02-13-2015 06:45 PM
35 12
tools
    Not to burst your bubble, but I'm seeing the same disappointing screen off time, and I've already gotten over the newness of the phone after just a few days with it. I go into airplane mode at night and the battery drops 6% overnight. My LG G2 only used 2% overnight. I have no bad wakelocks, no runaway apps draining battery--the thing just fades more quickly than I think a 3900 mAh battery should.

I'm now wondering if it's all the Moto customizations that are draining the battery when the phone is otherwise idle. Active Display sensors and whatnot. If so then there's no hope to get the idle battery life to where I want it because turning those off would kill one of the most interesting features of the phone.

Before buying the phone I hoped to surpass the LG G2's battery life where I routinely got 5 days between charges (I'm a very light user), sometimes 6 days and I think even 7 days on a couple rare occasions. Instead I'm having to charge the Turbo every 3 days with the same very light use, or a max of 4 days if I want to push it into low single-digit battery left at the end of the 4th day. Very disappointing.
    Have you done the Volte update yet? My battery life is at least 50% better after installing the update. I was seriously debating taking it back as the battery life was comparable to the Galaxy S5 it had replaced, but I just got 2 days with almost 6 hours of screen on time. I'm totally happy.
    MentatYP likes this.
    12-16-2014 12:22 PM
    Have you done the Volte update yet? My battery life is at least 50% better after installing the update. I was seriously debating taking it back as the battery life was comparable to the Galaxy S5 it had replaced, but I just got 2 days with almost 6 hours of screen on time. I'm totally happy.
    Downloading the update right now, thanks for the heads-up! I won't know if it makes a difference for me and if so how much until I've had it for a few days, but I'll come back with an update once I have some idea of how it's doing.
    12-16-2014 02:49 PM
    I factory reset my phone after receiving the update, so I still have to redisable apps and change everything back to how I used to have it, but I hope to get comparable battery life to yours. That's the kind of battery life I was hoping for!
    12-16-2014 07:01 PM
    OK, so it took about a month, but for whatever reason idle drain has gotten much better. Instead of 4-6% overnight I'm only losing 2% overnight. Before I could only go 3 days tops between charges, and now I've gone 5 days a few times and normally get 4 days. Last charge went 4 days with 4+ hours of screen time. No idea what happened to the phone--didn't uninstall any apps or anything like that, so it's like it got better on its own. Weird, but I'm somewhat happy now. Still not as good as I thought it would be considering its huge battery--hasn't even come close to the max 7 days I've gotten out of my LG G2 on a few occasions--but definitely better.

Now watch the Lollipop update destroy battery life again
    02-13-2015 02:09 AM
    OK, so it took about a month, but for whatever reason idle drain has gotten much better. Instead of 4-6% overnight I'm only losing 2% overnight. Before I could only go 3 days tops between charges, and now I've gone 5 days a few times and normally get 4 days. Last charge went 4 days with 4+ hours of screen time.
    4 days and 4hr sot? I'm barely managing 20hrs with 4hr sot! It seems like it just got terrible all of a sudden...

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-13-2015 02:16 AM
    Yeah, mine's worse too. Actually had to charge it to make it through a day a couple of times. I keep everything on (except BT) and screen on Auto but only get about 2.5-3 hours of SOT and 18 hours total per charge. In the past I was getting 50% more! Today I'm at 75% after 5 hours with an hour of screen time (all WiFI) and that's and improvement but I did turn off some of the Moto stuff (like approach sensors and twist for camera) last night after having to charge it.
    02-13-2015 12:05 PM
    I hope that the incoming lollipop update, even if it brings lollipop bugs, will at least fix the battery inconsistencies. I'm also hoping that these battery issues truly are software problems and not hardware problems.

02-13-2015 12:39 PM
    just scanning the comments but it seems I am the only one that thinks 30% with 5 and a half hours of screen on time isn't even bad?
    02-13-2015 06:41 PM
    Been tons of post about Facebook Messaging app bug draining batteries??
    02-13-2015 06:43 PM
    just scanning the comments but it seems I am the only one that thinks 30% with 5 and a half hours of screen on time isn't even bad?
    Its not that its bad battery life in general, but its pretty bad considering some phones are getting equal or even better screen on time with much smaller batteries, running bloated skins, etc...

02-13-2015 06:45 PM
35 12