You can tell them what's happening and they will more than likely let you out of your contract, you can see if they will switch you to a different device, or you can turn off AC when in those areas and where possible use WiFi for simultaneous v&d until the situation is resolved.

I use WiFi probably 95% of the time, and I've never had an issue with it. I would assume that either they got a bad batch of WiFi chips in some models, or it has to do with either specific routers or specific settings in the router. I'm using a Cisco E2000 and haven't had any issues with mine. I don't know my settings off the top of my head, those were set by the instructions of my ISP. For all we know, some people could have other appliances that are causing interference. Believe me when I say, determining the cause of an issue with wireless systems can be a nightmare. I dealt with them a lot when I worked as an electronics tech, and I hope I don't have to in the future. They can make you pull your hair out.
    05-19-2015 10:04 PM
    AC works perfectly for most people. You must be doing something wrong.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    05-19-2015 10:07 PM
    I can drop calls (with AC 1.0 on) sitting outdoors stationary. My zip code is 14624 (so you can verify that Verizon coverage maps say full LTE, not extended, coverage.) My router is a 802.11ac with updated and has no problems connecting to an iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC one m8 and numerous laptops (not all at the same time). My LTE signal strength in my front yard is sometimes -100dBm sometimes -120dBm but my wife, daughter and son-in-law get better LTE reception. My WiFi signal strength shows as excellent one minute then gets unusable the next.
    Hmmmm... Your zip says Rochester, NY. Punching that into http://m.cellreception.com/towers reveals 3 Verizon towers on the outskirts of the city, none in the middle. Seems maybe that is more your issue than the phone is.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    05-19-2015 10:33 PM
    AC works perfectly for most people. You must be doing something wrong.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    Really, you know most people...I Dont believe you. But I do know I also have these issues...Must not be "most people". It seems that there are a lot of people with good service, and a lot of people with issues. I Dont have the customer survey tdizz has, but I read a lot. This is not to call complain, just clearly state it is an issue for a good amount of turbo owners.
    Posted via the Android Central App
    05-19-2015 10:46 PM
    tdizzel & vzwuser76 both are lucky enough to have perfectly functioning Turbos or they are also doing ostrich imitations as to the real operation.
    JJJones.... If that is the problem (and I believe it is) why shouldn't I call out verizon on their own overstated coverage? Their maps clearly show FULL LTE COVERAGE for all of zip 14624. If they want to claim it I can complain about it. Being in the first areas of the country to get LTE going live their actual coverage is centered around the local college's and very hit/miss elsewhere. Actual claimed coverage which isn't there should be called out and I've been complaining about the maps being inaccurate through my thunderbolt, bionic, RAZR Maxx HD and now Turbo. Marketing falsely shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, weenie words or not.
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-20-2015 07:45 AM
    tdizzel & vzwuser76 both are lucky enough to have perfectly functioning Turbos or they are also doing ostrich imitations as to the real operation.
    JJJones.... If that is the problem (and I believe it is) why shouldn't I call out verizon on their own overstated coverage? Their maps clearly show FULL LTE COVERAGE for all of zip 14624. If they want to claim it I can complain about it. Being in the first areas of the country to get LTE going live their actual coverage is centered around the local college's and very hit/miss elsewhere. Actual claimed coverage which isn't there should be called out and I've been complaining about the maps being inaccurate through my thunderbolt, bionic, RAZR Maxx HD and now Turbo. Marketing falsely shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, weenie words or not.
    I'd agree that if their coverage maps are false, they should be called out. However, it's more fitting to call them out in the Verizon sub forum, as it's not an issue you can blame on just the Turbo or the lack of Lollipop.
    Personally, if it were me, I'd have already switched to another carrier if I'd been having your issues since 2011 (when the Thunderbolt was released). Easiest way to solve the problem is to take your monies elsewhere.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    mrtonk likes this.
    05-20-2015 08:36 AM
73 123