12-19-2014 12:51 PM
436 ... 15161718
tools
    Quick question, is the menu option to enable advanced calling grayed out on your droid or was it enabled since you bought it? I bought mine direct from Verizon so don't see why mine would be different.
    12-13-2014 09:47 PM
    I seriously hope I explained that clear enough. I understand the technology but I keep finding myself editing it due to obvious errors.
    Stellar! And good job with the editing, as I've certainly run into that problem a couple of times recently on other threads by not thinking it through first, not researching enough, and/or just posting too quickly and coming back later spewing expletives (to and about myself, that is).
    12-13-2014 10:02 PM
    One more thing I noticed. I'm not getting the location found notification popping on anymore. It still come up on the left but not on the right.
    12-13-2014 10:05 PM
    The phone also doesn't get as hot while using GPS, playing games, or streaming video.
    12-13-2014 10:06 PM
    Quick question, is the menu option to enable advanced calling grayed out on your droid or was it enabled since you bought it? I bought mine direct from Verizon so don't see why mine would be different.
    I don't believe that the Advanced Calling setting was available until after the update, and since available it has only been grayed out while in the middle of a call (as far as I know!).

Sorry about your issues, unfortunately my limited know-how ends here (i.e. with my previous checklist post). Perhaps tech support calls are next?
    12-13-2014 10:06 PM
    The menu for Advanced Calling wasn't listed until after the update.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-13-2014 10:09 PM
    Haven't read through all the posts. Have a droid turbo. I notice a distinct hiss on my end. I think phone quality is worse. Anybody else notice this? One time I was talking to someone on an old mobile and the other talking to someone on an iPhone 4 or 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-13-2014 10:26 PM
    Haven't read through all the posts. Have a droid turbo. I notice a distinct hiss on my end. I think phone quality is worse. Anybody else notice this? One time I was talking to someone on an old mobile and the other talking to someone on an iPhone 4 or 5.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I don't have anyone to test HD voice with but even my standard calls sound better. Haven't had any hiss or anything yet though I know its bothering enough people to make them turn off the option.
    12-13-2014 10:27 PM
    The hiss/static/tin-foily noise doesn't appear to present itself when I'm on my bluetooth. Anyone else?
    12-13-2014 11:12 PM
    This might sound like a very stupid question, but I have not switched on my advanced calling for fear of this compromising my unlimited data. This will not have an effect that correct?
    paulmike3 likes this.
    12-14-2014 12:33 AM
    This might sound like a very stupid question, but I have not switched on my advanced calling for fear of this compromising my unlimited data. This will not have an effect that correct?
    Correct, no effect.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-14-2014 12:58 AM
    The hiss/static/tin-foily noise doesn't appear to present itself when I'm on my bluetooth. Anyone else?
    I agree. Only on earpiece for me.
    rxgadget likes this.
    12-14-2014 01:48 AM
    VoLTE is only available to Verizon postpaid accounts with the Turbo. Verizon's prepaid quite often lags in features - they just started allowing LTE phones on the network earlier this year. If you want VoLTE with the Turbo, you're going to have to use it on a normal Verizon postpaid account.

At this point if you need another phone or a wireless hotspot device if you want voice and data with the Turbo. Or switch back to a Verizon contract.

See Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless - scroll to the FAQ at the bottom.

Q: Who is eligible for Advanced Calling 1.0?

A: Any Verizon customer with a compatible phone and a postpaid calling plan is eligible
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-14-2014 06:44 AM
    Good question, I haven't seen a list other than the HD Voice-compatible list on VZW: Droid Turbo, G2, G3, S5, Droid Maxx/Mini, iPhone 6/6+. No idea which of those phones if any can't do video calling.
    The iPhones cannot do video calling yet.
    12-14-2014 06:51 AM
    Are you sure? It's been my understanding you could retain the data plus voice ability of VoLTE with or without HD Voice/Video Calling being enabled.
    Since VoLTE functionality ("Advanced Calling") enables voice calls to use the LTE network now along with data, you need this feature 'on' under settings. If you turn it 'off', then voice reverts back to the CDMA network; hence the Droid Turbo's single antenna cannot handle both voice & data from two networks at the same time.

However, if "Advanced Calling" is 'off' but you are also on wifi during a call, you will have your simultaneous voice/data, since obviously the data will be handled by the wifi network while the call is on CDMA. I think that covers the nuts and bolts? I came back more prepared, trying to redeem myself here...
    Just to add to this great answer, you do not need to be on an HD audio call, or a video call, to have voice and data when you have advanced calling turned on as a feature. Any calls that you place or receive while you are on LTE will allow voice and data.
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-14-2014 06:55 AM
    Patience, Daniel-san. Yes, there aren't many compatible phones right now for HD & video calls, but we'll get there. There are a bunch of other improvements that a lot of people in this thread are benefiting from, though; sorry if you're not.
    I don't know the reason why the new features are grayed out, that bothers me more than having to wait, I am concerned the update messed something up or failed, I know in other Turbo's these features are not grayed out. I have all kinds of patience; but believing the update may have screwed up my phone which was working perfectly prior to update does bother me.
    12-14-2014 08:17 AM
    Ok, it appears that the video calling icons or features when dialing are GRAYED out by default until the phone is picked up at the other end AND the phone is a Verizon customer AND the phone is a Turbo or what Verizon describes as a compatible device about a total a 4 new phones. Knowing that the default state of the video calling features IS being grayed out... would have saved me a little discomfort.
    12-14-2014 09:33 AM
    My girlfriend no longer hears an echo when I am on speaker phone.
    That's good to know. I tend to need to use speakerphone a lot and the several times I've tried it since having the Turbo, it was completely useless as EVERY person complained of a very heavy echo.
    12-14-2014 12:43 PM
    Just to add to this great answer, you do not need to be on an HD audio call, or a video call, to have voice and data when you have advanced calling turned on as a feature. Any calls that you place or receive while you are on LTE will allow voice and data.
    Thank you for the addition. I was thinking it was implied, but then again I made this mistake myself before related to this point and thankfully you pointed it out. So, below is my attempt at a complete summary of this matter (at the risk of leaving something out again, but trying to make up for recent mistakes)...

For the Droid Turbo (as of right now), the following are all of the requirements for SIMULTANEOUS VOICE AND DATA via 4g LTE*:

1. VZW customer, on a standard monthly plan (i.e., postpaid, not prepaid)
    2. Update 21.44.8 has been installed
    3. The feature labeled "HD Voice" has been enabled on this line via the My Verizon app/widget, VZW website, or VZW phone rep (can be done before or after #2; but if after, reboot the phone)
    4. Advanced Calling is turned 'on', under settings
    5. Call is placed within VZW's 4g LTE network range

NOTE: As long as the above is met, it does not matter whether the call itself is an HD voice or video call. It also does not matter whether the person on the other end of the call has VoLTE enabled, uses another carrier, uses a landline, etc (the other end does have requirements in order to make an HD voice/video call, described elsewhere).

*ADDENDUM: Using Wi-Fi also allows for simultaneous voice & data without Advanced Calling having to be 'on'.
    12-14-2014 12:49 PM
    Ok, it appears that the video calling icons or features when dialing are GRAYED out by default until the phone is picked up at the other end AND the phone is a Verizon customer AND the phone is a Turbo or what Verizon describes as a compatible device about a total a 4 new phones. Knowing that the default state of the video calling features IS being grayed out... would have saved me a little discomfort.
    Right. And just to add, the phone on the other end also needs to have Advanced Calling installed and enabled for that line and also be within VZW's 4g LTE network range. Supposedly at some point next year, we will have these capabilities extend to VoLTE enabled devices on AT&T as well.

I hear you about the frustration, but the phone doesn't know in advance if the person you're calling can use those features. Although, I have seen a couple of times so far where the buttons have NOT grayed out when talking to someone who cannot use them, hmm.

Meanwhile, what I also meant earlier was to not forget to look into and enjoy the other improvements brought about from that update, ya?
    12-14-2014 12:59 PM
    This update almost doubled my battery life. It was comparable to my old Galaxy s5 on AT&T before, now it got me through 2 days (Sat & Sun). so far today 6.5 hours, and only 11% used. Best update ever!
    12-15-2014 01:43 PM
    Right. And just to add, the phone on the other end also needs to have Advanced Calling installed and enabled for that line and also be within VZW's 4g LTE network range. Supposedly at some point next year, we will have these capabilities extend to VoLTE enabled devices on AT&T as well.

I hear you about the frustration, but the phone doesn't know in advance if the person you're calling can use those features. Although, I have seen a couple of times so far where the buttons have NOT grayed out when talking to someone who cannot use them, hmm.

Meanwhile, what I also meant earlier was to not forget to look into and enjoy the other improvements brought about from that update, ya?
    You know, I didn't try it but I noticed the options were not grayed out when talking to a T-Mobile customer on an iPhone. Not sure why but I think it was an iPhone 4 so can't imagine it has volte.
    12-15-2014 01:49 PM
    You know, I didn't try it but I noticed the options were not grayed out when talking to a T-Mobile customer on an iPhone. Not sure why but I think it was an iPhone 4 so can't imagine it has volte.
    No, only the iPhone 6/6+. Yeah, I actually *did* try once, don't remember who I was talking to, and a message popped up saying "Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?!?" - paraphrasing here.
    12-15-2014 04:40 PM
    Anybody notice a reduction in the "hiss" the last day or so? It was pretty significant for me right after the update but it is clear as a bell now.
    12-16-2014 04:18 AM
    Anybody notice a reduction in the "hiss" the last day or so? It was pretty significant for me right after the update but it is clear as a bell now.
    I'll have to check it out. I still have mine turned off because it reduced the hiss. But perhaps if the sound has gone back to normal I'll keep it on. Thanks for the update!
    12-16-2014 05:53 PM
436 ... 15161718