Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

Samsung put two cellular antennas and connections to the antennas in the note 4 so one can be used for cdma for calling and one can be used for lte for data at the same time. The new moto phones don't have this - you can use cdma for calls or data (but not at the same time) or lte for data (but not calls, yet). Once they add volte you can use lte for calls and data at the same time. That's coming.

The inability to use cdma for calls and data at the same time is a limitation of cdma, not the phone.

CKaelin

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

Hey Dooglad, Do you think android/google will roll out an update for the nexus 6 when voLTE is available on Verizon to enable "advanced calling 1.0"? If I didn't get the phone from Verizon I won't get the update from them right? If Verizon ends up not selling the nexus 6 will I be out of luck? Trying to decide if I should keep this nexus or send it back within the 15 days.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Hey Dooglad, Do you think android/google will roll out an update for the nexus 6 when voLTE is available on Verizon to enable "advanced calling 1.0"? If I didn't get the phone from Verizon I won't get the update from them right? If Verizon ends up not selling the nexus 6 will I be out of luck? Trying to decide if I should keep this nexus or send it back within the 15 days.

Since this is a problem unique to CDMA networks and not Android, this is a Verizon issue. My guess is you will be dependent on Verizon for a solution. But your guess is as good as mine. Verizon is rolling out the software by phone model. They would need to know you are using a Nexus 6 for you to get the updates even if they are selling the phone. If they are not selling it, ????????????

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It's very possible that the phone is already ready for volte but verizon isn't ready to activate it yet. They have to activate the feature for your account, then your phone is ready to use volte. I know verizon really wants phones to be on volte.

Frank LaMorte

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

Guys, the problem is with the lack of a radio within the Droud Turbo. It's missing the cdma radio which verizon uses for all voice calls. Verizon will eventually close cdma frequency but most likly nit until 2020 so thoses that use data and voice togeather shoukd stay with the CDMA radios.

Only the most recent phones can't do it. This is mandated by VZW so they aren't conflicting with the new VOLTE standard that VZW was late in rolling out.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

Guys, the problem is with the lack of a radio within the Droud Turbo. It's missing the cdma radio which verizon uses for all voice calls. Verizon will eventually close cdma frequency but most likly nit until 2020 so thoses that use data and voice togeather shoukd stay with the CDMA radios.

The turbo has a cdma radio - it's how it's making calls and getting 3G data right now. It just can't run a connection to cdma and lte at the same time, as most other phone can, and cdma cannot do voice and data while on a call. The moto x and the iPhone on verizon are similar - a cdma radio, no lte while on a call.

Ricky Wade

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Dropping data when on a call

I recently talked with Verizon and Motorola at the same time on a conference call...Motorola is taking the blame for everything...There new Voice over Data program was not installed cause the think tank forgot to even come up with a Hardware program to begin with...They also told me that they should have it after the first of the year and of course all new phones from here on out will have this new hardware Voice over Data unless you have Verizon Turn it off so that you can use it like you always have from Previous Devices

JTMFLY

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Dropping data when on a call

I guess this is my problem with a new state of the art smart phone that is basically useless to me at this time. I need voice and data at the same time!!! What really kills me is the fact that the corporate Verizon stores (two in my area that I have gone to because of this) are unaware of this problem. Their solution was first to replace my sim card, then to send me 50 miles to another corporate store that had a new Droid Turbo. Activate that phone test it and it was fine. Then the update came through and the phone went back to having the same issue of going into 1G. Almost all my calls sounds as if I am talking in a tunnel or I get so much static that I cannot understand the person that called me or I called. This is really such a shame!!! I replaced a Droid Razr Maxx that I still have and I am seriously thinking about going back to it. NEVER EVER had an issue with it dropping calls when I was doing data or vice versa. I called Motorola twice today and their answer to this issue was to take the phone back to the corporate Verizon store and have them replace my 2nd Turbo for a 3rd. I really don’t understand why both Verizon and Motorola aren’t just fessing up to the fact that the phone is INFERIOR at this time. Oh that’s right we are in the holiday season and it is going to affect sales!!! So it is better to upset loyal Verizon and Droid users??? This is the problem now adays make the buck and screw the customer. Just be honest and it will profit them more in the future.

fmb3905

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo No voice and data at the same time?

I was told that Motorola will be coming out with a software update to the Droid Turbo so that it can support simultaneous voice and data. Anyone know if the is is true, and if so, when? Also, does the Samsung Galaxy S5 support simultaneous voice & data? I need to use voice on conference calls while I'm running my laptop tethered to the LTE hotspot on my phone. My old HTC Thunderbolt did this just fine... I have 2 days left to trade in the Droid Turbo, please answer ASAP! Thanks!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I was told that Motorola will be coming out with a software update to the Droid Turbo so that it can support simultaneous voice and data. Anyone know if the is is true, and if so, when? Also, does the Samsung Galaxy S5 support simultaneous voice & data? I need to use voice on conference calls while I'm running my laptop tethered to the LTE hotspot on my phone. My old HTC Thunderbolt did this just fine... I have 2 days left to trade in the Droid Turbo, please answer ASAP! Thanks!

It's not gonna happen in two days! Lol

The update will come but patience is the key.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Here goes my non-techie explanation. The upcoming VoLTE update will allow us to use simultaneous voice & data while talking to others with that update or already have VoLTE enabled on VZW. At some point this will also apply when talking to AT&T (wireless) users - looks like sometime later next year. So no land lines, Sprint, T-mobile.

The only timetable for the update that has been stated is before the end of the year - a goal, but we don't even know for sure. I think that VZW is putting out the update, though I could be wrong. I mean, Motorola had our Lollipop update but handed it over to VZW to distribute - according to Motorola tech support.

So unfortunately fmb3905, we're out of luck for now. Although obviously you still have wifi access during calls, if you can do it that way.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Here goes my non-techie explanation. The upcoming VoLTE update will allow us to use simultaneous voice & data while talking to others with that update or already have VoLTE enabled on VZW. At some point this will also apply when talking to AT&T (wireless) users - looks like sometime later next year. So no land lines, Sprint, T-mobile.

Nope, all calls that you place or receive will be done with VoLTE while you are in an LTE area when the phone supports Advanced Calling and you turn the feature on, whether it's from another Advanced Calling user or not, and you will be able to receive data at the same time. You will only be able to get the HD Voice, 6 way conference, and video calls while on VoLTE, but normal calls in an LTE area will allow voice and data. CDMA calls (i.e., calls placed outside LTE coverage) will not get voice and data, but they never can on any Verizon phones (except for a couple that came out in 2011, I think, that supported SVDO.)

The Galaxy S5 can do voice and data. Though it is VoLTE enabled, it doesn't need VoLTE to do so - it can do CDMA calling and LTE data at the same time. The only Verizon Android phones right now that cannot do voice and data are the Turbo, the 2014 Moto X, and the Nexus 6, when that comes out on Verizon.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ Thanks for the correction! Sorry, I confused the issue with Advanced Calling features where both parties require VoLTE, as you said. I thought I had read that it was all tied together via the upcoming update, but obviously not.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Nope, all calls that you place or receive will be done with VoLTE while you are in an LTE area when the phone supports Advanced Calling and you turn the feature on, whether it's from another Advanced Calling user or not, and you will be able to receive data at the same time. You will only be able to get the HD Voice, 6 way conference, and video calls while on VoLTE, but normal calls in an LTE area will allow voice and data. CDMA calls (i.e., calls placed outside LTE coverage) will not get voice and data, but they never can on any Verizon phones (except for a couple that came out in 2011, I think, that supported SVDO.)

The Galaxy S5 can do voice and data. Though it is VoLTE enabled, it doesn't need VoLTE to do so - it can do CDMA calling and LTE data at the same time. The only Verizon Android phones right now that cannot do voice and data are the Turbo, the 2014 Moto X, and the Nexus 6, when that comes out on Verizon.

There are other phones than those three. To name one the Z3v.

fmb3905

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the info... I guess I'm going to have to trade this phone in for a Galaxy S5 - too bad, I really like the other features on this Droid Turbo, especially the battery life and turbo charging. Sigh.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

There are other phones than those three. To name one the Z3v.

Thanks, but is that the only other one? The rest of the major phones - S5, Note 4, HTC One, G3 - can either do voice and data without volte or are already volte enabled.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, but is that the only other one? The rest of the major phones - S5, Note 4, HTC One, G3 - can either do voice and data without volte or are already volte enabled.

Yep, just those four right now, because they don't have the traditional simultaneous voice and data capability and VoLTE is not yet enabled on them. The Iphone 6 can do it, but because it has VoLTE turned on.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

VZW has PROMISED the VOLTE update by the end of the year, which is unusual considering most updates are "you get them when we decide you get them." I'm sure I'm not the only one who really wanted this device but do really need the simultaneous voice and data for work and general use. Now there is only about 3 weeks left in the year, which will go by quickly with the holidays. Seems like they are probably going to cut it close. What are your opinions as to whether or not we will get this by the end of the year as promised? I'm almost always in solid LTE areas, so this will be a very useful feature for me. Here's the excerpt from their website regarding this update......

Motorola Customer Care

November 23, 2014

Droid Turbo is Simultaneous Voice and Data Update ready, which means it will require Advanced Calling 1.0 to enable Simultaneous Voice and Data. The Droid Turbo will receive Advanced Calling 1.0 by end of year.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

Advanced Calling 1.0 is now an active option in Features on My Verizon. I added it to my Turbo line via the My Verizon app.

The feature doesn't work yet (no option to activate on the phone), but I'd think this means we're very close.

Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-59-59.jpg

Last edited:

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

I see the Advanced Calling 1.0 listed, but not sure whether I can do anything else regarding it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie