Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: VZW Cutting It Close With Promised VOLTE

Did vzw actually promise an update of any kind by any date? I can't remember seeing verizon actually state that. Maybe I'm wrong...

Moto's reputation is not on the line here. Maybe with a few people here, but the general public doesn't give a rats behind about it. Again, that's us techies here thinking the rest of the world cares about this stuff as much as us. They don't.

^^ I don't know if truer words have ever been said - particularly annoyed when tech reviewers get caught up in criticizing phones for relatively insignificant issues and aren't thinking in terms of what's important in the overall experience for a typical user.

From OP's post, Motorola stated "by end of year". I didn't see a VZW announcement about it, but I had read on Droid Life that VZW told them Advanced Calling would be here before the end of the year.

Verizon did confirm it before years end... They confirmed it to droid life as you said. Droid life wouldn't be allowed to say that if Verizon didn't actually confirm it to them.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data Has Arrived!

Can Verizon VoLTE have HD calls with other carriers, or is it just within Verizon at the moment. I have heard that AT&T and T-Mobile supposedly rolled out their own Advanced Calling update, but it's been quiet.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Saw something a couple weeks ago that verizon and at&t entered into an agreement to communicate with HD between devices. Dont remember where I saw it.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Well, I can tell you from expirence the map isn't accurate. There's about a 10 mile section that is clearly in the red but always switches to 3g. I'm not ranting about it. Just hoping they switch this 3g signal to 4g as it is near a major city.
This is why I will probably won't activate this feature because the call drops would stink. I don't really care about being able to talk and surf at the same time but dropping calls is a bigger deal. But I've also never tried VoLTE so maybe I'll really like it.

I was going by what VZW has said. It doesn't mean their map isn't accurate, hence the "almost". I don't mean to argue, I believe you. Stay off it for now to be safe in that area. I'm just saying that it'll get covered sooner rather than later. I drive in the boonies myself and have passed through previously 4g deadspots that are no longer a problem, as of sometime earlier this year.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Oh Ive been dealing with them for 10 years I understand how their maps work. But thanks for pointing out the areas they have upgraded. Thats promising. I just dont plan to add the feature at first. Ill give it awhile and see how it works for some of my coworkers first. Honestly I dont really care about not being able to surf and talk at the same time. Maybe im doing something wrong but I dont even notice it. And Im not being an a** here but what are some situations thats its needed? If Im in the car and Im on gps and need to talk for longer than a minute I usually pull off. Thats the only time I could see using it. Or am I missing something here?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I like the simultaneous voice/data feature, but I'm not diehard about it like some people I've seen on here. But for me some examples of where it's been useful or close to necessary: hashing out something on the phone while on gps in an unfamiliar location, needing to get somewhere by a certain time; needing to reference pertinent emails or other info during a work conference call; sending a time-dependent email while in the middle of an in-depth discussion.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You can only do hd voice with other verizon advanced calling users for now. The agreement to connect with at&t users is coming later.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I like the simultaneous voice/data feature, but I'm not diehard about it like some people I've seen on here. But for me some examples of where it's been useful or close to necessary: hashing out something on the phone while on gps in an unfamiliar location, needing to get somewhere by a certain time; needing to reference pertinent emails or other info during a work conference call; sending a time-dependent email while in the middle of an in-depth discussion.

If you need to do that a lot I think you'd be better served to get a share everything plan, add a mobile hotspot to the plan for $10 a month, and connect to it via wifi while you are calling. With that then you are not limited to volte - you can access data in 3g areas as well, you won't drop calls if you are driving through areas without lte, etc.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ Yes, I think I remember reading something about within the next year, possibly by next summer, but nothing definitive.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ Good info. I don't do it a lot, but I'm sure some do. Those were just examples of times I remember where it came in quite handy.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the same boat as far as coverage. We were always on the edge of usability on their 3G network, even though we're solidly in their network on their maps, and LTE is worse. LTE doesn't travel as far as 3G does, this is per a level 2 tech at Verizon and other sources as well. My LTE signal when I get it is -120 to -130dBm, basically unusable. So while they may have all of their existing towers converted to LTE, because it doesn't travel as far, they need to increase the amount of towers to have the same coverage that they had with their 3G network.

I live on a farm and I've offered to let them put a tower on my land. I'm in the middle of three towers and we just barely get their signal from one of them. So putting a tower here would blanket the entire area, but I submitted the form 2 months ago and nothing. I imagine they'll leave the towers layout the way they are and we'll have to use LTE Network Extenders whenever they decide to offer them, just like we have to now with their 3G network. In the past I've asked them what else they could do besides using a NE, and they said my only other option was to go to another carrier and they wouldn't charge me to go. Which is funny considering I was out of contract at the time. The problem there is the only other carrier in our area is AT&T and they have worse coverage than Verizon does. So my choices are bad or worse.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Keep it positive here. Too much negativity in some threads. As promised Verizon released the update before the end of the year. I'm thankful for this update since it means a lot for me to use. If it's not important to you just move on.

Posted via the Android Central App

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Simultaneous voice and data now available! Thanks Verizon

Oops just noticed someone else shared this info first. Don't shoot. Good stuff for sure though.

Posted via the Android Central App

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Looks like Verizon is rolling out the update. Whew...just barely made it by the end of the year. I guess the OP was right be worried.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Maybe the misleading title of this thread in the Droid Turbo forum should be changed??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc