Anyone getting a Droid Turbo OTA update?

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have had the update sitting on my Turbo since yesterday, not sure I want to install it since I am very happy with the phone as is.
Is it possible to avoid this update and the constant reminders that it is waiting to be installed?
Does this new calling format involve/effect data usage at all?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had the update sitting on my Turbo since yesterday, not sure I want to install it since I am very happy with the phone as is.
Is it possible to avoid this update and the constant reminders that it is waiting to be installed?
Just take the update. You don't actually have to enable HD Calling.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

opus1269

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

You can turn it off it you don't like it. It does fix the issue of mobile data usage while WiFi is on. If you had that problem it is definitely worth the update.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply - will do.

Thanks opus1269 - you guys are quick

Update went quickly - all good - thanks again
I was at work and about to leave when I got the update. The slow ATT DSL network took forever. :(

Wish it started when I was at home so I didn't have to stay a few extra minutes. My home internet at home is 125 Mbps so it would have been quick, haha.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
You can turn it off it you don't like it. It does fix the issue of mobile data usage while WiFi is on. If you had that problem it is definitely worth the update.

Awesome. I was wondering about that. Thanks. Now if it would just get rid of that stupid startup noise/music/whatever. I thought that got left behind two generations ago.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Too bad we can't make use of the extra space with another row of icon or something
One of these days Google will get the message that denser icon arrays are possible on a phone these days. Not even Lollipop allows it. Meanwhile there are launchers that let you deal with that.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Now if it would just get rid of that stupid startup noise/music/whatever. I thought that got left behind two generations ago.

The update did add this: if the phone is on silent or vibrate-only before rebooting, the startup will be silent, save for a brief vibration. So we got that goin for us, which is nice.

sdf212

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Woke up this morning, and had a notification of OTA Update waiting. Finially Voice/Data at the same time again.. Only made a few test calls but Advanced Calling / VoLTE seems to be working well. Now to wait for lollipop.

.(Test call to customer care shows 4G data while on call)
Screenshot_2014-12-12-06-52-53.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-12-06-58-05.jpg

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Is there a full log of what the update includes somewhere? Release notes?

Nah, VZW put out a puny little flier that basically said the update had 'technology and stuff', such as "device stability fixes/security updates"; ok...

From what can be gathered, though I'm sure some things are missing (PLEASE ADD!), the benefits gained are:

- simultaneous voice & data - in VZW 4g areas only
- HD Voice & one/two-way video calling - use is only with compatible phones; calls drop if move out of 4g range; video calls use data
- 6-way conference calling
- silencing of startup sounds when rebooting in silent/vibrate mode
- "Email Attached moved to top for easy viewing" (exact quote, folks)

Anecdotal improvements, claimed by some but not yet fully substantiated:

- the wifi/data drain issue is fixed
- shutter lag has decreased
- wifi speeds have increased somewhat
- improved Softcard activation

Possible new annoyances:

- With Advanced Calling on, these are disabled/incompatible: ringback tones, Slacker radio tones, caller name ID
- Some Droid Maxx users have previously reported greater battery drain with Advanced Calling enabled
- Mobile network preference resets to 'global'
- Call forwarding to Google Voice possibly reset/nixed/irrevocably damaged/somewhere-in-between

EDIT: A dedicated thread has popped up to consolidate such discoveries. Check it out at:

forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/471432-list-things-youve-noticed-volte-update.html

Hahah.... we will all receive total consciousness after this update

It's in the hole! Pardon me, quote machine today.

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Happy, I posted this in the battery life thread. Not sure if its a fluke or not. Love to know if others are seeing this.

Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Happy, I posted this in the battery life thread. Not sure if its a fluke or not. Love to know if others are seeing this.

Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

I know I'm going off on a tangent, but which is better, Tasker or Automateit? I've been meaning to try these, but haven't yet. I came from a Razr Maxx HD which had Smart Actions.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
you can now hide the google search bar, it's not removed, just invisible/hidden, the space it occupied will now be empty but unusable.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Did the update and it looks like it's no longer using mobile data under wifi coverage. Sweet! Also turned on HD calling, but since most of my calls are made to people as old as I am, usually talking on landlines, there isn't a lot of call for that :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12