Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data Has Arrived!

The last soak test for the Maxx was to give it the ability to use VoLTE. The soak test was to update the OS to. 23.3.24

JMHO

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site

This soak is from Motorola & IMO, it's pretty doubtful it would be for VOLTE alone. I've no doubt it's 5.0 either with or without VOLTE included. I've not seen a soak test for other than an OS upgrade.

I agree with this . When I got the update for VoLTE on the S5 ,Verizon and Samsung didn't do a soak test for it . It just showed up .

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Last year's Droids also had a soak test in May to test a minor radio update to fix a roaming problem. The phone remained on 4.4. So, verizon and Motorola have done two minor, non-update soak tests on the 2013 Droids this year.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The last soak test for the Maxx was to give it the ability to use VoLTE. The soak test was to update the OS to. 23.3.24

JMHO

And considering the issues they had after that update (I've still held off updating my Maxx) I'd imagine they'd want to try and reduce any possible bugs.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

I would be very surprised if this is Lollipop. VoLTE for sure.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone actually tried it? If still not available, this thread title should be changed.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

Did vzw actually promise an update of any kind by any date? I can't remember seeing verizon actually state that. Maybe I'm wrong...

Moto's reputation is not on the line here. Maybe with a few people here, but the general public doesn't give a rats behind about it. Again, that's us techies here thinking the rest of the world cares about this stuff as much as us. They don't.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ I don't know if truer words have ever been said - particularly annoyed when tech reviewers get caught up in criticizing phones for relatively insignificant issues and aren't thinking in terms of what's important in the overall experience for a typical user.

From OP's post, Motorola stated "by end of year". I didn't see a VZW announcement about it, but I had read on Droid Life that VZW told them Advanced Calling would be here before the end of the year.

Last edited:

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Ah, it all makes sense now. I kept hearing how Motorola had sent the Lollipop update over to VZW, who we are waiting on to roll it out for the DT. I guess a lot of us also assumed that VZW would be rolling out the VoLTE update when actually Motorola is conducting the soak test for it. So, back to tempering my Lollipop expectations, but welcoming at least the limited simultaneous voice/data with this update!

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

Nice, it is a feature I really don't care about.

Posted via the Android Central App

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Did vzw actually promise an update of any kind by any date? I can't remember seeing verizon actually state that. Maybe I'm wrong...

Moto's reputation is not on the line here. Maybe with a few people here, but the general public doesn't give a rats behind about it. Again, that's us techies here thinking the rest of the world cares about this stuff as much as us. They don't.

Yes, Verizon has promised in writing the VOLTE update by the end of the year. If you go to the Turbo web page like you are going to buy one in the "Shop" section of the VZW website, take a look at the customer reviews. There are several complaining about not being able to use data while on a call. Verizon and Motorola responded to those reviews stating it would be updated by the end of the year.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

That's valid, some people may not care, but while we're waiting for Lollipop I'd rather have some simultaneous voice/data and HD voice than not.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I gotta be honest here. I could care less about this feature. I would like to see lollipop before this. The area I travel has a few spots that switch data to 3g because 4g signal is weak. I probably wont even activate it. It is nice they are starting to roll it out though. I know they are changing some 3g signals over to 4g so maybe the signal will get better for the are I travel through.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I don't think most would disagree with you about Lollipop, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that'll happen so I'll take what I can get. 4g is covering almost the entire 3g map by now, but if not I'm sure it'll finish catching up quickly. VZW is now starting to phase out CDMA so it behooves them to complete the LTE coverage map asap.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I also received the soak test invite but since it went to my spam filter, I didn't see it until the sign-ups had closed.
Surprised no one is in here talking about it so they must all be taking the "keep this to yourself" aspect seriously.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That's valid, some people may not care, but while we're waiting for Lollipop I'd rather have some simultaneous voice/data and HD voice than not.

Agreed, just hope the update doesn't Bork the phone up.

And BTW, DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL!!! Sorry, every time I see your screen name, the skit comes to mind.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Noice, my work is done here. Though maybe I'll change my motto from now on: No Borking allowed!

In the overall scheme of things, this isn't a big update, so we should be ok... famous last words. Probably better this way, getting VoLTE separate from Lollipop. No extra variables/unknowns to confound things.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I don't think most would disagree with you about Lollipop, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that'll happen so I'll take what I can get. 4g is covering almost the entire 3g map by now, but if not I'm sure it'll finish catching up quickly. VZW is now starting to phase out CDMA so it behooves them to complete the LTE coverage map asap.

Well, I can tell you from expirence the map isn't accurate. There's about a 10 mile section that is clearly in the red but always switches to 3g. I'm not ranting about it. Just hoping they switch this 3g signal to 4g as it is near a major city.
This is why I will probably won't activate this feature because the call drops would stink. I don't really care about being able to talk and surf at the same time but dropping calls is a bigger deal. But I've also never tried VoLTE so maybe I'll really like it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer