Took a spill on my bicycle and my Turbo (64GB) came flying out of my unzipped back pocket.

Not unlike buttered toast it landed face down on the gravel path and this was the result:

So much for Gorilla Glass 3 (Broken Screen)-img_20141128_170511958.jpg

The screen was completely unresponsive but the streamed music and fitness tracker app (Strava) continued to run. I did have a screen protector on my phone. (Standard Verizon scratch protector)

When I got home I called Verizon to use my one time free screen replacement, neither person I spoke to heard of it but they found it in the system. A couple days later I had my replacement phone (refurb).

Guess I am going to look for a case after all...
    12-04-2014 11:49 AM
    Gorilla glass will prevent many fractures but glass is glass. Don't blame gg for a fracture like that.
    cyberr8der likes this.
    12-04-2014 12:04 PM
    Gorilla Glass helps with scratches and other things .. It isn't unbreakable. They never advertise it to be unbreakable. The fact is .. if you drop any phone the right way .. especially on its face .. it is going to break.
    dpham00 likes this.
    12-04-2014 12:33 PM
    No offense but I wouldn't expect the phone to survive that kind of impact in tact without a heavy duty case. And in your case, I would recommend s tempered glass screen protector as well.

Gorilla glass is not indestructible, there are plenty of stories of people with Gorilla glass screens getting broken.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-04-2014 12:50 PM
    OUCH!
    12-04-2014 02:30 PM
    By the way, if my post read to the OP or anybody as unsympathetic, my apologies. It sucks when that happens to anybody. It's too bad that phones these days are still so fragile.

I just wanted to point out that GG is not and does not claim to be indestructible. It does prevent many fractures, though, particularly those caused by scratches in the glass that make the glass more prone to break. I think a lot more of us would have broken displays if we didn't have GG.
    sullywagon likes this.
    12-04-2014 03:20 PM
    Took a spill on my bicycle and my Turbo (64GB) came flying out of my unzipped back pocket.

Not unlike buttered toast it landed face down on the gravel path and this was the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141128_170511958.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	152303

The screen was completely unresponsive but the streamed music and fitness tracker app (Strava) continued to run. I did have a screen protector on my phone. (Standard Verizon scratch protector)

When I got home I called Verizon to use my one time free screen replacement, neither person I spoke to heard of it but they found it in the system. A couple days later I had my replacement phone (refurb).

Guess I am going to look for a case after all...
    This has just happened to my boyfriend's phone and then his replacement phone within the FIRST drop. The screens were destroyed and unusable. This may seem normal if you are used to regular glass screens, but this is a huge upset because he previously had a Motorola RAZR MAXX HD and he could throw it at concrete walls, wreck his bicycle at top speed and land on it, or drop it on a daily without a scratch. He had it for two years and it worked great. This phone only lasted a few weeks. How sad.
    sullywagon and TJ Kelly Jr like this.
    05-01-2015 06:00 PM
    The more the push the glass to the edges the easier they break. I ride my bike a lot, while riding I use a heavy duty case and always a screen protector. Helped when I dropped wiped

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-01-2015 08:47 PM
    Ouch is right... That is a bummer. Hopefully you didn't end up all broken like your phone after that wipe out! 💥🚴💨🚑🚨

05-02-2015 02:31 AM
    Dear Sullywagon,
    I barley dropped my phone a few I nches from the ground, but it landed perfectly flat face down on the tile and shattered. I called Verizon and they said "There is no such thing as 1st replacement glass free..." Do you know how they found it in the system? Does everyone who bought their phone with Verizon have this feature or was it something additional that you included at time of phone purchase?
    09-10-2015 08:25 PM
    I distinctly remember that when this phone first came out that was one of the selling points. It was not something that you had to include at the time of purchase.
    09-10-2015 08:34 PM
    Dear Sullywagon,
    I barley dropped my phone a few I nches from the ground, but it landed perfectly flat face down on the tile and shattered. I called Verizon and they said "There is no such thing as 1st replacement glass free..." Do you know how they found it in the system? Does everyone who bought their phone with Verizon have this feature or was it something additional that you included at time of phone purchase?
    Uninformed Verizon clerk. One-time replacement comes with the phone. Get face-to-face & demand they check higher on the food chain. Be prepared for a, "huh, never heard of that before".
    09-10-2015 08:37 PM
    Dear Sullywagon,
    Tell them to do a Google search, this is the first thing to pop up... Right from the Verizon website.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=3Hbe_yd9
    dawghowse likes this.
    09-10-2015 09:28 PM
    Uninformed Verizon clerk. One-time replacement comes with the phone. Get face-to-face & demand they check higher on the food chain. Be prepared for a, "huh, never heard of that before".
    I've tried to get a job with Verizon many times and ways failed. It's stories like this that make me feel disgusted that someone with zero knowledge of a product can get the job but someone like myself that knows the products is "not what we are looking for".

Oh well, tell them to Google it. They can do it and then they can look harder.
    09-11-2015 05:40 AM
    Dear Sullywagon,
    Its because it is not something Verizon offers. It's a perk Motorola offers and Verizon has agreed to be the middle man.

I'm surprised it worked in this case because it's specifically for broken glass. I was always told if the the actual display board is broken then it's a no go.

09-11-2015 10:03 PM
    Its because it is not something Verizon offers. It's a perk Motorola offers and Verizon has agreed to be the middle man.

I'm surprised it worked in this case because it's specifically for broken glass. I was always told if the the actual display board is broken then it's a no go.

That would be a sneaky way for Motorola to avoid the policy if you ask me. Not saying you're wrong but it seems theyre replacing it either way.
    09-12-2015 03:30 AM
    My only gripe is the issue with calls coming in and phone not ringing, has got really bad lately. Just the VM pops up no call connect. Anyone else seeing this issue and any way to resolve?

09-12-2015 09:22 AM
    I'd contact Motorola because its their warranty. Moto x has it also I believe.

09-12-2015 08:22 PM

Um I think you are wrong on that one . This is off of the Verizon website . If it were a Motorola warranty I think it would say it on the Verizon site .
    Attached Thumbnails So much for Gorilla Glass 3 (Broken Screen)-turbo.jpg  
    09-13-2015 12:59 PM
    e had my turbo in its lifeproof case since it came out of the box and it has fell many times and the phone looks brand new, the case...not so much
    09-15-2015 07:38 PM
    Your not the only one that has broken the screen. I broke my first droid turbo September 1st. It had a small crack along side of the screen from when i dropped it onto my couch and it hit my controller. The small crack made the entire screen useless. So today September 21st, I put my 20 day old droid turbo in my back pocket and sat down (my fault) and it caused it to have a half inch crack at the very corner of the phone which is making this one useless.

Verizon covered me for my first phone screen replacement however, this one cost me 100 bucks. It sucks because these screens crack so easily I treat my phones extremely well and of course its the weird incidents that break the screen. It has me looking at replacing it with a S5 or something that doesn't shatter is easily.

My phone has one of those silicone cases and a plastic screen protector, which seems to be pretty much useless.
    09-21-2015 01:19 PM
    Your not the only one that has broken the screen. I broke my first droid turbo September 1st. It had a small crack along side of the screen from when i dropped it onto my couch and it hit my controller. The small crack made the entire screen useless. So today September 21st, I put my 20 day old droid turbo in my back pocket and sat down (my fault) and it caused it to have a half inch crack at the very corner of the phone which is making this one useless.

Verizon covered me for my first phone screen replacement however, this one cost me 100 bucks. It sucks because these screens crack so easily I treat my phones extremely well and of course its the weird incidents that break the screen. It has me looking at replacing it with a S5 or something that doesn't shatter is easily.

My phone has one of those silicone cases and a plastic screen protector, which seems to be pretty much useless.
    Dang, cracked from hitting the couch? Hit the corner or something? Got me worried now..lol

09-21-2015 03:24 PM
    Dang, cracked from hitting the couch? Hit the corner or something? Got me worried now..lol

I've had my Turbo since launch and I've never cracked it. I do find plastic screen protectors to do nothing more than provide scratch resistance though. If you want any form of protection, and a good feel, get Tempered Glass. That's what I use.
    09-21-2015 06:24 PM