12-19-2014 12:51 PM
436 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    If you figure it out, please post it here. Interesting What you said about speakerphone and also about turning off VoLTE. I was planning in turning off VoLTR tonight because I rearely need voice+data but I always need a decent phone.
    I tried turning Volte off and the call sound quality is a little bit better, but still nowhere as near as good as it was before the update. I'm hoping maybe it's a bug that will be fixed. I don't actually use Data&Voice simultaneously, so losing that isn't a deal-breaker for me. I was just bummed that turning Volte off didn't fix it completely. I have had no problems with my phone (got it Nov 28th) up until this VOLTE update. The sound isn't terrible. Just a bit annoying. Honestly, all I can picture is Voldemort from Harry Potter with all the hissing noises that came along with this update. It's a killer phone otherwise! I just remind myself that the little annoyances like the sound quality are nothing when you can get 4 days out of one charge (this, of course, will vary by how often you use it. I got 4 days with light usage...texting, facebook, calls, ect).
    12-12-2014 07:26 PM
    Did turning Advanced Calling off help with the call sound quality? An earlier post in this thread said that turning VoLTE did not improve it for him/her
    I noticed a very very slight difference with Volte off, but not much. It was the teeniest bit better with Volte off.
    12-12-2014 07:28 PM
    Battery is much better but I have the bad call quality as well. Sounds like a bad skype call at points.

Also saw that msm_hsic_host has kept the phone awake for 2 1/2 hours today. Never saw it to that extent before the update.
    12-12-2014 07:33 PM
    Honestly, all I can picture is Voldemort from Harry Potter with all the hissing noises that came along with this update.
    Great, got another thing stuck in my head along with my posting embarrassment so now I'll have nightmares for days... Regardless, the reboot and cache partition wipe suggestions still stand! I can't be wrong about everything, ya? Don't answer that...
    mobrules likes this.
    12-12-2014 07:36 PM
    Just a guess, but I'm thinking that Verizon is being very aggressive with the audio compression for non-HD voice calls as they are rolling this out, so that they are sure that the feature works, and will hopefully reduce the compression a bit, and improve audio quality, as time goes on.
    12-12-2014 08:06 PM
    https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Google Voice fix-it instructions here. Worked ok on mine but I deff killed it in the update.
    So, the updated killed my Google Voice set-up too (something tells me a call to VZW will elicit apologies and an explanation that the 'bug' will be worked on). I tried the manual call forwarding, but now it just goes to the message "This call cannot be completed as dialed. Please call again later," or something along those lines. WTF?

Do I have to add the '1' to the Google Voice number for the forwarding?

EDIT: Ok, just outright tried to call my Google Voice number, and got the same message. WTH? Did it completely F up my Google Voice account somehow?

DOUBLE DOG EDIT: So, Google Voice tells me my number is different than the number it actually is (last digit of number is '4', but in my GV acct, it says my number ends with 7. Any ideas? The '4' number works and leads to my GV number.
    12-12-2014 08:08 PM
    So, the updated killed my Google Voice set-up too (something tells me a call to VZW will elicit apologies and an explanation that the 'bug' will be worked on). I tried the manual call forwarding, but now it just goes to the message "This call cannot be completed as dialed. Please call again later," or something along those lines. WTF?

Do I have to add the '1' to the Google Voice number for the forwarding?
    I had my phone replaced by insurance and was forced to do a Voice setup again. This was a day before the update and I had and still have that issue! No matter what I do it fails so its not an update issue.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-12-2014 08:10 PM
    Easy fix for Google Voice.
    just type in *71 followed by your google voice # and hit send

voila
    12-12-2014 08:32 PM
    Easy fix for Google Voice.
    just type in *71 followed by your google voice # and hit send

voila
    Did that multiple times. Even did the prompts on the website. Tried other dialer #s and still failed.

12-12-2014 08:36 PM
    Did that multiple times. Even did the prompts on the website. Tried other dialer #s and still failed.

I did all three numbers I saw posted 71, 90, and 92. Not sure if I only had to do one of them but it worked.

Oddly though on each of the three it told me my gv number it would be forwarding to and it showed correct except for the area code. My area code is 828 but it showed (820) xxx-xxxx. So I canceled and always on second try it had my correct area code. Just thought it was strange.
    12-12-2014 08:42 PM
    So I installed the update a few days ago and still have orange wifi logos on both wifi and 4G. I have never had this issue before. I cannot refresh simple apps like facebook and email. Just shows that its trying to refresh and doesnt do much at all. VERY irritating. Wiped cache and also forgot all networks to see if that did the trick. Nothing. Any ideas?
    12-12-2014 08:42 PM

Really weird when things work for some but not others. I have no explananation
    12-12-2014 08:46 PM

See my double edit post. When I look at GV on my phone, it tells me my number ends in '7'. But when I log in online and view the steps to set up GV on my phone, it tells me to use the '4' number, which is apparently my actual GV number. I believe the one ending in '7' is my access number, which I can set a pin up for. I haven't done so (since I use the GV app), so I believe that's why the I get the 'Call can't be completed...' message.
    12-12-2014 08:48 PM
    Go to settings on PC in gvoice, deactivate gvoice on the phone listed, then delete it, uninstall the app on your phone.
    This will not harm your gvoice number or such.

Reinstall app on phone, go through it's setup and setting of voicemail to gvoice, it will crap out saying it can't do it, just click through till it's done.
    Go to PC gvoice page, add phone, follow prompts for what to dial to confirm.
    Should work.
    MA2GA28 likes this.
    12-12-2014 09:38 PM
    Update in. This post is a non issue. We effectively have the same functionality as double radio phones but in some areas it will be spotty if 4g coverage is not yet great.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-13-2014 10:15 AM
    I think I'm seeing better battery life, but the phones only a week old. Haven't messed with the camera enough yet
    12-13-2014 10:46 AM
    I have yet to make an HD call but I get the hissing noise while on a standard call. I had this same noise on my S5 when VoLTE was activated so I would think its normal. Annoying but I'll get used to it since there's a good reason to use it.

just noticed this today, since its the first time making a phone call in a quiet environment since the update. a slight hissing in the backround.
    12-13-2014 11:56 AM
    Any word if the person you're talking to has been hearing the hissing or is it just on our end?
    12-13-2014 01:14 PM
    I've noticed that a couple of times when I made calls that even though connected it still says dialing and after I talked for a good 5 minutes when hung up the call duration said 0:00 time of call.

Gmail app is different looking too

12-13-2014 01:45 PM
    I am definitely getting much better call volume
    12-13-2014 02:11 PM
    Go to settings on PC in gvoice, deactivate gvoice on the phone listed, then delete it, uninstall the app on your phone.
    This will not harm your gvoice number or such.

Reinstall app on phone, go through it's setup and setting of voicemail to gvoice, it will crap out saying it can't do it, just click through till it's done.
    Go to PC gvoice page, add phone, follow prompts for what to dial to confirm.
    Should work.
    I did that 10+ times with no luck. I gave up.

12-13-2014 02:23 PM
    Any word if the person you're talking to has been hearing the hissing or is it just on our end?
    I believe its only on our end.

12-13-2014 02:24 PM
    Only happened twice but I have noticed when swiping to unlock there is a popup that says network error and disappears too quick to read it in its entirety.
    12-13-2014 02:50 PM
    Update: I switched back to non advanced. Call volume and sound is much better. Give up data and voice at same time but no biggie there.

12-13-2014 03:10 PM
    Only happened twice but I have noticed when swiping to unlock there is a popup that says network error and disappears too quick to read it in its entirety.
    I've noticed this too! Goes away too fast to read.

12-13-2014 03:18 PM
436 ... 1314151617 ...