Are my reservations valid?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Yet they remain mute and stonewall about any coming solutions. We are supposed to just trust that they're not biding time till their next latest greatest fiasco.

Just like with the Turbo, would you rather they keep coming back and say still working on it, we'll let you know when we have something? If they didn't push forward with new tech, we'd still be on analog cell phones. And if you think these smartphones are heavy, try using one of those. Every time they make a change to a new tech, there are going to be issues, what you call a fiasco. Should they stop and just remain stagnant? I'll say it again for the cheap seats, there is not such thing as a flawless cutover, and there never will be, especially in something as complex and large as this. If it did ever happen, buy a lottery ticket.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

They should at least have addressed the AC calling drops and stop the ostrich imitations. If it isn't going to be fixed, give the users a different device capable of not dropping calls. Technology does advance but deliberately choosing a single antenna setup was conscious decision on verizon part. Without a fallback capability and putting all their eggs in one basket without rock solid network capabilities leaves many purchasers with a device that isn't a flagship but a flop.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

They should at least have addressed the AC calling drops and stop the ostrich imitations. If it isn't going to be fixed, give the users a different device capable of not dropping calls.

The Turbo won't drop calls if you turn off VoLTE. You have family member with older iPhones; obviously they are able to get by without simultaneous voice and data.

Why not call Verizon and see if they will do something for you rather than complaining about it so much in this thread?

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

If my wanting the Turbo to function properly like a true flagship device bothers you don't read it. Not everyone believes a device without simultaneous voice & data in 2015 is a step in the right direction. If you're fine with that OK. For me I want them to provide AC which has functioning voice & data as promised. I plan on complaining about the shortcomings until they are addressed.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If my wanting the Turbo to function properly like a true flagship device bothers you don't read it. Not everyone believes a device without simultaneous voice & data in 2015 is a step in the right direction. If you're fine with that OK. For me I want them to provide AC which has functioning voice & data as promised. I plan on complaining about the shortcomings until they are addressed.

They've had two options since they planned on making the switch to VoLTE, 2 antennas and crap battery life, or 1 antenna and the people living in sketchy areas have issues from time to time. The first option would affect anyone with a VoLTE capable device, the second a fraction of them that live in those areas. If they had gone the first route, everyone would be complaining about these issues. But they decided on the second, it's simple numbers. There will be issues for people in those areas while they build out their LTE network to cover the same footprint as their 3G network did, but once it's done it should be the same as it was pre VoLTE. When Verizon said they finished rolling out LTE, that wasn't the end, it simply meant that they had converted their existing infrastructure over to LTE. Now they are adding more towers so the LTE network covers the same area as the previous one did. But this doesn't happen overnight. And complaining about it won't make it go any faster, you'll just be giving the CSR a headache. I'm sure they know their issues more than you or I, but it takes time to implement.

As I see it you have a few options. You can tell them what's happening and they will more than likely let you out of your contract, you can see if they will switch you to a different device, or you can turn off AC when in those areas and where possible use WiFi for simultaneous v&d until the situation is resolved.

I use WiFi probably 95% of the time, and I've never had an issue with it. I would assume that either they got a bad batch of WiFi chips in some models, or it has to do with either specific routers or specific settings in the router. I'm using a Cisco E2000 and haven't had any issues with mine. I don't know my settings off the top of my head, those were set by the instructions of my ISP. For all we know, some people could have other appliances that are causing interference. Believe me when I say, determining the cause of an issue with wireless systems can be a nightmare. I dealt with them a lot when I worked as an electronics tech, and I hope I don't have to in the future. They can make you pull your hair out.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

AC works perfectly for most people. You must be doing something wrong.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I can drop calls (with AC 1.0 on) sitting outdoors stationary. My zip code is 14624 (so you can verify that Verizon coverage maps say full LTE, not extended, coverage.) My router is a 802.11ac with updated and has no problems connecting to an iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC one m8 and numerous laptops (not all at the same time). My LTE signal strength in my front yard is sometimes -100dBm sometimes -120dBm but my wife, daughter and son-in-law get better LTE reception. My WiFi signal strength shows as excellent one minute then gets unusable the next.

Hmmmm... Your zip says Rochester, NY. Punching that into http://m.cellreception.com/towers reveals 3 Verizon towers on the outskirts of the city, none in the middle. Seems maybe that is more your issue than the phone is.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
AC works perfectly for most people. You must be doing something wrong.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Really, you know most people...I Dont believe you. But I do know I also have these issues...Must not be "most people". It seems that there are a lot of people with good service, and a lot of people with issues. I Dont have the customer survey tdizz has, but I read a lot. This is not to call complain, just clearly state it is an issue for a good amount of turbo owners.
Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

tdizzel & vzwuser76 both are lucky enough to have perfectly functioning Turbos or they are also doing ostrich imitations as to the real operation.
JJJones.... If that is the problem (and I believe it is) why shouldn't I call out verizon on their own overstated coverage? Their maps clearly show FULL LTE COVERAGE for all of zip 14624. If they want to claim it I can complain about it. Being in the first areas of the country to get LTE going live their actual coverage is centered around the local college's and very hit/miss elsewhere. Actual claimed coverage which isn't there should be called out and I've been complaining about the maps being inaccurate through my thunderbolt, bionic, RAZR Maxx HD and now Turbo. Marketing falsely shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, weenie words or not.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

tdizzel & vzwuser76 both are lucky enough to have perfectly functioning Turbos or they are also doing ostrich imitations as to the real operation.
JJJones.... If that is the problem (and I believe it is) why shouldn't I call out verizon on their own overstated coverage? Their maps clearly show FULL LTE COVERAGE for all of zip 14624. If they want to claim it I can complain about it. Being in the first areas of the country to get LTE going live their actual coverage is centered around the local college's and very hit/miss elsewhere. Actual claimed coverage which isn't there should be called out and I've been complaining about the maps being inaccurate through my thunderbolt, bionic, RAZR Maxx HD and now Turbo. Marketing falsely shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, weenie words or not.

I'd agree that if their coverage maps are false, they should be called out. However, it's more fitting to call them out in the Verizon sub forum, as it's not an issue you can blame on just the Turbo or the lack of Lollipop.
Personally, if it were me, I'd have already switched to another carrier if I'd been having your issues since 2011 (when the Thunderbolt was released). Easiest way to solve the problem is to take your monies elsewhere.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

No I've had my share of issues, which is why I'm running Network Extenders even though I'm shown inside their 3G coverage. See, here in zip code 57467, we don't have colleges and we were actually probably one of the last to see any LTE. And I'm not even using AC because I can't or suffer overage charges. I have AC disabled and use WiFi for my data.

All I was saying is that these things don't get fixed overnight. I'm sorry if I'm patient, and don't complain to anyone who'll listen that I can't use a feature that truthfully isn't a necessity. I grew up with 2 parents who were born just before the depression, and so I guess I have a slightly different take on what a necessity is.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing I'm going to say will change your mind on it, so this is where I leave you. As I said in the previous post you have options. Switch carriers or see if Verizon will swap devices to one that doesn't have this issue. But complaining to us does nothing. There is nothing we can do about it. So complain directly to Verizon or on their forums if you actually want to accomplish something, but doing it here will not.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

All I was saying is that these things don't get fixed overnight.... So complain directly to Verizon or on their forums if you actually want to accomplish something, but doing it here will not.

Overnight?.... (Must be using the same definition as "Soon").

I do complain directly, on Twitter & on their forums. AND isn't this a Droid Turbo forum? And doesn't that involve Verizon?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It's a forum on android central that verizon doesn't read, so you're basically just shouting in a soundproof room when you post here. Nobody who reads this forum can do anything for you, except you. You can call verizon, ask for a new device, turn off volte, threaten to switch to another carrier, etc. But, you've been told this before, several times, so I hope you just do one of those things, or maybe start your own thread about volte and wifi problems, rather than keep shouting at a brick wall by posting your issues in this thread, over and over again.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

You heard it. Other prospective buyers may also see it and factor it in any consideration before buying.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

All I was saying is that these things don't get fixed overnight.... So complain directly to Verizon or on their forums if you actually want to accomplish something, but doing it here will not.

Overnight?.... (Must be using the same definition as "Soon").

I do complain directly, on Twitter & on their forums. AND isn't this a Droid Turbo forum? And doesn't that involve Verizon?

It's a figure of speech, like give me a second. Is the person asking for one second, or a little more time.

Yes this is about the Turbo and Verizon, and so are a multitude of other things. Should we talk about all things Turbo and Verizon related in here? A separate thread, citing those specific issues would be better served to discuss that and only that. Even if what you're doing is to warn people, which is going to warn them quicker, a dedicated thread, or a few posts buried in a thread now 29 pages long?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Actually he does. That's what the Moderator tag means. They're here to try and keep the discussion on point. Your issues may have nothing to do with the Turbo itself or the Lollipop update.

I've also asked several times whether those complaining about WiFi issues were using a Wireless N or Wireless AC router but I've yet to get a response. Being that I'm on an Asus AC router and have no issues what so ever and certain hardware conflicts with others we may be able to single out an issue. For example, if two people are having issues with the same router we can figure its a conflict there and not a defective device.

Unfortunately, people would rather complain and not give valuable information into figuring out the problem. My Turbo works perfect on WiFi and with Advanced Calling enabled during HD Calls and normal calls. The Turbo is fine, it works. Now lets figure out why those with issues are having them.

Don't come complaining about something if all you do is complain. Its counter productive and annoying. This is the reason Ry, a moderator, has come in here. Because Rob, and others, are out of control with complaining but they're not really looking to narrow down the issue. If I did that my internet would never get fixed because I've done everything and now we're looking further out at lines. But hey, keep complaining and not being proactive. You'll have a "broken" device until you get a new model.

TL-DR - the issue could be your router so figure that out first. Not all routers are created equal. As for Advanced Calling, it works fine. Any issues you have are unfortunately Verizon issues and not TURBO issues more than likely.

Edit - I apologize to Rob and anyone else who did respond to my questions and I just missed their response. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Ry does have the right to guide people to the correct threads. I've also asked several times whether those complaining about WiFi issues were using a Wireless N or Wireless AC router but I've yet to get a response.

To be fair, Rob_B answered you: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-lollipop-software-update-39.html#post4436091

My router is a 802.11ac with updated and has no problems connecting to an iPhone 4, iPhone 5, HTC one m8 and numerous laptops (not all at the same time). My LTE signal strength in my front yard is sometimes -100dBm sometimes -120dBm but my wife, daughter and son-in-law get better LTE reception. My WiFi signal strength shows as excellent one minute then gets unusable the next.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I've also asked several times whether those complaining about WiFi issues were using a Wireless N or Wireless AC router but I've yet to get a response. Being that I'm on an Asus AC router and have no issues what so ever and certain hardware conflicts with others we may be able to single out an issue. For example, if two people are having issues with the same router we can figure its a conflict there and not a defective device.

Unfortunately, people would rather complain and not give valuable information into figuring out the problem. My Turbo works perfect on WiFi and with Advanced Calling enabled during HD Calls and normal calls. The Turbo is fine, it works. Now lets figure out why those with issues are having them.

Don't come complaining about something if all you do is complain. Its counter productive and annoying. This is the reason Ry, a moderator, has come in here. Because Rob, and others, are out of control with complaining but they're not really looking to narrow down the issue. If I did that my internet would never get fixed because I've done everything and now we're looking further out at lines. But hey, keep complaining and not being proactive. You'll have a "broken" device until you get a new model.

TL-DR - the issue could be your router so figure that out first. Not all routers are created equal. As for Advanced Calling, it works fine. Any issues you have are unfortunately Verizon issues and not TURBO issues more than likely.

Same issue, use 6 different routers, including the one you have. ????

Last edited by a moderator:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, I didn't see that throughout all of the responses.
Same issue, use 6 different routers, including the one you have. ????

Very strange, is the Asus Router running the latest firmware? Which band are you connected to, 2.4 or 5 GHz? Does it fully disconnect, stay connected and stop loading, etc? Either way, with 6 different failure including one that works fine for me (I connect to this router at my brothers and sisters so 3 separate that are flawless) I would have to figure the issue is your phone itself rather than a router. Or its possible something is interfering and you should try the other band (2.4 or 5). Difficult to tell but a device replacement, if not done already, may be necessary.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Thank you, I didn't see that throughout all of the responses.

Very strange, is the Asus Router running the latest firmware? Which band are you connected to, 2.4 or 5 GHz? Does it fully disconnect, stay connected and stop loading, etc? Either way, with 6 different failure including one that works fine for me (I connect to this router at my brothers and sisters so 3 separate that are flawless) I would have to figure the issue is your phone itself rather than a router. Or its possible something is interfering and you should try the other band (2.4 or 5). Difficult to tell but a device replacement, if not done already, may be necessary.

I believe it's 5, and its more of an issue of proximity. If I'm more that 10-15 feet away (same floor) i get a loss of signal. I would have to agree its my specific phone, but Dont want to have to send it back for an exchange. Thanks for responding, I know it gets old when people get off topic. I'll try a new band and see if that helps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc