Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X does it too. Its a limitation of how they setup the hardware to work with XLTE in the future. I agree they should have had it fixed by now, but a month won't kill me. I can read road signs ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: If I'm On A Phone Call Can I Use The Internet At The Same Time?

I never, ever look up stuff on the internet when I'm on a call. About the only thing that would be an issue would be navigating while I'm on a call in the car, but I always keep those very brief anyway. I get why it's an issue for some, but it's not for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The Moto X does it too. Its a limitation of how they setup the hardware to work with XLTE in the future. I agree they should have had it fixed by now, but a month won't kill me. I can read road signs ;)

Just be aware that this only works on VoLTE calls. So, if you call or get a call with somebody who doesn't use Advanced Calling on Verizon, it will be a CDMA call and you still won't get voice and data.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Just be aware that this only works on VoLTE calls. So, if you call or get a call with somebody who doesn't use Advanced Calling on Verizon, it will be a CDMA call and you still won't get voice and data.

That's just for HD Voice, not VoLTE (Advanced Calling). On the iPhone 6 for instance you can indeed make a call on VoLTE to any number and still use data, I've seen it myself. For some reason that is not the case on the S5 though when VoLTE is enabled. I am guessing on single antenna phones like the iPhone 6, Moto X, Droid Turbo, etc.. the software allows for a non HD Voice call to be placed when using VoLTE and calling a non VoLTE device.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Had to Return the Turbo

I have little doubt that single antenna phones like the Droid Turbo and new Moto X are going to be the new norm on Verizon. CDMA carriers were the only ones that ever required two antennas to use voice and data at the same time and with VoLTE becoming more and more prevalent there is little reason for manufactures to continue to spend the extra $2-3 making dual antenna phones basically for Verizon and Sprint only.

What is more upsetting is having phones released without the proper software for VoLTE. I don't fault Motorola for using a single antenna design as they couldn't have known VoLTE was going to basically be delayed 9 months by Verizon but there is no excuse for VoLTE to support to not be ready at launch, especially on the Droid Turbo. Maybe the delay of VoLTE service forced them to have change something in the software. Either way Verizon better get Motorola to fix this fast as I know in my case I won't get a new phone that can't in some way support voice and data at the same time.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why this is such an issue. A fix is coming and if you can't live without the feature for a month or so, then don't get the Turbo. I personally think it's worth the wait. The way people are responding about this you'd think they can't function without it.

And if you can't, simply pass the Turbo and deal with what you have or go with another device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

That's just for HD Voice, not VoLTE (Advanced Calling). On the iPhone 6 for instance you can indeed make a call on VoLTE to any number and still use data, I've seen it myself. For some reason that is not the case on the S5 though when VoLTE is enabled. I am guessing on single antenna phones like the iPhone 6, Moto X, Droid Turbo, etc.. the software allows for a non HD Voice call to be placed when using VoLTE and calling a non VoLTE device.

OK, thanks for the correction. It's not much of an issue for me because lte is too hit or miss where I live, so many of my calls would either be cdma to begin with or would drop when I drove from lte to a spot without it, so I'm not even going to bother adding advanced calling anyway.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Deal breaker til fixed

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed. I can only guess that Verizon's delay of launching VoLTE from Q4 2013 to Q3 2014 delayed Motorola in getting the final software ready for their 2014 model phones. Either way I am pretty sure Verizon is going to put the pressure on Motorola to get this update out as soon as possible to avoid a lot of returns.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is now the fourth thread about this issue.

Seriously, I never knew so many people were gonna freak out about an improvement in technology... Albeit a slightly delayed implementation.

I wonder what the AOL forums looked like back in the days when home ISDN first rolled out. LOL

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Seriously, I never knew so many people were gonna freak out about an improvement in technology... Albeit a slightly delayed implementation.

I wonder what the AOL forums looked like back in the days when home ISDN first rolled out. LOL

Not like this!

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

I don't know why this is such an issue. A fix is coming and if you can't live without the feature for a month or so, then don't get the Turbo. I personally think it's worth the wait. The way people are responding about this you'd think they can't function without it.

And if you can't, simply pass the Turbo and deal with what you have or go with another device.

Just remember even after the fix unless you are in and remain in a 4GLTE network area, you will still NOT be able to do voice+data. And if you start a VoLTE call in a 4G area and leave the area, the call will drop. The fix coming will not restore exactly the type of voice+data service you had in the past on Verizon's networks.

FYI: Yesterday I was sitting in my car (stopped) on the south side of Indianapolis (a 4G area according to Verizon) looking up data, the service indicator was changing between 4G and 3G. If the flipping back and forth was true, I would have been dropping any VoLTE calls. If voice+data was critical to me, I would be looking at a different phone. :-!

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Good point BB. There will be an adjustment period until the coverage of LTE catches up to CDMA... Many dropped calls for rural folks until then.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Not all Samsungs do I had the note 4 and it couldn't do it. Only phones on Verizon to do it right now is the galaxy s5 lg g2 and the iPhone 6.

I think there are more phones than that that can do it. Pretty sure my 1st gen Moto X did it.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I think there are more phones than that that can do it. Pretty sure my 1st gen Moto X did it.

Only the most recent phones can't do it. This is mandated by VZW so they aren't conflicting with the new VOLTE standard that VZW was late in rolling out.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Not all Samsungs do I had the note 4 and it couldn't do it. Only phones on Verizon to do it right now is the galaxy s5 lg g2 and the iPhone 6.

The S5, G2, and iPhone 6 have VoLTE already. The OG X had dual radios which allowed to do it. The Turbo and '14 X is waiting for software update for the VoLTE, the hardware is ready for it. However, they are lacking the radio setup the OG X had.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

It's amazing that Verizon survived so long when you couldn't do voice and data until they added LTE in 2011.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The ability to do voice and data simultaneously isn't the criteria for a smartphone. A nice feature yes. Everyone seems to forget that before LTE, Verizon smart phones couldn't do voice and data at the same time. AT&T had a heyday raking Verizon over the coals because of it. But then LTE came and we got the feature. But now the newer phones and most phones that get upgraded to advanced calling can't do it any longer unless they're in a strong 4G area.

I believe the reason Verizon went to a single antenna design is because if you'll remember when they were first testing VoLTE the battery life was worse than standard LTE phones, which was also worse than CDMA only phones (remember the Thunderbolt). The less components running, the less battery drain their is. The early LTE phones had their processors and radios separate. Then the next gen had them on the same chip. Now they dropped from two antennas to one. I'm guessing if they had stayed with the 2 antenna setup with VoLTE the battery life would've been much worse. Just a theory I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463