Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: List Things You've Noticed from VoLTE Update

Sound quality of the earpiece isn't as good - significantly so, There is a static-y sound when the person is peaking. THere is no static when they are silent (or there is no noise coming through). Hard to explain - no one else hearing this?
I have yet to make an HD call but I get the hissing noise while on a standard call. I had this same noise on my S5 when VoLTE was activated so I would think its normal. Annoying but I'll get used to it since there's a good reason to use it.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

As a 1st gen X user, this is an excellent thing to do after any update. Clear Cache helps remove any unnecessary files left over after the update without removing or changing any personal files or settings. I've done it 3 times after each update on the moto X without experiencing problems or glitches of any kind. Link below :

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9

I have found these directions simpler for clearing the cache partition. Just don't pick the wrong option on step 7! Be patient, it can take a while.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/319af9737a

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out. (EDIT: I put in an edit above) On the Droid Turbo, go to "Advanced Calling" under settings to turn it off - you will still have the simultaneous voice/data functionality. That is only dependent on you being within VZW 4g range.

Do not believe that is correct. It will also take away simultaneous voice/data.

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Did turning Advanced Calling off help with the call sound quality? An earlier post in this thread said that turning VoLTE did not improve it for him/her

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

I'm jumping in here, because I'm having some issues with the sound quality of my phone, so I'm taking your advice (thanks!). I tried turning the Advanced calling off and it took away my simultaneous voice/data functionality. I'm tempted to keep it off if it means the call quality is better.

Sorry to hear about the static. Outside of weak-signal or tower issues, seems like it should be gone if you're not on Advanced Calling. I don't know that it's necessary normally, but in this case I'd try rebooting after turning off Advanced Calling and also wiping the cache partition (see previous posts)

Simultaneous voice/data is supposed to still work. I just tested it myself and confirmed, just in case - been less confident in some of my words lately (EDIT: And rightly so, this is WRONG. I forgot that wifi was still with my data, duh. Yup, retiring early tonight). Not sure what happened there, but maybe the wipe will help.

With new updates like this that reportedly addresses various issues across the board, we don't know the extent of software conflicts, compatibilities, etc, yet. Bugs are going to be discovered. Hopefully nothing big, and if the above doesn't help, there are many on here way more capable than me. Good luck!

Last edited:

ejtsang

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I think the orange color is supposed to indicate that you aren't connected to google servers. It changes to white once it establishes a connection.

On a somewhat related note, I think it used to say "Verizon Wireless" on the 4G LTE icon in the notification shade quick settings. Don't see that after the update. (EDIT: Nevermind, is was gone for a bit, but then automatically showed up again)

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Been browsing the boards since before I got my Turbo (and finally just signed up to say...I've noticed this, too). I'm not really happy with the sound quality after the update. It's got static no matter what I do with my settings (turning Volte off, turning audio effects off, ect). The phone is fantastic otherwise. But if you kill the sound quality you kill the purpose of the phone...to be a phone. I'm wondering if I should take it to a Verizon store to see if there is something they can do to fix it. It doesn't have this issue when I have it on speakerphone or when I'm listening to my music. Only when I'm on a call and have the phone to my ear. Like you mentioned...there is no static sound when the airwaves are silent...just when someone it talking. Anyone have a fix they know of for this?
If you figure it out, please post it here. Interesting What you said about speakerphone and also about turning off VoLTE. I was planning in turning off VoLTR tonight because I rearely need voice+data but I always need a decent phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to hear about the static. Outside of weak-signal or tower issues, seems like it should be gone if you're not on Advanced Calling. I don't know that it's necessary normally, but in this case I'd try rebooting after turning off Advanced Calling and also wiping the cache partition (see previous posts)

Simultaneous voice/data is supposed to still work. I just tested it myself and confirmed, just in case - been less confident in some of my words lately, so why not double-check, ha. Not sure what happened there, but maybe the wipe will help.

With new updates like this that reportedly addresses various issues across the board, we don't know the extent of software conflicts, compatibilities, etc, yet. Bugs are going to be discovered. Hopefully nothing big, and if the above doesn't help, there are many on here way more capable than me. Good luck!
Advanced Calling must be activated for talk+data. I just tested it myself.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Do not believe that is correct. It will also take away simultaneous voice/data.

Advanced Calling must be activated for talk+data. I just tested it myself.

(EDIT) You're both absolutely right, I somehow confounded this issue with that of needing a compatible phone on the other end for Advanced Calling and needing only to be within 4g coverage for simultaneous voice/data. But yes, obviously you need the feature to be on, ha. Also the clincher was testing with data on but forgetting to shut off wifi, horrible.

I've added edits to the appropriate posts for accuracy. Sorry folks, definitely can do better.

Throughout all this I did confirm a couple of things that I was curious about: toggling Advanced Calling in settings doesn't require a reboot, it happens immediately. And obviously, you cannot toggle it during a call, it's greyed out.

Last edited:

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

You're absolutely right, I don't know what I'm thinking today. I had fooled myself, testing it with data AND wifi on, forgot to shut off wifi. Gotta edit a couple of other posts real quick, ha...

Ha, ha. I did that first too... then started thinking this is too good to be true... and it was.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

If you figure it out, please post it here. Interesting What you said about speakerphone and also about turning off VoLTE. I was planning in turning off VoLTR tonight because I rearely need voice+data but I always need a decent phone.

I tried turning Volte off and the call sound quality is a little bit better, but still nowhere as near as good as it was before the update. I'm hoping maybe it's a bug that will be fixed. I don't actually use Data&Voice simultaneously, so losing that isn't a deal-breaker for me. I was just bummed that turning Volte off didn't fix it completely. I have had no problems with my phone (got it Nov 28th) up until this VOLTE update. The sound isn't terrible. Just a bit annoying. Honestly, all I can picture is Voldemort from Harry Potter with all the hissing noises that came along with this update. It's a killer phone otherwise! I just remind myself that the little annoyances like the sound quality are nothing when you can get 4 days out of one charge (this, of course, will vary by how often you use it. I got 4 days with light usage...texting, facebook, calls, ect).

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Did turning Advanced Calling off help with the call sound quality? An earlier post in this thread said that turning VoLTE did not improve it for him/her

I noticed a very very slight difference with Volte off, but not much. It was the teeniest bit better with Volte off.

StormnNJ

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Battery is much better but I have the bad call quality as well. Sounds like a bad skype call at points.

Also saw that msm_hsic_host has kept the phone awake for 2 1/2 hours today. Never saw it to that extent before the update.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Honestly, all I can picture is Voldemort from Harry Potter with all the hissing noises that came along with this update.

Great, got another thing stuck in my head along with my posting embarrassment so now I'll have nightmares for days... ;) Regardless, the reboot and cache partition wipe suggestions still stand! I can't be wrong about everything, ya? Don't answer that...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Just a guess, but I'm thinking that Verizon is being very aggressive with the audio compression for non-HD voice calls as they are rolling this out, so that they are sure that the feature works, and will hopefully reduce the compression a bit, and improve audio quality, as time goes on.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165656?hl=en

Google Voice fix-it instructions here. Worked ok on mine but I deff killed it in the update.

So, the updated killed my Google Voice set-up too (something tells me a call to VZW will elicit apologies and an explanation that the 'bug' will be worked on). I tried the manual call forwarding, but now it just goes to the message "This call cannot be completed as dialed. Please call again later," or something along those lines. WTF?

Do I have to add the '1' to the Google Voice number for the forwarding?

EDIT: Ok, just outright tried to call my Google Voice number, and got the same message. WTH? Did it completely F up my Google Voice account somehow?

DOUBLE DOG EDIT: So, Google Voice tells me my number is different than the number it actually is (last digit of number is '4', but in my GV acct, it says my number ends with 7. Any ideas? The '4' number works and leads to my GV number.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

So, the updated killed my Google Voice set-up too (something tells me a call to VZW will elicit apologies and an explanation that the 'bug' will be worked on). I tried the manual call forwarding, but now it just goes to the message "This call cannot be completed as dialed. Please call again later," or something along those lines. WTF?

Do I have to add the '1' to the Google Voice number for the forwarding?
I had my phone replaced by insurance and was forced to do a Voice setup again. This was a day before the update and I had and still have that issue! No matter what I do it fails so its not an update issue.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Easy fix for Google Voice.
just type in *71 followed by your google voice # and hit send

voila

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Easy fix for Google Voice.
just type in *71 followed by your google voice # and hit send

voila
Did that multiple times. Even did the prompts on the website. Tried other dialer #s and still failed.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Did that multiple times. Even did the prompts on the website. Tried other dialer #s and still failed.

I did all three numbers I saw posted 71, 90, and 92. Not sure if I only had to do one of them but it worked.

Oddly though on each of the three it told me my gv number it would be forwarding to and it showed correct except for the area code. My area code is 828 but it showed (820) xxx-xxxx. So I canceled and always on second try it had my correct area code. Just thought it was strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox