Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Re-directing pop-up to play store?

SevenDBO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
When I open chrome from time to time, I get a pop-up to the play store for random apps. It is pretty bothersome to me, and I am a bit worried. I've done a full scan and haven't detected anything, but it did not do this for the first 2 weeks I had the phone (got it oct 30th release date) but has been for a bit, even after cache partition clear and ota update today. Any help or insight would be great!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re-directing pop-up to play store?

The only thing you can redirect is the address, and if you redirect the address of the Play Store, you won't be able to use the Play Store on that phone. (You can't easily redirect it only in Chrome, you have to redirect it for the phone.)

A popup blocker in Chrome might work, though - if it doesn't work by modifying the hosts file (which is how most work, and which creates the first problem, since the hosts file is used by the whole phone).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

When I open chrome from time to time, I get a pop-up to the play store for random apps. It is pretty bothersome to me, and I am a bit worried. I've done a full scan and haven't detected anything, but it did not do this for the first 2 weeks I had the phone (got it oct 30th release date) but has been for a bit, even after cache partition clear and ota update today. Any help or insight would be great!

I'll bet that you opened a page in Chrome that had a redirect to the Play Store, and it keeps opening that page when you re-open Chrome (Chrome remembers the tabs that are open). Go back to Chrome (using the running tasks button, bottom right), hit the square control on the top right (the running tabs button), and swipe away any tabs that are open.

See if that helps.

If it doesn't, try settings / apps, scroll to Chrome, and "clear data" rather than "clear cache".

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I'll bet that you opened a page in Chrome that had a redirect to the Play Store, and it keeps opening that page when you re-open Chrome (Chrome remembers the tabs that are open). Go back to Chrome (using the running tasks button, bottom right), hit the square control on the top right (the running tabs button), and swipe away any tabs that are open.

See if that helps.

If it doesn't, try settings / apps, scroll to Chrome, and "clear data" rather than "clear cache".

Yep, that happened to me and I did just what doogald described. I had opened a web page with that play Playstore app page and I was always redirected to that. I didn't notice it at all when I opened up chrome, cause I almost always use Google now. After I closed that tab in chrome it stopped happening.

Posted via Android Central App

SevenDBO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

Thanks very much guys! I clears the data from the settings-apps-chrome. That did the trick. Much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37