Anyone getting a Droid Turbo OTA update?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm going off on a tangent, but which is better, Tasker or Automateit? I've been meaning to try these, but haven't yet. I came from a Razr Maxx HD which had Smart Actions.
I personally like Tasker. It allows you to make your own rules and actions. I read somewhere automateit has an issue shutting down background data in lollipop. Tasker was harder for me to figure out at first but theres youtube videos with how-to instructions. Ive used both but Tasker takes the lead for me.
I also came over from RMHD so I had to find something. Try both and see. But remember there is an issue with 5.0 and automateit. Heres the notes from the playstore.

EDIT:• ★New★ Notification Trigger (KitKat and Lollipop)
• Lollipop - Set Mobile Data Action supported for ROOTED devices only! visit the FAQ page at http://automateitapp.com/faq-support/ for more details)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Happy, I posted this in the battery life thread. Not sure if its a fluke or not. Love to know if others are seeing this.

Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

I bet you had the same problem I did. My old Maxx barely discharged at all overnight. The Turbo discharged about like yours, and it seemed much too fast. I then noticed it was using mobile data even at home and at work where I am under wifi. The mobile data radio uses more power than the wifi radio. It has to - transmission distances can be quite long. Anyway, the new update fixes that bug and I've noticed already a difference in battery consumption. It seems to be about where a Maxx type phone ought to be and it's no longer talking to the mobile data radio as much. I think this is a very welcome update :)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Happy, I posted this in the battery life thread. Not sure if its a fluke or not. Love to know if others are seeing this.

Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

I am seeing the exact same thing. After a charge, battery actually sits at 100 for awhile rather than dropping to 99 immediately. Also, idle drain seems to be about cut in half. I used to lose about 1-1.5% per hour idle drain. That's now down to about .5% per hour. Awesome stuff.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks mike and madison for the reply. But I dont use wifi hardly at all and I dont care how much data gets used. Verizon made it so hard for me to upgrade and keep unlimited data that I now feel a duty to use as much data as possible. All 4g all the time. I have used 13 gb so far this cycle and will probably hit 20gb. Various streaming videos will do that. But they really dont care what I do so I can wage my little battle and no one cares but me. Im laughing my a** off as im typing this.
I only use Tasker to control what happens in the background. I cant stand that there are apps running when I dont ask them too. I also like doing extreme battery tests. Somewhere in these forums, Battery life I think, I posted screen shots of over 3 days on a single charge. But alas Im getting on the train so off to streaming I go.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon made it so hard for me to upgrade and keep unlimited data that I now feel a duty to use as much data as possible.

This just cracked me up. :) But I know exactly how you feel. I had unlimited starting with my BB8330 and just lost it a little while ago when I had to start adding lines. Unlimited was nice and I really miss it. And somehow I'm not buying VZWs telling me eliminating it was necessary to reduce network congestion. I'm glad your Turbo is working out for you. It's not a pretty phone like the Moto X, but it's a beast. Pretty nice screen, too.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm going off on a tangent, but which is better, Tasker or Automateit? I've been meaning to try these, but haven't yet. I came from a Razr Maxx HD which had Smart Actions.

Former Maxx HD owner here too. There is another automating task app called MacroDroid. Might want to check that one out. It's on my to-do list. Now back to our regular thread...

Tom Furlan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Found something else that the update has. You can now remove the Google search bar on your homescreens with the stock launcher. Long press any screen and new settings button is available. From there show/hide search.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/11/64eb872f3aefa53eb9d8109ca7a01761.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/11/c9c401de702e4cf05e002ddf2aec73ae.jpg

Guess this only works if you use the Turbo's modified "launcher 3". You don't get that choice if you use the regular Google now launcher. You do get the option to turn off Google now. Not sure what happens if you do that since I don't want to turn it off.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Great to hear about the slower overnight drain - I dunno yet since I charged last night. But I'm also of the Razr Maxx HD --> Droid Turbo camp as well and it's funny because we must be in the top 1% of people who most value and are the most wary and vigilant about battery life, and I'm all about it!

EDIT: the new thread listing the update's improvements has a number of folks talking better battery. I myself am seeing a slower daytime drain today. Exciting!

Last edited:

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
^^ Huh, just checked my system info app and it says 2.769 GB... though under about phone --> hardware info it still says 3 GB RAM, so there's that.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
^^ Huh, just checked my system info app and it says 2.769 GB... though under about phone --> hardware info it still says 3 GB RAM, so there's that.

It's possible that they allocated the .3 GB for system resources, kind of like a safety net.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome