Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a big problem. As soon as I dial a number and the call initiates 4G data drops. This means that I can't use the phone and look at anything like my mail or maps or Facebook, Twitter, etc..

So I called tech support. Turns out that I'm not the first person to call in with this problem and to be honest I'm not confident in their ability to fix this. So possibly a bad batch of phones made it to the stores? Wouldn't be the first time.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Dropping data when on a call

The Turbo (like the 2014 moto x) will require Advanced Calling 1.0 (VoLTE) in order to have voice and data.

Verizon said there will be an update in the next 30-60 days enabling this feature. You will then need to enable the feature on the verizon website (or call customer service) and on your phone.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

A workaround until we get VOLTE is to use WiFi simultaneously while calling, that works fine.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!! What in God's name is Verizon thinking?

Without the ability to use data and voice at the same time this phone is completely useless to me both personally and as a business tool. For instance using Google Maps or Waze while on my Bluetooth is now impossible? How about when I am on a call with a client and need to look at a document that they just emailed?

Again, what in the world are they thinking? We've had simultaneous data and voice for how many years now? And none of the glowing reviews for this phone pointed this out why?

And during my search I just saw this article, published today, stating this

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Without the ability to use data and voice at the same time this phone is completely useless to me both personally and as a business tool. For instance using Google Maps or Waze while on my Bluetooth is now impossible? How about when I am on a call with a client and need to look at a document that they just emailed?

Again, what in the world are they thinking? We've had simultaneous data and voice for how many years now? And none of the glowing reviews for this phone pointed this out why?

There's other phones that don't have simultaneous voice and data either its not a new thing. They were probably thinking not everyone needs it and it's not a big deal.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I agree that forcing this before VoLTE is ready is dumb. Even worse when you consider once you enable VoLTE if you start a call in a 4G area and move into a 3G area your call will drop! I wont be able to drive across grand rapids while on a VoLTE call. It will drop 2-3 times including (often) when pulling into my driveway.

My solution will be to keep VoLTE off unless I need it for tethering (which I only do while stationary).

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately, this is what we will be dealing with on most phones in the future. The issue will be resolved shortly when VoLTE is enabled on the device but even that has its short comings. You must be on LTE to use both but if you drop from LTE to 3G you'll drop the call. With Verizon its not a huge issue for most of us though.

I do want talk+data back though. I'll enable Advanced Calling when its available but I knew this all before buying the phone.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

There's other phones that don't have simultaneous voice and data either its not a new thing. They were probably thinking not everyone needs it and it's not a big deal.
Like what? Say since being introduced in 2011? HTC Rezound had it. Droid Razr and family had it. Samsung phones have had it. It's been a feature since LTE was introduced. At least the Rezound had dual antennas to enable you to do this even on 3G.

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Verizon doesn't have voice and data. It's always been like this. I hear att do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Verizon doesn't have voice and data. It's always been like this. I hear att do though.

All phones (in recent years) *except* iphones, the 2014 motox, and the droid turbo have voice+data

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

And now Verizon is saying that the VoLTE issue is theirs. However they are shifting the blame, saying that the regular voice and data issue is all on Motorola

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

All phones (in recent years) *except* iphones, the 2014 motox, and the droid turbo have voice+data

Maybe that's what I'm thinking. I've only ever had an iphone(which is changing tomorrow for the turbo). I also don't need my phone for data purposes when on a call with someone so it doesn't affect me in anyway.

Fred_Garvin

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

I gotta agree with OP; this is at least a temporary showstopper for me, and I was VERY excited about ditching my antique Droid Charge (which can do CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously, and I rely on this capability CONSTANTLY). And while it sounds like the VoLTE update will solve the problem, I can't invest in this phone on the promise of a future update "before the end of the year".

Like the OP, I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned more in the run up to this device. Just to wrap my head around it, what's the technical reason for no simultaneous CDMA and LTE? Is this unique to Motorola? Are the Verizon Samsungs (G5, Note 4, etc.) similarly affected?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I gotta agree with OP; this is at least a temporary showstopper for me, and I was VERY excited about ditching my antique Droid Charge (which can do CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously, and I rely on this capability CONSTANTLY). And while it sounds like the VoLTE update will solve the problem, I can't invest in this phone on the promise of a future update "before the end of the year".

Like the OP, I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned more in the run up to this device. Just to wrap my head around it, what's the technical reason for no simultaneous CDMA and LTE? Is this unique to Motorola? Are the Verizon Samsungs (G5, Note 4, etc.) similarly affected?
VoLTE will be here soon. Samsung S5 got the update weeks ago that enables it so its not far out.

Statastic

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

The Turbo and the iPhones are the only devices on VZW that you cant use data and call at the same time. The iPhone 6 is the only one at the moment with VoLTE.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The Turbo and the iPhones are the only devices on VZW that you cant use data and call at the same time. The iPhone 6 is the only one at the moment with VoLTE.

MotoX(2014).

Like it or not this is going to happen more often. We should see the update soon hopefully.