Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

I see the Advanced Calling 1.0 listed, but not sure whether I can do anything else regarding it.

Right. All you can do now is add it to your account. That much is done for whenever the feature goes live.

I would think they wouldn't have activated it online if we weren't close to being able to actually use it. I saw suggestions with the update that pushed right after release of the Turbo that the functionality on the phone was there in that update.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Advanced Calling 1.0 is now an active option in Features on My Verizon. I added it to my Turbo line via the My Verizon app.

The feature doesn't work yet (no option to activate on the phone), but I'd think this means we're very close.

View attachment 152959

Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe that is a good sign!

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

This thread seems about 3 weeks early to me.

Guess I just don't have confidence in this getting out by year's end. I am generally a happy Verizon customer and have been with them since before they were called Verizon (used to be PrimeCo, then GTE in Florida before moving to Arizona). The one knock I have on VZW is the notoriously slow updates.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

3 weeks is still within the window. I wouldn't worry yet :).

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Advanced Calling 1.0 is now an active option in Features on My Verizon. I added it to my Turbo line via the My Verizon app.

The feature doesn't work yet (no option to activate on the phone), but I'd think this means we're very close.

View attachment 152959

I may be reading that wrong but the only way it will be simultaneous is if both callers are on VoLTE cell phones. So if you call someone's office it still won't do data. Am I missing something here?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I may be reading that wrong but the only way it will be simultaneous is if both callers are on VoLTE cell phones. So if you call someone's office it still won't do data. Am I missing something here?
You will be able to do VoLTE data at all times while on an LTE connection. You can only do HD Calling/Video if both people have VoLTE on Verizon.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Guess I just don't have confidence in this getting out by year's end. I am generally a happy Verizon customer and have been with them since before they were called Verizon (used to be PrimeCo, then GTE in Florida before moving to Arizona). The one knock I have on VZW is the notoriously slow updates.

I seem to post this a lot, but Verizon has been incredibly fast with updates to many Android phones in the last 12 to 18 months. The 2013 Moto X on Verizon was the first carrier-specific phone to get a KitKat update last year, and received KK faster than some Nexus devices, and the same thing happened with the 2014 Moto X this year (some Google Play editions received Lollipop after the Moto X did.) Last year's Droids were only beat to KK by the Moto X and the Nexus and GPE devices. Updates to other brand phones seem pretty good as well.

T-Mobile customers, because they are using unlocked GSM phones, will probably always get updates faster, but Verizon seems to be beating AT&T and Sprint to updates with almost every Android phone these days.

I'd start getting pissed about VoLTE if an update doesn't come before Dec 31, especially if a delay isn't pre-announced.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I had the feature on My Droid MAXX and hope the Turbo gets it soon. I wonder when they are going to pull the trigger on the update? Maybe waiting for 5.0 so they wont have to spread it out over 2 OS's?

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I think we'll get lollipop and volte in the same update. Magic 8 Ball says it will "definitely" happen around the 16th.

Posted via the Android Central App

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I seem to post this a lot, but Verizon has been incredibly fast with updates to many Android phones in the last 12 to 18 months. The 2013 Moto X on Verizon was the first carrier-specific phone to get a KitKat update last year, and received KK faster than some Nexus devices, and the same thing happened with the 2014 Moto X this year (some Google Play editions received Lollipop after the Moto X did.) Last year's Droids were only beat to KK by the Moto X and the Nexus and GPE devices. Updates to other brand phones seem pretty good as well.

T-Mobile customers, because they are using unlocked GSM phones, will probably always get updates faster, but Verizon seems to be beating AT&T and Sprint to updates with almost every Android phone these days.

I'd start getting pissed about VoLTE if an update doesn't come before Dec 31, especially if a delay isn't pre-announced.

I only had Samsung devices before this so maybe they contributed to what I felt were slow updates.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I agree that we will most likely see 5.0 and VoLTE in the same update. Patience guys. The important thing is that Lollipop comes to us fully baked and bug free.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

I understand that the call doesn't use data but the video does. How much?

Posted from my VZW LG G3

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Huge gap in VoLTE functionality, or am I missing something? Want a turbo but....

VoLTE sounds a lot like WiFi calling over BBM. Very noticeable difference in quality, and a video chat option. But only with other BBM users who are on WiFi...

Posted via the Android Central App

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I'm having my doubts about a timely Lollipop update, especially with the known rollout issues. I'm guessing that VoLTE comes in a couple of weeks and Lollipop in January, hopefully 5.0.1. Though at this point, it wouldn't even surprise me if both got delayed until Jan.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm having my doubts about a timely Lollipop update, especially with the known rollout issues. I'm guessing that VoLTE comes in a couple of weeks and Lollipop in January, hopefully 5.0.1. Though at this point, it wouldn't even surprise me if both got delayed until Jan.

Maybe, but I just don't see them activating the Advanced Calling 1.0 option in My Verizon if they weren't ready to roll out VoLTE shortly.

I've also been of the mind that they would roll out VoLTE and Lollipop for the Turbo at the same time. That's mainly based on the supposed timing of each update. If you can, why do two rollouts if you can do one? Not even an educated guess, just a guess.

Either way, I would bet VoLTE is imminent.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I think we'll get lollipop and volte in the same update. Magic 8 Ball says it will "definitely" happen around the 16th.

I hope y'all get it with Lollipop. Us Moto X 2014 users got Lollipop without the VoLTE update... :(

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I was just on the phone with tech support for a battery issue and thought I'd ask if she knew anything about it. Didn't really expect she'd know and sure enough she said they didn't have any info on it.