Are my reservations valid?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

I believe it's 5, and its more of an issue of proximity. If I'm more that 10-15 feet away (same floor) i get a loss of signal. I would have to agree its my specific phone, but Dont want to have to send it back for an exchange. Thanks for responding, I know it gets old when people get off topic. I'll try a new band and see if that helps.

Posted via the Android Central App

5Ghz offers faster speeds over 2.4 but it has its disadvantages. For example, on 5Ghz I get 125 Mbps download on my Turbo but on 2.4 I get just over 50 Mbps. My laptop gets 115 Mbps on 2.4 but 125 on 5 GHz.

The disadvantage of 5 GHz is that while its a faster band and less prone to interference, it also is not as reliable the further away you go from the router. So this could very well be the issue you're experiencing.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Originally I was using the Motorola sbg6580 cable modem/router but my son-in-law balked at my using a combination unit & donated his netgear r6300 when he "got a deal" on an Asus RT ac87.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Originally I was using the Motorola sbg6580 cable modem/router but my son-in-law balked at my using a combination unit & donated his netgear r6300 when he "got a deal" on an Asus RT ac87.

Are you still using the Motorola Gateway as a modem and plugging the router into it? If so, you need to out the Gateway into Bridge mode so you're not running two conflicting routers.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

No, only using the cable modem for twc cable TV

Okay, you would be surprised how many people run a router through a Gateway without enabling Bridge mode. Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? I covered this a few posts above but I'm just running it by. Some devices may be more sensitive on 5Ghz range and be better off on 2.4.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Okay, you would be surprised how many people run a router through a Gateway without enabling Bridge mode. Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz? I covered this a few posts above but I'm just running it by. Some devices may be more sensitive on 5Ghz range and be better off on 2.4.

Hey my WiFi range and stability improved once I switched it to 2.4Ghz, so thanks again for the suggestion man. Much appreciated 👍

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

2.4 seemed to pick up interference from neighbors cordless so set to 5. Everybody else (the cell phones & laptops) play nicely with it and can connect & do work in the backyard. Turbo is the only one that connects fine then slows way down for no reason. In case you are interested, security is wpa2 psk with Mac address required.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

2.4 seemed to pick up interference from neighbors cordless so set to 5. Everybody else (the cell phones & laptops) play nicely with it and can connect & do work in the backyard. Turbo is the only one that connects fine then slows way down for no reason. In case you are interested, security is wpa2 psk with Mac address required.

Are you in an apartment? The signal would hold but I know the speeds would be extremely slow on 2.4 in a crowded apartment due to all of the electronics running on the band. You say you got a backyard so I doubt it but just checking. The Turbo may be acting up for some unknown reason but I've noticed this trend on Samsung devices also. Its hard to win.
Hey my WiFi range and stability improved once I switched it to 2.4Ghz, so thanks again for the suggestion man. Much appreciated 👍

Keep me posted on how it works throughout the week. :)

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

It's a single family home on 0.5 acres. Neighbor still has a landline and uses an older cordless phone. My yard has 8 mature trees but lots of clear skies. Most times my Turbo gets -119dBm 4G signal strength around the house so I try to use my WiFi to enable voice & data (turned off AC because of dropping calls). I get all bars of 4G when near Rochester Institute of Technology (local college) but I haven't checked signal strength (I will though). If I got better WiFi reception at my house (at least as good as the iPhone laptops) I could at least surf & get calls from my Adirondack chair.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

It's a single family home on 0.5 acres. Neighbor still has a landline and uses an older cordless phone. My yard has 8 mature trees but lots of clear skies. Most times my Turbo gets -119dBm 4G signal strength around the house so I try to use my WiFi to enable voice & data (turned off AC because of dropping calls). I get all bars of 4G when near Rochester Institute of Technology (local college) but I haven't checked signal strength (I will though). If I got better WiFi reception at my house (at least as good as the iPhone laptops) I could at least surf & get calls from my Adirondack chair.

I have a friend that goes to RIT. Check to see if you have a firmware update to do on the router. It may help.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Son-in-law took care of that. I could have done it myself (35+ years as MSEE) but hey I'm retired now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'd try using 2.4 GHz again, but using channel 11, which tends to interfere less with cordless phones.

If that doesn't help, you can try 5 GHz but set the "wireless mode" to "legacy" to see if 802.11n gives you better connectivity than 802.11ac.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I'd try using 2.4 GHz again, but using channel 11, which tends to interfere less with cordless phones.

If that doesn't help, you can try 5 GHz but set the "wireless mode" to "legacy" to see if 802.11n gives you better connectivity than 802.11ac.

Thank you for offering a suggestion while I was gone. :D

I really would like to solve his issue so we can all be happy... Until Lollipop brings more issues. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781