Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: List Things You've Noticed from VoLTE Update

I just turned advance calling off on the phone and rebooted. Let's see if things are different now

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I just turned advance calling off on the phone and rebooted. Let's see if things are different now
Probably not a bad idea to clean the cache and charge it up and then see. Just an opinion.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Sound quality of the earpiece isn't as good - significantly so, There is a static-y sound when the person is peaking. THere is no static when they are silent (or there is no noise coming through). Hard to explain - no one else hearing this?

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not getting the static from calls. Crystal clear.

Posted via the Android Central App

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

My phone is much cooler and the battery is draining as normal now that I turned advanced calling off

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Sound quality of the earpiece isn't as good - significantly so, There is a static-y sound when the person is peaking. THere is no static when they are silent (or there is no noise coming through). Hard to explain - no one else hearing this?

Yes, there's a bit of a crackle. I don't get it with every call though.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

From the Advanced Calling FAQ:

"Because Advanced Calling 1.0 is a first-generation service, your calling experience may differ from your current experience and may include audio issues or dropped calls. Remember, you can always manage your experience by changing your phone setting to Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Data Only at any time."

Sounds like they're doing a CYA, wonder if they knew about these audio issues on some VoLTE calls...

EDIT: To turn off Advanced Calling on the Droid Turbo, go to Settings --> Advanced Calling. This is our version of the 2nd sentence in the above blurb, being from a general FAQ that they put out probably 3+ months ago when they introduced Advanced Calling.

Last edited:

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Probably not a bad idea to clean the cache and charge it up and then see. Just an opinion.
I did, "just because". I'm showing 1 additional bar of 4G, no change in WiFi but mine was excellent before. Battery is definitely improved - I stayed @ 100% so long I thought something was wrong. I had good call volume before also but it does seem even louder - checked on a couple of calls & could hear clearly with the phone away from the ear & my hearing is far from perfect.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Not sure if this system software update caused this but when using Google Maps Navigation you cannot exit navigation from the dropdown notification bar.

I did the update on Wednesday and Thursday morning I noticed this for the first time. I used nav a lot during work.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Give it a bit and see what it does. But then re-enable Advanced Calling and see if it isn't about the same. The reboot may have actually been the fix instead.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Give it a bit and see what it does. But then re-enable Advanced Calling and see if it isn't about the same. The reboot may have actually been the fix instead.
This is actually a great idea. At least it will give you a baseline to work from.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

As a 1st gen X user, this is an excellent thing to do after any update. Clear Cache helps remove any unnecessary files left over after the update without removing or changing any personal files or settings. I've done it 3 times after each update on the moto X without experiencing problems or glitches of any kind. Link below :

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

From the Advanced Calling FAQ:

"Because Advanced Calling 1.0 is a first-generation service, your calling experience may differ from your current experience and may include audio issues or dropped calls. Remember, you can always manage your experience by changing your phone setting to Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Data Only at any time."

Sounds like they're doing a CYA, wonder if they knew about these audio issues on some VoLTE calls...

I Don't have that option in my Settings. I also could not read the FAQ on the Verizon site (Borked link). It sounds like that option would allow simultaneous voice & data without the HD calling. Would be nice because I do notice a background hiss on regular calls now with Advanced Calling enabled and I only know one other person who could also use.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Been browsing the boards since before I got my Turbo (and finally just signed up to say...I've noticed this, too). I'm not really happy with the sound quality after the update. It's got static no matter what I do with my settings (turning Volte off, turning audio effects off, ect). The phone is fantastic otherwise. But if you kill the sound quality you kill the purpose of the phone...to be a phone. I'm wondering if I should take it to a Verizon store to see if there is something they can do to fix it. It doesn't have this issue when I have it on speakerphone or when I'm listening to my music. Only when I'm on a call and have the phone to my ear. Like you mentioned...there is no static sound when the airwaves are silent...just when someone it talking. Anyone have a fix they know of for this?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I Don't have that option in my Settings. I also could not read the FAQ on the Verizon site (Borked link). It sounds like that option would allow simultaneous voice & data without the HD calling. Would be nice because I do notice a background hiss on regular calls now with Advanced Calling enabled and I only know one other person who could also use.

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out. (EDIT: I put in an edit above) On the Droid Turbo, go to "Advanced Calling" under settings to turn it off - you will still have the simultaneous voice/data functionality. That is only dependent on you being within VZW 4g range. (EDIT: WRONG, Nix these last two sentences, clearly out of it today, sorry)

Last edited:

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out. (EDIT: I put in an edit above) On the Droid Turbo, go to "Advanced Calling" under settings to turn it off - you will still have the simultaneous voice/data functionality. That is only dependent on you being within VZW 4g range.

I'm jumping in here, because I'm having some issues with the sound quality of my phone, so I'm taking your advice (thanks!). I tried turning the Advanced calling off and it took away my simultaneous voice/data functionality. I'm tempted to keep it off if it means the call quality is better.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

As a 1st gen X user, this is an excellent thing to do after any update. Clear Cache helps remove any unnecessary files left over after the update without removing or changing any personal files or settings. I've done it 3 times after each update on the moto X without experiencing problems or glitches of any kind. Link below :

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9

Good stuff. And just to emphasize to folks, clearing the cache partition in the manner above is different from simply cleaning the cache using an app, which should not be used as a substitute. I'm probably not technical enough to know all of the nuances, but anyway just use the method linked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt