12-19-2014 11:51 AM
436 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Ah, it all makes sense now. I kept hearing how Motorola had sent the Lollipop update over to VZW, who we are waiting on to roll it out for the DT. I guess a lot of us also assumed that VZW would be rolling out the VoLTE update when actually Motorola is conducting the soak test for it. So, back to tempering my Lollipop expectations, but welcoming at least the limited simultaneous voice/data with this update!
    12-10-2014 09:23 PM
    Nice, it is a feature I really don't care about.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-10-2014 09:32 PM
    Did vzw actually promise an update of any kind by any date? I can't remember seeing verizon actually state that. Maybe I'm wrong...

Moto's reputation is not on the line here. Maybe with a few people here, but the general public doesn't give a rats behind about it. Again, that's us techies here thinking the rest of the world cares about this stuff as much as us. They don't.
    Yes, Verizon has promised in writing the VOLTE update by the end of the year. If you go to the Turbo web page like you are going to buy one in the "Shop" section of the VZW website, take a look at the customer reviews. There are several complaining about not being able to use data while on a call. Verizon and Motorola responded to those reviews stating it would be updated by the end of the year.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-10-2014 09:36 PM
    That's valid, some people may not care, but while we're waiting for Lollipop I'd rather have some simultaneous voice/data and HD voice than not.
    12-10-2014 09:52 PM
    I gotta be honest here. I could care less about this feature. I would like to see lollipop before this. The area I travel has a few spots that switch data to 3g because 4g signal is weak. I probably wont even activate it. It is nice they are starting to roll it out though. I know they are changing some 3g signals over to 4g so maybe the signal will get better for the are I travel through.
    12-10-2014 10:18 PM
    I don't think most would disagree with you about Lollipop, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that'll happen so I'll take what I can get. 4g is covering almost the entire 3g map by now, but if not I'm sure it'll finish catching up quickly. VZW is now starting to phase out CDMA so it behooves them to complete the LTE coverage map asap.
    12-10-2014 11:37 PM
    I also received the soak test invite but since it went to my spam filter, I didn't see it until the sign-ups had closed.
    Surprised no one is in here talking about it so they must all be taking the "keep this to yourself" aspect seriously.
    12-11-2014 01:17 AM
    That's valid, some people may not care, but while we're waiting for Lollipop I'd rather have some simultaneous voice/data and HD voice than not.
    Agreed, just hope the update doesn't Bork the phone up.

And BTW, DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL!!! Sorry, every time I see your screen name, the skit comes to mind.
    12-11-2014 03:11 AM
    Noice, my work is done here. Though maybe I'll change my motto from now on: No Borking allowed!

In the overall scheme of things, this isn't a big update, so we should be ok... famous last words. Probably better this way, getting VoLTE separate from Lollipop. No extra variables/unknowns to confound things.
    12-11-2014 03:25 AM
    I don't think most would disagree with you about Lollipop, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that'll happen so I'll take what I can get. 4g is covering almost the entire 3g map by now, but if not I'm sure it'll finish catching up quickly. VZW is now starting to phase out CDMA so it behooves them to complete the LTE coverage map asap.
    Well, I can tell you from expirence the map isn't accurate. There's about a 10 mile section that is clearly in the red but always switches to 3g. I'm not ranting about it. Just hoping they switch this 3g signal to 4g as it is near a major city.
    This is why I will probably won't activate this feature because the call drops would stink. I don't really care about being able to talk and surf at the same time but dropping calls is a bigger deal. But I've also never tried VoLTE so maybe I'll really like it.
    12-11-2014 08:54 AM
    Did vzw actually promise an update of any kind by any date? I can't remember seeing verizon actually state that. Maybe I'm wrong...

Moto's reputation is not on the line here. Maybe with a few people here, but the general public doesn't give a rats behind about it. Again, that's us techies here thinking the rest of the world cares about this stuff as much as us. They don't.
    ^^ I don't know if truer words have ever been said - particularly annoyed when tech reviewers get caught up in criticizing phones for relatively insignificant issues and aren't thinking in terms of what's important in the overall experience for a typical user.

From OP's post, Motorola stated "by end of year". I didn't see a VZW announcement about it, but I had read on Droid Life that VZW told them Advanced Calling would be here before the end of the year.
    Verizon did confirm it before years end... They confirmed it to droid life as you said. Droid life wouldn't be allowed to say that if Verizon didn't actually confirm it to them.
    12-11-2014 11:39 AM
    Can Verizon VoLTE have HD calls with other carriers, or is it just within Verizon at the moment. I have heard that AT&T and T-Mobile supposedly rolled out their own Advanced Calling update, but it's been quiet.
    12-11-2014 11:58 AM
    Saw something a couple weeks ago that verizon and at&t entered into an agreement to communicate with HD between devices. Dont remember where I saw it.
    12-11-2014 12:08 PM
    Well, I can tell you from expirence the map isn't accurate. There's about a 10 mile section that is clearly in the red but always switches to 3g. I'm not ranting about it. Just hoping they switch this 3g signal to 4g as it is near a major city.
    This is why I will probably won't activate this feature because the call drops would stink. I don't really care about being able to talk and surf at the same time but dropping calls is a bigger deal. But I've also never tried VoLTE so maybe I'll really like it.
    I was going by what VZW has said. It doesn't mean their map isn't accurate, hence the "almost". I don't mean to argue, I believe you. Stay off it for now to be safe in that area. I'm just saying that it'll get covered sooner rather than later. I drive in the boonies myself and have passed through previously 4g deadspots that are no longer a problem, as of sometime earlier this year.
    12-11-2014 12:11 PM
    Oh Ive been dealing with them for 10 years I understand how their maps work. But thanks for pointing out the areas they have upgraded. Thats promising. I just dont plan to add the feature at first. Ill give it awhile and see how it works for some of my coworkers first. Honestly I dont really care about not being able to surf and talk at the same time. Maybe im doing something wrong but I dont even notice it. And Im not being an a** here but what are some situations thats its needed? If Im in the car and Im on gps and need to talk for longer than a minute I usually pull off. Thats the only time I could see using it. Or am I missing something here?
    12-11-2014 12:39 PM
    I like the simultaneous voice/data feature, but I'm not diehard about it like some people I've seen on here. But for me some examples of where it's been useful or close to necessary: hashing out something on the phone while on gps in an unfamiliar location, needing to get somewhere by a certain time; needing to reference pertinent emails or other info during a work conference call; sending a time-dependent email while in the middle of an in-depth discussion.
    mobrules likes this.
    12-11-2014 12:54 PM
    You can only do hd voice with other verizon advanced calling users for now. The agreement to connect with at&t users is coming later.
    12-11-2014 01:06 PM
    I like the simultaneous voice/data feature, but I'm not diehard about it like some people I've seen on here. But for me some examples of where it's been useful or close to necessary: hashing out something on the phone while on gps in an unfamiliar location, needing to get somewhere by a certain time; needing to reference pertinent emails or other info during a work conference call; sending a time-dependent email while in the middle of an in-depth discussion.
    If you need to do that a lot I think you'd be better served to get a share everything plan, add a mobile hotspot to the plan for $10 a month, and connect to it via wifi while you are calling. With that then you are not limited to volte - you can access data in 3g areas as well, you won't drop calls if you are driving through areas without lte, etc.
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-11-2014 01:13 PM
    ^^ Yes, I think I remember reading something about within the next year, possibly by next summer, but nothing definitive.
    12-11-2014 01:15 PM
    ^^ Good info. I don't do it a lot, but I'm sure some do. Those were just examples of times I remember where it came in quite handy.
    12-11-2014 01:21 PM
    I'm in the same boat as far as coverage. We were always on the edge of usability on their 3G network, even though we're solidly in their network on their maps, and LTE is worse. LTE doesn't travel as far as 3G does, this is per a level 2 tech at Verizon and other sources as well. My LTE signal when I get it is -120 to -130dBm, basically unusable. So while they may have all of their existing towers converted to LTE, because it doesn't travel as far, they need to increase the amount of towers to have the same coverage that they had with their 3G network.

I live on a farm and I've offered to let them put a tower on my land. I'm in the middle of three towers and we just barely get their signal from one of them. So putting a tower here would blanket the entire area, but I submitted the form 2 months ago and nothing. I imagine they'll leave the towers layout the way they are and we'll have to use LTE Network Extenders whenever they decide to offer them, just like we have to now with their 3G network. In the past I've asked them what else they could do besides using a NE, and they said my only other option was to go to another carrier and they wouldn't charge me to go. Which is funny considering I was out of contract at the time. The problem there is the only other carrier in our area is AT&T and they have worse coverage than Verizon does. So my choices are bad or worse.
    12-11-2014 01:23 PM
    I am sure this will show up as an article shortly, but Verizon Wireless just retweeted an employee tweet that an update is going to start rolling out in phases today for VoLTE and simultaneous voice/data use for the Droid Turbo.

https://twitter.com/VZWalbert/status/543151303506284544

And the Android Central Article: http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...voice-and-data
    KPMcClave and HappyFunBall24 like this.
    12-11-2014 03:27 PM
    Keep it positive here. Too much negativity in some threads. As promised Verizon released the update before the end of the year. I'm thankful for this update since it means a lot for me to use. If it's not important to you just move on.

HappyFunBall24 and Mike-Mike like this.
    12-11-2014 05:29 PM
    Oops just noticed someone else shared this info first. Don't shoot. Good stuff for sure though.

12-11-2014 05:32 PM
    ROFL
    12-11-2014 05:50 PM
436 ... 910111213 ...