02-18-2015 10:40 PM
101 12345
tools
    For the past couple days I've used the stock keyboard. And I have to say, outside of not being able to put a number row at the top and having to switch to 2nd screen to use question mark, I can type faster and more accurate with it. Hmmm...

I'm sure Google is improving this alongside other features/apps. If it just had alternate characters on the letter keys too.. Because I can sure type faster on it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Actually, you can add the number row (Google it for instructions). Not bad but I prefer the customizable features of SwiftKey.
    12-17-2014 01:30 PM
    I went back to Swype. Much more accurate for me. Even though it doesn't have a dedicated arrow row, I am still able to get my messages sent faster because of less Swype-o's
    12-17-2014 02:43 PM
    I use Swiftkey...the Red theme. :-) Red Turbo, Red Cruzerlite Bugdroid TPU case, Red Alienware wallpaper, and Red Swiftkey keyboard. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-17-2014 05:27 PM
    For the past couple days I've used the stock keyboard. And I have to say, outside of not being able to put a number row at the top and having to switch to 2nd screen to use question mark, I can type faster and more accurate with it. Hmmm...

I'm sure Google is improving this alongside other features/apps. If it just had alternate characters on the letter keys too.. Because I can sure type faster on it.

There's a way to get number row with the press of one button...

Posted via the Turbo
    Attached Thumbnails Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Stock keyboard or SwiftKey?-18516.jpg  
    12-18-2014 05:49 PM

Posted via the Turbo
    How?

12-18-2014 06:12 PM

Posted via the Turbo
    And what about the dedicated curser arrows, Like with Swiftkey?
    12-18-2014 07:30 PM
    How?

Here you go:

http://m.androidcentral.com/how-add-...oogle-keyboard

People complain that it's too small but I just shift to it when I'm predominately using numbers, then back to the standard keyboard when I'm using letters... works fine for me.

Posted via the Turbo
    12-18-2014 10:31 PM
    Oh ok, found that. That makes letters/keys too small to type on. Makes it more of a pc style than normal.

12-18-2014 10:34 PM
    Over the past year and a half, I went from Swype to Swiftkey Beta to Swiftkey to the Google Keyboard once the lollipop theme came out.

I find that I personally had more errors swiping on SwiftKey vs. the other two. I also didn't like the lack of access to a user dictionary. But I loved the customization and the emoji support. When tapping the keys, Swiftkey has the best next word prediction.

Google keyboard has been good to me. Swiping works well for me. As a bonus, I like the layout of the numeric keyboard best on the Google Keyboard (when filling a numbers-only field it comes up by default.)

Sent from my Moto X
    anon(9228075) likes this.
    12-19-2014 12:03 AM
    Over the past year and a half, I went from Swype to Swiftkey Beta to Swiftkey to the Google Keyboard once the lollipop theme came out.

I find that I personally had more errors swiping on SwiftKey vs. the other two. I also didn't like the lack of access to a user dictionary. But I loved the customization and the emoji support. When tapping the keys, Swiftkey has the best next word prediction.

Google keyboard has been good to me. Swiping works well for me. As a bonus, I like the layout of the numeric keyboard best on the Google Keyboard (when filling a numbers-only field it comes up by default.)

Sent from my Moto X
    Good points. I love the user dictionary. I've got shortcuts so when I type 2 custom letters my email address populates

dmark44 likes this.
    12-19-2014 01:11 AM
    What are you guys using? I e used SwiftKey forever but gave the stock Google one a shot and really liked it.

Only reason I put the SwiftKey back on was the #'s on top row and I like the question mark option on the "." key where you can swipe to the right and get a "?"

M

I've used Swiftkey for a very long time. Before that - and this is going way back - I used SmartKeyboard and Thumbs. Right now I'm typing on the google keyboard and - yuck. Too much missing. Headed back to Swiftkey. ;-)

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    KPMcClave likes this.
    12-19-2014 07:18 AM
    One SwiftKey feature I love that I haven't seen referred to so far - deleting the previous word in one action. Two different ways to do that, actually.

12-19-2014 07:26 AM
    Swype does that by pressing and holding the backspace. The longer you hold it, the faster it goes.
    12-19-2014 10:17 AM
    As I've done before, I gave SwiftKey a day off and tried out the new release of Fleksy. I've done that with one or two other keyboards, too...but they don't make it more than a couple of minutes.

While typing on Fleksy I thought to myself that something about the experience felt more like typing on a physical BlackBerry keyboard. That hadn't occurred to me when I have tried Fleksy in the past. I realized the next day that it is the layout. The second row of alpha characters (A, S, D...) is flush to both sides of the screen on the Fleksy keyboard (as on a BB keyboard). SwiftKey, etc. use more of the desktop keyboard layout with the (what I consider to be) wasted space of the indented second row .

This may sound like a minor thing, but I felt so much more comfortable with that layout on Fleksy (and I have been using an Android for going on 2 years, so I'm certainly used to the other style keyboard layout). I have long fingers and the extra room is probably just more ergonomic for me? Dunno.

However, pretty much everything else I like better on SwiftKey (especially predictions and the way they're implemented). By the way, I don't swipe at all, so those features don't matter to me.

So, I'm back to SwiftKey now. I did tweet @SwiftKey and request a theme with the BB/Fleksy type layout.They said they would pass it along, but who knows. For me, it could just be the one thing that makes SwiftKey a perfect app.
    12-19-2014 11:05 AM
    Tried Swiftkey, hoping for some nice customization and better functionality, but the autocorrect was too sensitive and the customization options were too few. Went back to Google keyboard.
    dmark44 and Billy Bixby like this.
    12-19-2014 11:56 AM
    I have used SwiftKey in the past, and tried it on the Turbo, but it does this really weird thing when I try to backspace quickly. I'm not even sure I can describe it but my screen guess haywire and freezes up. I finally had to give it up. I'm now using ai.type keyboard and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
    12-21-2014 02:32 AM
    I have used SwiftKey in the past, and tried it on the Turbo, but it does this really weird thing when I try to backspace quickly. I'm not even sure I can describe it but my screen guess haywire and freezes up. I finally had to give it up. I'm now using ai.type keyboard and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
    I had the same issue with swift key. I gave it up and am getting used to the Google keyboard. So far I don't miss it much.

12-21-2014 03:46 PM
    Been trying to use Fleksy for awhile, but there's no language option for Finnish/Suomi so I'll probably have to go back to SwiftKey or the Google keyboard. I do really like it though.

KPMcClave likes this.
    12-22-2014 07:39 AM
    I'm *really* trying to embrace Fleksy now. I went so far as to uninstall SwiftKey and disable the Google keyboard again. Yeah, it's oh-so-tough to reinstall SwiftKey, right? It's more a mindset/symbolic thing.

Since realizing the Fleksy layout is that of the BB physical keyboard, I am set on trying harder than ever to get used to and use Fleksy permanently. As I've pointed out before, it is going to have a tough time beating SwiftKey in everything else, though.
    12-22-2014 01:20 PM
    Swype. Kicks major ****. I tried 'em all and keep coming back to Swype.
    12-22-2014 01:37 PM
    I loved Swype, but the dragon dictation instead of using Google voice recognition and lack of emoji support motivated me to try other options.

Sent from my Moto X
    12-22-2014 01:54 PM
    I like Swype better than Swiftkey.
    12-23-2014 11:34 AM
    Tried Swiftkey, hoping for some nice customization and better functionality, but the autocorrect was too sensitive and the customization options were too few. Went back to Google keyboard.
    Auto correct on SwiftKey just drove me back to the playstore. Although the keyboard is far superior to Google, Swiftkey will occasionally forbid me from typing certain words, names. Unacceptable. How is this okay for anyone?

01-01-2015 10:35 AM
    Auto correct on SwiftKey just drove me back to the playstore. Although the keyboard is far superior to Google, Swiftkey will occasionally forbid me from typing certain words, names. Unacceptable. How is this okay for anyone?

How do you mean "forbid?" I realize the prediction can be sort of wonky sometimes, but I haven't ever had a word I couldn't get through.

Guessing here, but perhaps it keeps auto-"correcting" when you hit space to go to the next word? No mattter how many times you go back and type the word? In that case, once you finish typing the word and ensure you have it spelled correctly, and BEFORE you hit the space or punctuation keys, tap the word as you typed it in the predictions selections above the keyboard. That adds it to your personal dictionary and will recognize it then and in the future.

The flip side of this is that you can long press any word in the predicitions to no longer have it suggested (for excample if you saved a typo or misspelled someone's name previously).

I tried really hard to get going with Fleksy because I like the BlackBerry style layout that only it (and BlackBerry) seem to provide. I even uninstalled SwiftKey and paid for Fleksy...still only lasted a few days on Fleksy. Back on SwiftKey. Again.
    01-01-2015 12:05 PM
    I switched to Swype and love it.
    01-01-2015 12:48 PM
101 12345