Might be helpful to put a sticky about this until it's fixed?

Getting charged lot's of $$$ in erroneous overage charges due to a bug that not everyone knows about seems a like a good excuse to me

I was convinced by Verizon last month that there was nothing wrong. That changed this month when Verizon said I used 1GB in one day. But if I had seen a sticky in this forum alerting me to a known problem it might have saved me 3 hours on the phone arguing with Verizon and Mototrola that there is no way I used that much data.
    12-11-2014 08:53 PM
    I agree. Same problem with my turbo. Been using the airplane fix...any news on this fix?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-11-2014 09:10 PM
    It sucks that you and others have had to deal with this problem. And while it has affected plenty of people, there are plenty of others who haven't been affected by this problem. AC can't make a thread a sticky simply because there is a portion of users who can benefit from the information in the thread. If they did, they'd have to make every single thread a sticky which would defeat the purpose of having some threads be sticky threads.
    If you're having issues with your phone-whether its the Turbo or any other phone-my suggestion would be to take some time looking through the threads for that phone and seeing if others are having the same issue. Use the search function-that's what its for. That's what I've done and not only have I been able to solve problems but I've learned a great deal and been able to prevent many problems and help friends with problems. You seem to have found the threads on this forum talking about the problem since you pointed out that many people are having the issue. If you did that when you first noticed the problem it may have save you some time in dealing with Verizon.
    The forum is here with many threads that can help people. They also give us tools to help find if others are having issues and how they dealt with the issues. Its not fair to expect AC to sticky a thread just because its one that you need.
    Ry and Masheen like this.
    12-11-2014 09:34 PM
    Yep it's crazy. I burned through a gig of data while home sick on wifi yesterday. Verizon added notes so I don't pay any overages though. They told me it was a known issue. The weird thing is that my wife also has a turbo and her phone is not having that problem.

12-11-2014 09:42 PM
    tdizzel,
    I understand what you're saying but it's just one of those things that people don't know was a problem or even exsisted. Like a recall on a car, unless you hear about it you don't know your car has a problem.

I really don't see the harm in making a temporary sticky. It's a big enough deal that one of the largest mobile companies in the world is going to make an update for everyone in this forum and probably other phones as well. So in that sense it is something that will effect everyone in this forum.
    12-11-2014 11:39 PM
    I bought two turbos only one went through data while only WiFi was on it was definitely a issue with the phone it may still be happening

12-12-2014 09:31 AM
    This latest update supposedly fixed this problem. If you're on wifi, go into the "About" part of the phone and look up network connection, it should be listed as 'disconnected'
    doogald likes this.
    12-12-2014 09:34 AM
    This latest update supposedly fixed this problem. If you're on wifi, go into the "About" part of the phone and look up network connection, it should be listed as 'disconnected'
    That's good news. And I agree that it would be great to have a sticky thread for this issue. Once the issue is fixed for good, it can easily be un-stickied. I think it hurts nobody and potentially helps a lot of people to have a thread stickied like that. Perhaps it can replace this thread as a sticky, now that the phone is out: "Questions about purchasing the DROID TURBO from Verizon? Ask here!"
    12-12-2014 11:42 AM
    To add to the above...

There is a software update coming down which, for me at least, seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't mention whether the problem was specifically addressed, but so far it's looking good.
    12-12-2014 12:20 PM
    I would rather have this a sticky thread than "what was your previous phone", or "screen shot of your home screen". I'm sorry, but how do those help anyone?

daniel-k, deesugar and jesta192 like this.
    12-12-2014 12:20 PM
    I somehow managed to use 7/10 gigs on my family's plan in the first month. After a week or two of my dad constantly yelling at me, I did some research and found that if you have "Avoid poor connections" setting on in your Wi-Fi settings, it will use Wi-Fi and data at the same time. I unchecked the option and it seemed to work for me. Hope this helps!
    Victor Duong likes this.
    12-12-2014 12:37 PM
    Some Turbos have boost leaks?!
    12-12-2014 04:17 PM
    I somehow managed to use 7/10 gigs on my family's plan in the first month. After a week or two of my dad constantly yelling at me, I did some research and found that if you have "Avoid poor connections" setting on in your Wi-Fi settings, it will use Wi-Fi and data at the same time. I unchecked the option and it seemed to work for me. Hope this helps!
    This helped a little, but did not solve the problem. The update so far seems to make the difference.
    12-12-2014 06:04 PM
    It sucks that you and others have had to deal with this problem. And while it has affected plenty of people, there are plenty of others who haven't been affected by this problem. AC can't make a thread a sticky simply because there is a portion of users who can benefit from the information in the thread. If they did, they'd have to make every single thread a sticky which would defeat the purpose of having some threads be sticky threads.
    If you're having issues with your phone-whether its the Turbo or any other phone-my suggestion would be to take some time looking through the threads for that phone and seeing if others are having the same issue. Use the search function-that's what its for. That's what I've done and not only have I been able to solve problems but I've learned a great deal and been able to prevent many problems and help friends with problems. You seem to have found the threads on this forum talking about the problem since you pointed out that many people are having the issue. If you did that when you first noticed the problem it may have save you some time in dealing with Verizon.
    The forum is here with many threads that can help people. They also give us tools to help find if others are having issues and how they dealt with the issues. Its not fair to expect AC to sticky a thread just because its one that you need.
    While I agree with you on this in most cases this is a bit different. Were not talking about poor battery life, new applications or little things. Were talking about people being charged money for no reason due to data overages that they didn't actually go over. That deserves a sticky so others can figure out what to do.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    Billy Bixby, opus1269 and deesugar like this.
    12-12-2014 07:43 PM
    There is zero cost to make a temporary sticky about an important issue like this. Furthermore there may be many people who don't realize they've been wrongfully charged extra fees by Verizon. What good is a forum if it fails to inform members of critical issues like this?
    Billy Bixby and daniel-k like this.
    12-13-2014 04:39 PM
    I sent a message to Android Central and Droid-Life about the issue Monday morning.

I ported to Verizon from Sprint last Thursday and grabbed a Turbo. I was on WiFi almost the the entire time after I bought the phone. I woke up Monday morning and checked my data, it said I blew through 1.7 GB. I never in my life ever went over 1GB in my life. I called Verizon and the Rep I spoke with read some notes and acknowledge that the Turbo had this issue. He bumped my data up so that I don't go over and Verizon is paying for it.

Right after that conversation with Verizon, I emailed Android Central and Droid-Life and neither site put any news up regarding the data issue with the Droid Turbo

12-13-2014 10:44 PM
    I'm planning on buying the droid turbo, and on limited data. What are the odds that this problem may happen to me and my phone. I want to know if it is worth taking the risk and what I should do if this problem were to happen to me so I don't get stuck paying so much money.
    12-22-2014 12:25 AM
    If it happens, contact Verizon and have them Note it in your account

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-22-2014 12:55 AM
    how would one turn this setting off?
    12-22-2014 12:56 AM
    Has this problem been fixed with the volte OTA that came out a few weeks ago?
    12-22-2014 07:30 AM
    Have any one try turning off the 'Avoid poor wifi connection' in the wifi setting?
    12-22-2014 10:46 AM
    'Avoid poor wifi connection' settings don't have anything to do with this particular issue. Only an update will fix this.
    12-23-2014 10:39 AM
    In my experience, the VoLTE update _did_ resolve the issue.
    12-23-2014 06:11 PM
    Glad to see I'm not just crazy. I only have 2gb of data and blew right through it. My phone use habits haven't changed, and I ended up rolling into a third GB of data. I'll definitely follow up with Verizon and get that taken care of instead of taking it in the wallet.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

12-25-2014 10:13 AM