12-19-2014 12:51 PM
436 1234 ...
tools
    Verizon is going to be offering VoLTE in due time. That's why.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    10-30-2014 08:29 PM
    How many threads do we need about the same thing?
    10-30-2014 08:30 PM
    The verizon tech I was speaking with tonight said it was a software issue on Moto's end, that they could enable LTE Data + CDMA voice at the same time if they wanted to. How true that is I have no idea.
    It was my impression that it was more a hardware issue. The phone is built with one radio/antenna system allowing access to either CDMA (voice) or one of the data bands. When VoLTE is made available, the phone can use the 4GLTE bands for voice and data. Very basic statement of the issue. Going forward after Advanced Calling is available at least when you are in a 4GLTE area you will be able to do voice+data.

If voice+data is vital to you, this phone might not be a good choice.. This seems to be the direction Verizon is moving.

FYI: I don't understand the technical reasons but for some reason this is not a issue on the GSM based networks; just CDMA based networks.

I expect we will be hearing a lot more about this advanced technology as more people become aware of the situation.
    HES likes this.
    10-30-2014 08:30 PM
    Yep...exactly....this certainly seems like a major step backwards. Even after the VoLTE update, my understanding is you will only get voice & data if you are in a 4g area. I live in Los Angeles and there are lots of areas where I don't get 4g. I can only imagine if you live in a rural area.
    10-30-2014 08:35 PM
    Unfortunately, this is what we will be dealing with on most phones in the future. The issue will be resolved shortly when VoLTE is enabled on the device but even that has its short comings. You must be on LTE to use both but if you drop from LTE to 3G you'll drop the call. With Verizon its not a huge issue for most of us though.

I do want talk+data back though. I'll enable Advanced Calling when its available but I knew this all before buying the phone.

Volte will be a problem for Verizon, there are plenty of holes in Verizon 4g network.
    10-30-2014 08:37 PM
    Sorry, just wanted the short versio,n and didn't know why my older phone could do something that my newer phone can't. I'll go back and search.
    10-30-2014 08:37 PM
    Volte will be a problem for Verizon, there are plenty of holes in Verizon 4g network.
    Oh I know.

10-30-2014 08:44 PM
    I just learned about the Volte issue a few days ago as well. It's pretty bizarre that Verizon's flagship phones can't do voice and data simultaneously.
    10-30-2014 09:09 PM
    This really is a joke.
    You show maps covered in red that is your network.
    Much of that is still 3g.
    How about driving hardware that matches your coverage area, especially when it's your claim to fame?

Quote from one of the linked articles:
    Over time, the carrier will fill in its 3G-only areas with LTE coverage until the last 3G cells are turned off, but that won’t be until at least 2020, the company says.

6+ years of mixed networks. You're so proud of your network, how about making a flagship phone that can traverse that network without failed calls or dropping data?
    10-30-2014 09:11 PM
    Evidently the Turbo is more useful while falling from a building then while driving across town.
    HES, Eli_C and Clocks like this.
    10-30-2014 09:14 PM
    Yep, unfortunately--and I can't believe I am saying this--but this is a deal-breaker for me too. I'm cancelling my order tomorrow. I run a business and the entire reason I pay for Verizon's service is their bulletproof network, where I can depend on my hotspot while I'm on my phone and everywhere else. This phone is absolutely handicapped in the most ridiculous way without the ability to take advantage of that in every market, whether LTE or not.

It's off my list as it is a hardware limitation... Can't believe I didn't see this previously. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    linebusy and HES like this.
    10-30-2014 09:23 PM
    Yep...exactly....this certainly seems like a major step backwards. Even after the VoLTE update, my understanding is you will only get voice & data if you are in a 4g area. I live in Los Angeles and there are lots of areas where I don't get 4g. I can only imagine if you live in a rural area.
    But that's the case now; I can only do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data in a 4G LTE area. In other words, before 4G LTE the CDMA carriers couldn't do voice and data at the same time (when you made a call your data would drop). GSM has always been capable of simultaneous voice and data as I understand it.

So from this standpoint the switch to VoLTE won't be that much different. I DO have a mental block against paying a pretty sum (via my UDP) to beta test VZW's no doubt buggy new voice network. Be careful whenever new technology is marketed with the version number in the name; you know it's going to be a rough road (1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.1.1, 1.3, etc.) until we get to the relatively stable Advanced Calling 2.0. I really want the Turbo, but I'm seriously considering the G3 over this: CDMA/LTE functionality like it is now and compatible with VoLTE when it's more mature. That might sway me.
    10-30-2014 11:02 PM
    But that's the case now; I can only do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data in a 4G LTE area. In other words, before 4G LTE the CDMA carriers couldn't do voice and data at the same time (when you made a call your data would drop). GSM has always been capable of simultaneous voice and data as I understand it.

So from this standpoint the switch to VoLTE won't be that much different. I DO have a mental block against paying a pretty sum (via my UDP) to beta test VZW's no doubt buggy new voice network. Be careful whenever new technology is marketed with the version number in the name; you know it's going to be a rough road (1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.1.1, 1.3, etc.) until we get to the relatively stable Advanced Calling 2.0. I really want the Turbo, but I'm seriously considering the G3 over this: CDMA/LTE functionality like it is now and compatible with VoLTE when it's more mature. That might sway me.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference is this: if I'm on a voice call currently on my S4 and looking something up using 4G LTE, and I drop to 3G, my data hangs but my phone call keeps going. In that scenario, if I'm on VoLTE, I drop the call entirely. Pretty big difference, OK IMHO.
    I'm majorly bummed because I saw the Turbo today and planned on buying it tomorrow, but I use data while on voice calls frequently enough I think this is a deal breaker.
    The question is whether the S6 in the spring, for instance, will follow this path?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    10-30-2014 11:19 PM

So what happens if you are on VoLTE and you lose your 4g connection? Does the call drop? And/or do you lose your data connection? My understanding is the older phones had separate radios that could fall back, so even in 3g area, the data connection could fall back to 1x. But at least it would still work. But I am by no means very knowledgeable about any of this so maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    10-30-2014 11:40 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference is this: if I'm on a voice call currently on my S4 and looking something up using 4G LTE, and I drop to 3G, my data hangs but my phone call keeps going. In that scenario, if I'm on VoLTE, I drop the call entirely. Pretty big difference, OK IMHO.
    I'm majorly bummed because I saw the Turbo today and planned on buying it tomorrow, but I use data while on voice calls frequently enough I think this is a deal breaker.
    The question is whether the S6 in the spring, for instance, will follow this path?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    That's my understanding as well (and I'm in L.A.). My Charge flips between 3G and 4G all the time, even when I'm stationary, but I attribute that to the 3 year-old first generation LTE radio in the Charge. Still, my work takes me all up and down the 101 freeway corridor from Santa Barbara to L.A., and dropped calls are unacceptable (they rarely happen for me with CDMA). If I get the Turbo, I suspect I'll disable Advanced Calling on the road (where I personally have little need for simultaneous voice and data) and enable it when I'm stationary (because I'll be surfing, tethering, or streaming media while receiving voice calls). I do currently stream Pandora in my car; now if I take a voice call I'd stop the music anyway, and if I let the call roll to voicemail the buffer will keep the music playing while the data cuts out temporarily... maybe. The questions is: Why deal with this? Are the hardware benefits of the Turbo over, say, the G3 worth having to deal with this issue?

I get it; everyone texts now and nobody talks on their phones anymore, but I'm not one of them. I'd have to hope that the Turbo's 4G LTE reception will be rock solid throughout L.A. and that VoLTE is bug free out of the gate. Not sure if I want to take that chance. I'm guessing I'll try the Turbo after VoLTE rolls out and go to the G3 if it doesn't work out. Too bad Motorola didn't just put two antennas or whatever in the Turbo to enable the current CDMA voice/LTE data functionality; I figured it was probably too good to be true.
    10-30-2014 11:51 PM
    So what happens if you are on VoLTE and you lose your 4g connection? Does the call drop? And/or do you lose your data connection? My understanding is the older phones had separate radios that could fall back, so even in 3g area, the data connection could fall back to 1x. But at least it would still work. But I am by no means very knowledgeable about any of this so maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    Unfortunately the call would drop.

10-30-2014 11:57 PM
    Bottom line people - it is a HARDWARE issue. The phone does not have the necessary HARDWARE radios to have simultaneous voice and data. This is why we (actually, you) are waiting on a SOFTWARE FIX which enables Advanced Calling/VOLTE/whatever they're calling it.

Want TRUE simultaneous voice/data with a big battery? Buy the 2013 Droid Maxx. Still using mine, because just like OP, I often use Maps and look at docs while on bluetooth - and WiFi isn't often available.

No idea what Moto was thinking. I'm their #1 fan. I'd have traded the 64 gig model for simultaneous voice/data in the traditional sense any day.

This sucks! I wanted to upgrade, but i won't pay full retail to lose functionality (UDP)
    perkdog65 likes this.
    10-31-2014 02:56 AM
    Ultimately there are really two issues here. One being the phone only has a single antenna for voice/data and the second being the lack of VoLTE support at launch. I have much less issue with the first but to me the second is inexcusable and one of the reasons I have held back on getting the new Moto X or Droid Turbo.

In regards to the first issue I imagine this will be the new norm. Phone manufactures other than Apple don't make money, even Samsung is struggling to turn a profit now. This is due mostly in part to smaller profit margins. GSM phones have never required a second antenna to achieve simultaneous voice and data so the fact manufactures have spent the time and money to add a second antenna simply so that the few CDMA carriers in the world could achieve this has been a nice luxury. Even Apple never included this second antenna as they never saw the value in adding a second antenna to basically accommodate only Verizon and Sprint. With VoLTE here I can understand why phone manufactures will go the route of saving $2-3 to not include the second antenna anymore and I expect to see the M9 and S6 be the same way next year.

At the end of the day though it was on Motorola to make sure VoLTE was working on release since they chose to only include the single antenna. I don't blame them for the hardware decision but I do blame them for not having the software ready. I can give them a bit of a pass on the Moto X since it launched as a global phone but it should have been ready for the Droid Turbo given it launches as a Verizon exclusive over a month later.
    10-31-2014 06:19 AM
    Total deal breaker for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2014 07:21 AM
    The Turbo and the iPhones are the only devices on VZW that you cant use data and call at the same time. The iPhone 6 is the only one at the moment with VoLTE.

Posted via the Android Central App
    2014 Moto X is the same. Waiting on a software update to enable voice/data at same time.

The Galaxy S5, iPhone 6 and LG G2 have this capability right now.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2014 07:30 AM
    So my question is does the note 4 have this capability? As much as I want this phone, I'm going to have to return this and either get my MAXX back or switch to the S5 or Note 4.

Oh for those of you who already got the Turbo and turned their old phone in on the edge program, you can return the Turbo to the store as a Dead on Arrival (DOA) device and get your old phone back. The store has to hold on to your old phone for 15 days, which is the refund period.
    10-31-2014 08:17 AM
    So my question is does the note 4 have this capability? As much as I want this phone, I'm going to have to return this and either get my MAXX back or switch to the S5 or Note 4.

Oh for those of you who already got the Turbo and turned their old phone in on the edge program, you can return the Turbo to the store as a Dead on Arrival (DOA) device and get your old phone back. The store has to hold on to your old phone for 15 days, which is the refund period.
    If your asking if the note 4 can do voice and data at the same time, the answer is yes on 4g, like all the others, if you are on 3g then no.
    10-31-2014 08:26 AM
    Sorry, just wanted the short versio,n and didn't know why my older phone could do something that my newer phone can't. I'll go back and search.

By the end of the year Verizon has said.
    10-31-2014 09:06 AM
    Short version is that with launch of VoLTE most new phones are going to only include a single antenna for voice and data to cut costs. GSM carriers have never needed a second one so you are going to see more and more phones drop this extra antenna since VoLTE will make it mostly unnecessary on CDMA carriers. It's a shame Motorola couldn't get the VoLTE software taken care of prior to launch like Apple did with the iPhone 6.
    User Unknown2 likes this.
    10-31-2014 09:28 AM
    It was a Verizon mandate. They don't want new phones with hardware for CDMA simultaneous voice/data competing with their soon to be released LTE simultaneous voice/data which will be much faster and clearer. They estimate VOLTE will roll out for these new phones within 90 days and they are naming it Advanced Calling 1.0.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 09:54 AM
436 1234 ...