Hey Guys,

I'm aware of the issue where WiFi data is being seen as cell data and how the Verizon Engineers are still working on getting this resolved (talked to Verizon again yesterday to ensure I would get credit for going over my data) but it sure seems to me like there is more to it than just this. I rarely ever used WiFi before because I was never in a WiFi hotspot and didn't use my phone at home. With my previous phone I'd typically use .5 to 1 gig a month in data. The first month with my Turbo I'm looking at probably around 2.5 gig and I don't believe I've much changed how I use my phone and my issue is NOT related to the WiFi being recorded as cell data problem.

Within about 5 days of getting the phone I noticed I was sucking down a large amount of data (was around .5 gig already) and made sure that the Play Store only did auto updates while connected to WiFi and I turned OFF auto playing of videos on Facebook. Still, I'm using a lot more data than I previously did... or so it seems.

I noticed that when I'm on a PC and I'm signed into my Google account that if I go to History it will say that my phone shows a few web pages from, for example, 2 hours ago but I did not open the browser then and the last time a browser was open on my phone was like 12 hours ago. I can't imagine this being the cause but maybe a bunch of stuff like this adds up? Also, because this phone has such a high resolution, do apps like Facebook bring in higher resolution images when just browsing a wall? I don't stream much and I don't do much else other than Facebook every so often so am at a bit of a loss as to how/why this phone is going through so much data. Facebook is showing .75gig so far, Google Play store .36gig, and email .17gig. Those are the three big ones. I suppose it is possible I am just using the phone more because it is a new "toy" and maybe a bunch of apps had more updates this month than normal but I don't know... still seems a bit crazy. LOL

I'm just curious if there is another problem/issue with data on this phone? If not, maybe I'll just have to get used to paying for 3gig instead of 2gig! haha

I do have MacroDroid and next month may have to start having it turn data on/off so that is another option for me if there is nothing else wrong with data usage other than the widely talked about WiFi vs Cell recording of usage.

Thanks!
    12-07-2014 09:31 AM
    I for one am very confused with the data usage with this phone. Does using GPS count against your data usage?
    12-08-2014 02:28 PM
    I think you're seeing the same issue. I noticed that Google apps in particular seem to use mobile data even on WiFi (specifically downloading apps and games in Play Store). Anyway, there is a software update coming down which, for me at least, seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't mention whether the problem was specifically addressed, but so far it's looking good.
    12-12-2014 12:59 PM
    I for one am very confused with the data usage with this phone. Does using GPS count against your data usage?
    What do you mean by "using GPS"? Do you mean getting location in apps from the GPS radio? No, it uses no data, or minimal data (location services also triangulate wifi access points and cell towers and I assume look them up over a data connection to get location, unless you've set location to "device only') .

Do you mean navigating with an app like Google maps? Oh, yes, those apps use data to update the map locations, traffic, etc., as you move.
    12-12-2014 01:19 PM