Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo VoLTE or Simultaneous Voice and Data

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: List Things You've Noticed from VoLTE Update

Any word if the person you're talking to has been hearing the hissing or is it just on our end?

Think it's just people who have the advanced calling who hear the hiss. I turned mine off because there is better voice quality when it's off. No one I've talked to has mentioned anything sounding weird on their end.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Are you sure? It's been my understanding you could retain the data plus voice ability of VoLTE with or without HD Voice/Video Calling being enabled.

No you can't do both. It was thought you could by another poster but turned out the wifi was giving the data.

Evidently it's on or off.

Posted via the Android Central App

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Are you sure? It's been my understanding you could retain the data plus voice ability of VoLTE with or without HD Voice/Video Calling being enabled.

No you can't do both. It was thought you could by another poster but turned out the wifi was giving the data.

Evidently it's on or off.

Ha ha, er um, yeah that would be me (ref: last couple pages of this thread) and unfortunately, that's a negatory.

Since VoLTE functionality ("Advanced Calling") enables voice calls to use the LTE network now along with data, you need this feature 'on' under settings. If you turn it 'off', then voice reverts back to the CDMA network; hence the Droid Turbo's single antenna cannot handle both voice & data from two networks at the same time.

However, if "Advanced Calling" is 'off' but you are also on wifi during a call, you will have your simultaneous voice/data, since obviously the data will be handled by the wifi network while the call is on CDMA. I think that covers the nuts and bolts? I came back more prepared, trying to redeem myself here... :)

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

My girlfriend no longer hears an echo when I am on speaker phone. She was the only one who complained of it. She has a Galaxy S3 on Straight Talk. So that's one more item in the "plus" column.

nwcollins

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Dropping data when on a call

Okay I installed the latest droid update which has advanced calling 1.0 and I still can't do data while on a call period. Most of you have been saying that was only an issue when you are in 3g areas but my turbo drops to 1x when I make a call even in strong 4g LTE signal areas. The update did not change anything.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ Checklist for you to try, apologies if you know all of this but maybe it'll help someone else:

- Make sure you have a 4g signal, as you said you already have
- Enable HD Voice on your line in your VZW account, then wait a few min and reboot
- Double check to make sure "Advanced Calling" is turned on under settings
- If it still doesn't work, try clearing the cache partition & reboot:
motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9277

Last edited:

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I noticed that all the new features after I dial a number are grayed out...I am really excited about the new features I can't use.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I noticed that all the new features after I dial a number are grayed out...I am really excited about the new features I can't use.

Patience, Daniel-san. Yes, there aren't many compatible phones right now for HD & video calls, but we'll get there. There are a bunch of other improvements that a lot of people in this thread are benefiting from, though; sorry if you're not.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Okay I installed the latest droid update which has advanced calling 1.0 and I still can't do data while on a call period. Most of you have been saying that was only an issue when you are in 3g areas but my turbo drops to 1x when I make a call even in strong 4g LTE signal areas. The update did not change anything.
Did you go into the My Verizon app and add "Advanced Calling 1.0" as a feature?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

nwcollins

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

4g check. I am with page plus but have conferred with other users on kittywirelss forums and they have volte calling on other android phones. As to advanced calling, I found that already in the settings menu but it is grayed out once you go into it where you should be able to enable that. Included screenshot.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418523045185.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418523045185.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

4g check. I am with page plus but have conferred with other users on kittywirelss forums and they have volte calling on other android phones. As to advanced calling, I found that already in the settings menu but it is grayed out once you go into it where you should be able to enable that. Included screenshot.
Verizon has to recognize it in order for it to work. Without the feature it won't work.

Since you're on a separate carrier you need to see if that carrier has the option to add it in your account. If not, you may be out of luck.

wseyller

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Is there is a list of what phones can do video calling. I saw a list of phones with advancing calling such as the S5 and LG G2 but there is a note on Verizon's page saying not all Advanced calling compatible phone support video calling.

nwcollins

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Well same network, just prepaid. They don't have the option on their website, though that doesn't tell me how some are getting the feature on other phones. Also, shouldn't I be able to at least make calls on 4g even if I can't use data at the same time? Seems odd to me its jumping to CDMA soon as I make a call instead of using 4g. Maybe I'm just confused ...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Well same network, just prepaid. They don't have the option on their website, though that doesn't tell me how some are getting the feature on other phones. Also, shouldn't I be able to at least make calls on 4g even if I can't use data at the same time? Seems odd to me its jumping to CDMA soon as I make a call instead of using 4g. Maybe I'm just confused ...
Advanced Calling 1.0 is what activates VoLTE calling and data. So without that feature you wouldn't be able to use it for calls or data.

Are those who have it using a Verizon phone? Some of those carriers support different "host carriers" (Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile) based on which phone you have.

nwcollins

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Page plus only allows Verizon post paid. One specifically mentioned a 2013 moto g I believe. I don't get why the menu area is just grayed out. Can a carrier do that remotely? Sounds more like software issue to me.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Is there is a list of what phones can do video calling. I saw a list of phones with advancing calling such as the S5 and LG G2 but there is a note on Verizon's page saying not all Advanced calling compatible phone support video calling.

Good question, I haven't seen a list other than the HD Voice-compatible list on VZW: Droid Turbo, G2, G3, S5, Droid Maxx/Mini, iPhone 6/6+. No idea which of those phones if any can't do video calling.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Page plus only allows Verizon post paid. One specifically mentioned a 2013 moto g I believe. I don't get why the menu area is just grayed out. Can a carrier do that remotely? Sounds more like software issue to me.
Depends on the phone. I can't speak for the Moto G but I know some previous Motorola phones were capable of Talk + Data at the same time while on 4G and possibly even 3G. This was possible due to a dual antenna design. The Galaxy Note 3 & 4, S5 and others work like this.

The Droid Turbo is moving forward (or shall I say backwards) according to Verizon's corporate plans. VoLTE is going to be the norm so they want you on LTE calls. Since LTE is capable of both data + talk simultaneously they are making that feature necessary and the norm.

I seriously hope I explained that clear enough. I understand the technology but I keep finding myself editing it due to obvious errors.

nwcollins

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I had read about the dual antenna issue as well. I understand what you mean. I'm usually well versed but this subject trips me up. Was hoping the over the air update would give me voice over LTE but guess not.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I had read about the dual antenna issue as well. I understand what you mean. I'm usually well versed but this subject trips me up. Was hoping the over the air update would give me voice over LTE but guess not.
Keep in mind those other people most likely don't have VoLTE either. They have the ability to use CDMA for voice calls and LTE for data simultaneously.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante