Data still used when Wi-Fi is turned on, Verizon won't help

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
So I heard here that the Droid Turbo has a problem where when the Wi-Fi is turned on, it still uses the data unless it's explicitly turned off. I experienced this firsthand when I had a YouTube marathon on it one night with the Wi-Fi on, and suddenly got a message telling me 75% of my data was used.

My data doesn't reset until the 18th, and it's a shared family plan. We're at 90% now, despite us all using as little as possible (or can be governed).

I read here that someone called Verizon and told them about the issue, and the rep said that it's a known issue that's being worked on, and that he won't be charged for any data overages in the interim. Hoping to get a similar result, I called, but I was instead told that nothing could be done and that I'd have to just bear with it.

So now what? Was that person's case a unique one and not shared with others, or is my case the exception to the rule? Should I call again and see if they'll be lenient this time? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

P.S.: If this belongs in the Verizon forum, my apologies. Just felt like this was the most pertinent place, but I might be mistaken.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
So I heard here that the Droid Turbo has a problem where when the Wi-Fi is turned on, it still uses the data unless it's explicitly turned off. I experienced this firsthand when I had a YouTube marathon on it one night with the Wi-Fi on, and suddenly got a message telling me 75% of my data was used.

My data doesn't reset until the 18th, and it's a shared family plan. We're at 90% now, despite us all using as little as possible (or can be governed).

I read here that someone called Verizon and told them about the issue, and the rep said that it's a known issue that's being worked on, and that he won't be charged for any data overages in the interim. Hoping to get a similar result, I called, but I was instead told that nothing could be done and that I'd have to just bear with it.

So now what? Was that person's case a unique one and not shared with others, or is my case the exception to the rule? Should I call again and see if they'll be lenient this time? Or am I just screwed?

Thanks.

P.S.: If this belongs in the Verizon forum, my apologies. Just felt like this was the most pertinent place, but I might be mistaken.

Question. Have you checked your data usage as recorded on your Verizon account using the Verizon website?

Because this could simply be a log error on your phone-- I.e. the data counter on your phone is counting ALL data against your predetermined limit.

Posted via the Android Central App

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site

Thanks.

Don't accept it! , call them back and raise hell, remember they work for you. I seen this same issue on another forum website last night, so it's definitely something in the vzw Kool aid. I haven't experienced this myself... I have unlimited everything.

Sent from my DROID Turbo64

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree. Call back and be polite but insistent that you should not be charged for their mistake. If need be escalate, escalate, escalate.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
... I was instead told that nothing could be done and that I'd have to just bear with it.

Symthic, you aren't able to use data that you paid for, because it is being used up for you. If Verizon doesn't make it right with you and many others (myself included) who are having this problem, it is outright fraud! Once you go over your data limit, they will begin charging you for overages; that's a scam if I ever heard of one.

Imagine if you have limited data, but your WiFi connection is also metered. You are then paying overages to two companies for the same data usage. This is unacceptable! I love Verizon's coverage, but they had better get the picture.

Everyone keep calling them until they agree to not hold their users accountable for this bug!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would be a little upset at the answer that I have to bear with it ... I would ask them why they would sell me a phone that does that .. When their own tips to save data are to use wifi. If you have to speak with a manager and speak your concerns on how this isn't your fault and you're going to be charged for an issue that shouldn't be an issue? Always stay polite though .. usually getting rude does nothing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Call back, and ask to speak to a supervisor if the csr gives you the same crap. Sometimes the csr is lazy, and the easiest answer is, sorry can't help. And make sure to document everything. If the first call won't resolve it, then call again.

If you end up getting overages because of it then call and ask to have it removed. If not take down their information and let them know that you would like to try to resolve this matter over the phone before filing a notice of dispute. If they refuse, then file a notice of dispute.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...g9fSAZAI2k9NHGnWg&sig2=dm0B_VLvYxuMjvxmUCf_mw

On another note, I would suggest that you install Tasker and set it to automatically disable mobile data when connected to wifi.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm with others - I'd call back. It may be that they won't do anything until you actually have an overage - in other words, after you get billed call back (or have the family plan owner call) and insist on a credit for overages due to your phone's usage.

See this post for reference: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/462269-data-usage.html#post4060169

Also, you can try what is supposed to be a temporary fix for now:

1.) Turn wifi off
2.) Turn airplane mode on
3.) Turn wifi on (while still in airplane mode)
4.) Turn airplane mode off

I'd guess that you should do that every time you restart the phone. Maybe every time that you connect to a WiFi access point? It's be interesting to monitor usage going forward and see if that solves the problem...

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
... On another note, I would suggest that you install Tasker and set it to automatically disable mobile data when connected to wifi...

This is a great idea, but unfortunately the Verizon Visual Voicemail app is not capable of running on WiFi alone, so if you use it you won't get voicemails... Thanks Verizon.

Also, I have seen at least one report that disabling mobile data does not stop the data leakage. So this may or may not work.

wsteske

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I called Wednesday and kinda got the runaround also. They told me they didn't know of any issues with data. My phone is showing .49GB while Verizon is showing 1.38GB used in only 10 days. I've used between 1.5 and 2.25GB a month for the past 18 months. They finally told me they were giving it to a technician to investigate and I would receive a phone call back within 48 hours. I'm at hour 49........

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I called Wednesday and kinda got the runaround also. They told me they didn't know of any issues with data. My phone is showing .49GB while Verizon is showing 1.38GB used in only 10 days. I've used between 1.5 and 2.25GB a month for the past 18 months. They finally told me they were giving it to a technician to investigate and I would receive a phone call back within 48 hours. I'm at hour 49........

I'd do the airplane mode fix from above while you wait for the call...

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
My brother and I both have the Droid Turbo. He has run into this issue and I have not. He called Verizon about it and the level 1 person had no idea that this is a known issue. Therefore he told my brother he must be unknowingly using mobile data instead of WiFi. My brother did not accept this and the call was escalated. The level 2 person knew about this issue and told my brother no overages would be billed to him this month regardless of how much data was used.

So not everyone at Verizon is aware of this, but it is a known issue. Keep pushing until you get in touch with someone who knows about this issue and is willing to take care of it.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm on unlimited I don't normally pay attention, but my phone and the Verizon website are both reporting similar usage. I guess I'm not affected.

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Since I'm on unlimited I don't normally pay attention, but my phone and the Verizon website are both reporting similar usage. I guess I'm not affected.

I ckecked my usage as well, phone reports 630mb, VZW site reports 680mb. Pretty close, but I can see how small plans might have an issue.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
... after you get billed call back (or have the family plan owner call) and insist on a credit for overages due to your phone's usage...

I strongly recommend talking to Verizon *before* you have an overage. I fear that if you wait, Verizon will try to stick it to you. But if you notify them immediately that there is a serious discrepancy, the ball is in their court.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I use so little data it's pathetic but even with my meager usage, the data reported by the phone vs. Verizon is substantial, almost double. Just to affirm that Verizon is aware of the glitch I called to report it. I spoke to a very nice young lady who, after a bit of digging, found documentation of the problem & said a fix was in the works involving both Motorola and Verizon. I'd urge anyone with data issues to call them, the more they understand it's a widespread issue the more likelihood of prioritizing a fix.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use so little data it's pathetic but even with my meager usage, the data reported by the phone vs. Verizon is substantial, almost double. Just to affirm that Verizon is aware of the glitch I called to report it. I spoke to a very nice young lady who, after a bit of digging, found documentation of the problem & said a fix was in the works involving both Motorola and Verizon. I'd urge anyone with data issues to call them, the more they understand it's a widespread issue the more likelihood of prioritizing a fix.

Good to hear a fix is coming :).

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Phone reports about 325 MB through Wifi, about 1225 MB through data, but the My Verizon app is reporting about 1600 MB data so that's about half of the 3GB I'm allotted (normally 2, extra 1 promotional this month). I hope the fix comes soon. I have to monitor my usage. I don't reset until the 22nd.

Drachenfire

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I have not experienced this issue on my Turbo.

Have you insured your system software (not the Android version) is up to date? Mine is at 21.21.15.en.US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21