I currently have a Droid Maxx that I really love - it's been the best smartphone I've ever owned.

I looked at a Droid Turbo the other day at a Verizon store and had to admit it looks like a great phone - especially the screen resolution.

My only reservation is I question whether the Droid Turbo will ever be rooted. Based on Motorola and Verizon's history I'm guessing the answer is no but I thought I'd pose the question here for those who are more knowledgeable than I am.
    12-04-2014 12:12 PM
    Nobody can answer that question because that's like predicting when the next earthquake will happen. It will probably never happen due to many reasons.

Now after saying all that there is a bounty over at XDA for someone to come up with a way to root it and of all the places for a root method to pop up it will probably come from that site.

[BOUNTY] - Unlock our Bootloader / Root the … | Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo | XDA Forums
    12-04-2014 12:50 PM
    Hard to say. Google is making changes to Android to make it even harder to root. As time goes by, more and more potential vulnerabilities will be patched, so it will likely be harder to get useful root (ie, root that allows you to permanently keep root.) That said, has there been a phone yet based on a *nix kernel that hasn't been rooted?
    12-04-2014 01:03 PM
    Does the fact that the turbo is both CDMA and GSM not play a factor in it being able to work on another carriers network?

Sent from my DROID Turbo64
    12-05-2014 02:38 PM
    I honestly believe that this phone will get root. It's an unlocked boot loader that I'm betting against.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-05-2014 05:06 PM
    tvouge,
    Previous Droids were unlock-able through Motorola's website. There's no reason to think that's not possible.
    12-05-2014 05:39 PM
    tvouge,
    Previous Droids were unlock-able through Motorola's website. There's no reason to think that's not possible.
    Without the Chinese middleman?

12-05-2014 06:37 PM
    Without the Chinese middleman?

Not touching that one...
    12-05-2014 06:41 PM
    Has anybody tried this rooting method? Seems too good to be true -- three days old and not lighting up this forum.

I can't post links on this forum yet (need more posts), but to find the method, go to gadgetunlocker.com and look for the article titled "How to root Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo XT1225 with TWRP Recovery," posted December 12, 2014 by Gaurav Verma.It's currently at the bottom of the home page.
    12-15-2014 01:37 PM
    Has anybody tried this rooting method? Seems too good to be true -- three days old and not lighting up this forum.

I can't post links on this forum yet (need more posts), but to find the method, go to gadgetunlocker.com and look for the article titled "How to root Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo XT1225 with TWRP Recovery," posted December 12, 2014 by Gaurav Verma.It's currently at the bottom of the home page.
    I think the title of this article is VERY misleading... the "XT1225" is the "Moto Maxx", or the international version of the Verizon Droid Turbo. I'm pretty sure that is what this procedure is for. As far as I know, there is still no root method available for the Verizon version.

EDIT: Just to add, the reason this doesn't work on the Verizon Droid Turbo, is because the bootloader has to be unlocked first before you can flash the custom recovery.
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-15-2014 04:16 PM
    I currently have a Droid Maxx that I really love - it's been the best smartphone I've ever owned.

I looked at a Droid Turbo the other day at a Verizon store and had to admit it looks like a great phone - especially the screen resolution.

My only reservation is I question whether the Droid Turbo will ever be rooted. Based on Motorola and Verizon's history I'm guessing the answer is no but I thought I'd pose the question here for those who are more knowledgeable than I am.
    First of all, what probably will not happen is an unlocked bootloader. Root may be obtained if someone can find an vulnerability to exploit, but it's impossible to predict if and/or when that will happen. Without the unlocked bootloader, however, that means no custom recovery.

I'll be honest, this is the first Android device I've ever owned that wasn't rooted. In fact, in the past, I've made it a point to only buy devices that were confirmed bootloader unlocked or Nexus...but I pulled the plug on the Turbo anyway. Android has become so much more refined and stable in the past few years, that I don't feel like I *need* to root it anymore, at least not for performance reasons. Yeah, it would be nice to be able to run ad-blocker and Xposed modules, but the latter is most likely dying with Android 5.0 anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'll root this thing in a heartbeat if it becomes possible to do so, but I'm happy with it just the way is for now, and I'm not gonna worry about it too much.
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-15-2014 04:41 PM
    ^^ What you said. I haven't missed root as much as I thought I might, but I'm crossing my fingers for something to come out after 5.0.1. I'm hopeful that we'll have something by Spring - depending on that bounty and the fine folks at XDA!
    12-15-2014 04:45 PM
    I didn't feel the need to root this device at first either. I did have to install a launcher as I felt the stock launcher was crap.

However, after using this phone for a few weeks, I now feel differently. It started to hang and get the Droid Lag last week, so I had to perform an FDR. This is a royal pain, since you cannot backup the device without root. (Here's were Apple gets it right as the iPhone can be backed up completely and any FDR is simply a matter of waiting for the restore to finish.) I am sure that the Droid lag is from the bloatware that VZW installs. I've got it all of it disabled, which was probably why it started lagging.

So, I want root, if only to be able to backup the phone completely and not have to reinstall everything after an FDR. It's been years since I installed a custom ROM. Not since the Dinc, but being able to restore the device without any hassle is extremely important to me.
    12-16-2014 08:23 AM