Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

Fred_Garvin

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Dropping data when on a call

MotoX(2014).

Like it or not this is going to happen more often. We should see the update soon hopefully.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Oh I get it; thanks for the info. So it's just that the phone is designed for the all-LTE future; no problem. Makes me feel good about the Turbo really. I just can't do without simultaneous voice and data until the VoLTE update rolls out. So it looks like I have to live with the Charge a little longer... =(

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Oh I get it; thanks for the info. So it's just that the phone is designed for the all-LTE future; no problem. Makes me feel good about the Turbo really. I just can't do without simultaneous voice and data until the VoLTE update rolls out. So it looks like I have to live with the Charge a little longer... =(
Exactly, hopefully the update can make you comfortable going forward. I understand you need both now so this isn't the best option as of now.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

I gotta agree with OP; this is at least a temporary showstopper for me, and I was VERY excited about ditching my antique Droid Charge (which can do CDMA voice and LTE data simultaneously, and I rely on this capability CONSTANTLY). And while it sounds like the VoLTE update will solve the problem, I can't invest in this phone on the promise of a future update "before the end of the year".

Like the OP, I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned more in the run up to this device. Just to wrap my head around it, what's the technical reason for no simultaneous CDMA and LTE? Is this unique to Motorola? Are the Verizon Samsungs (G5, Note 4, etc.) similarly affected?

The verizon tech I was speaking with tonight said it was a software issue on Moto's end, that they could enable LTE Data + CDMA voice at the same time if they wanted to. How true that is I have no idea.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

The verizon tech I was speaking with tonight said it was a software issue on Moto's end, that they could enable LTE Data + CDMA voice at the same time if they wanted to. How true that is I have no idea.
The user manual leaked online mentions that an update will be needed. I don't think this is Motorola's fault but rather Verizon for wanting the feature to promote LTE technology. Too much finger pointing

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo No voice and data at the same time?

I know this has been addressed. Tell me again, short version, why my 1 year old Maxx can do voice and 4g data at eh same time but not my new Turbo?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: No voice and data at the same time?

Verizon is going to be offering VoLTE in due time. That's why.

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

It was my impression that it was more a hardware issue. The phone is built with one radio/antenna system allowing access to either CDMA (voice) or one of the data bands. When VoLTE is made available, the phone can use the 4GLTE bands for voice and data. Very basic statement of the issue. Going forward after Advanced Calling is available at least when you are in a 4GLTE area you will be able to do voice+data.

If voice+data is vital to you, this phone might not be a good choice.. This seems to be the direction Verizon is moving.

FYI: I don't understand the technical reasons but for some reason this is not a issue on the GSM based networks; just CDMA based networks.

I expect we will be hearing a lot more about this advanced technology as more people become aware of the situation.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Yep...exactly....this certainly seems like a major step backwards. Even after the VoLTE update, my understanding is you will only get voice & data if you are in a 4g area. I live in Los Angeles and there are lots of areas where I don't get 4g. I can only imagine if you live in a rural area.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, this is what we will be dealing with on most phones in the future. The issue will be resolved shortly when VoLTE is enabled on the device but even that has its short comings. You must be on LTE to use both but if you drop from LTE to 3G you'll drop the call. With Verizon its not a huge issue for most of us though.

I do want talk+data back though. I'll enable Advanced Calling when its available but I knew this all before buying the phone.

Volte will be a problem for Verizon, there are plenty of holes in Verizon 4g network.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Re: No voice and data at the same time?

Sorry, just wanted the short versio,n and didn't know why my older phone could do something that my newer phone can't. I'll go back and search.

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

I just learned about the Volte issue a few days ago as well. It's pretty bizarre that Verizon's flagship phones can't do voice and data simultaneously.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

This really is a joke.
You show maps covered in red that is your network.
Much of that is still 3g.
How about driving hardware that matches your coverage area, especially when it's your claim to fame?

Quote from one of the linked articles:
Over time, the carrier will fill in its 3G-only areas with LTE coverage until the last 3G cells are turned off, but that won’t be until at least 2020, the company says.

6+ years of mixed networks. You're so proud of your network, how about making a flagship phone that can traverse that network without failed calls or dropping data?

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Evidently the Turbo is more useful while falling from a building then while driving across town.

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

Yep, unfortunately--and I can't believe I am saying this--but this is a deal-breaker for me too. I'm cancelling my order tomorrow. I run a business and the entire reason I pay for Verizon's service is their bulletproof network, where I can depend on my hotspot while I'm on my phone and everywhere else. This phone is absolutely handicapped in the most ridiculous way without the ability to take advantage of that in every market, whether LTE or not.

It's off my list as it is a hardware limitation... Can't believe I didn't see this previously. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Fred_Garvin

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Yep...exactly....this certainly seems like a major step backwards. Even after the VoLTE update, my understanding is you will only get voice & data if you are in a 4g area. I live in Los Angeles and there are lots of areas where I don't get 4g. I can only imagine if you live in a rural area.

But that's the case now; I can only do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data in a 4G LTE area. In other words, before 4G LTE the CDMA carriers couldn't do voice and data at the same time (when you made a call your data would drop). GSM has always been capable of simultaneous voice and data as I understand it.

So from this standpoint the switch to VoLTE won't be that much different. I DO have a mental block against paying a pretty sum (via my UDP) to beta test VZW's no doubt buggy new voice network. Be careful whenever new technology is marketed with the version number in the name; you know it's going to be a rough road (1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.1.1, 1.3, etc.) until we get to the relatively stable Advanced Calling 2.0. I really want the Turbo, but I'm seriously considering the G3 over this: CDMA/LTE functionality like it is now and compatible with VoLTE when it's more mature. That might sway me.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

But that's the case now; I can only do simultaneous CDMA voice and LTE data in a 4G LTE area. In other words, before 4G LTE the CDMA carriers couldn't do voice and data at the same time (when you made a call your data would drop). GSM has always been capable of simultaneous voice and data as I understand it.

So from this standpoint the switch to VoLTE won't be that much different. I DO have a mental block against paying a pretty sum (via my UDP) to beta test VZW's no doubt buggy new voice network. Be careful whenever new technology is marketed with the version number in the name; you know it's going to be a rough road (1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.1.1, 1.3, etc.) until we get to the relatively stable Advanced Calling 2.0. I really want the Turbo, but I'm seriously considering the G3 over this: CDMA/LTE functionality like it is now and compatible with VoLTE when it's more mature. That might sway me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference is this: if I'm on a voice call currently on my S4 and looking something up using 4G LTE, and I drop to 3G, my data hangs but my phone call keeps going. In that scenario, if I'm on VoLTE, I drop the call entirely. Pretty big difference, OK IMHO.
I'm majorly bummed because I saw the Turbo today and planned on buying it tomorrow, but I use data while on voice calls frequently enough I think this is a deal breaker.
The question is whether the S6 in the spring, for instance, will follow this path?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

So what happens if you are on VoLTE and you lose your 4g connection? Does the call drop? And/or do you lose your data connection? My understanding is the older phones had separate radios that could fall back, so even in 3g area, the data connection could fall back to 1x. But at least it would still work. But I am by no means very knowledgeable about any of this so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Fred_Garvin

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the big difference is this: if I'm on a voice call currently on my S4 and looking something up using 4G LTE, and I drop to 3G, my data hangs but my phone call keeps going. In that scenario, if I'm on VoLTE, I drop the call entirely. Pretty big difference, OK IMHO.
I'm majorly bummed because I saw the Turbo today and planned on buying it tomorrow, but I use data while on voice calls frequently enough I think this is a deal breaker.
The question is whether the S6 in the spring, for instance, will follow this path?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's my understanding as well (and I'm in L.A.). My Charge flips between 3G and 4G all the time, even when I'm stationary, but I attribute that to the 3 year-old first generation LTE radio in the Charge. Still, my work takes me all up and down the 101 freeway corridor from Santa Barbara to L.A., and dropped calls are unacceptable (they rarely happen for me with CDMA). If I get the Turbo, I suspect I'll disable Advanced Calling on the road (where I personally have little need for simultaneous voice and data) and enable it when I'm stationary (because I'll be surfing, tethering, or streaming media while receiving voice calls). I do currently stream Pandora in my car; now if I take a voice call I'd stop the music anyway, and if I let the call roll to voicemail the buffer will keep the music playing while the data cuts out temporarily... maybe. The questions is: Why deal with this? Are the hardware benefits of the Turbo over, say, the G3 worth having to deal with this issue?

I get it; everyone texts now and nobody talks on their phones anymore, but I'm not one of them. I'd have to hope that the Turbo's 4G LTE reception will be rock solid throughout L.A. and that VoLTE is bug free out of the gate. Not sure if I want to take that chance. I'm guessing I'll try the Turbo after VoLTE rolls out and go to the G3 if it doesn't work out. Too bad Motorola didn't just put two antennas or whatever in the Turbo to enable the current CDMA voice/LTE data functionality; I figured it was probably too good to be true.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2