Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Stock keyboard or SwiftKey?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What are you guys using? I e used SwiftKey forever but gave the stock Google one a shot and really liked it.

Only reason I put the SwiftKey back on was the #'s on top row and I like the question mark option on the "." key where you can swipe to the right and get a "?"

M

Posted via the Android Central App
I've used Swiftkey for a very long time. Before that - and this is going way back - I used SmartKeyboard and Thumbs. Right now I'm typing on the google keyboard and - yuck. Too much missing. Headed back to Swiftkey. ;-)

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
One SwiftKey feature I love that I haven't seen referred to so far - deleting the previous word in one action. Two different ways to do that, actually.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
As I've done before, I gave SwiftKey a day off and tried out the new release of Fleksy. I've done that with one or two other keyboards, too...but they don't make it more than a couple of minutes.

While typing on Fleksy I thought to myself that something about the experience felt more like typing on a physical BlackBerry keyboard. That hadn't occurred to me when I have tried Fleksy in the past. I realized the next day that it is the layout. The second row of alpha characters (A, S, D...) is flush to both sides of the screen on the Fleksy keyboard (as on a BB keyboard). SwiftKey, etc. use more of the desktop keyboard layout with the (what I consider to be) wasted space of the indented second row .

This may sound like a minor thing, but I felt so much more comfortable with that layout on Fleksy (and I have been using an Android for going on 2 years, so I'm certainly used to the other style keyboard layout). I have long fingers and the extra room is probably just more ergonomic for me? Dunno.

However, pretty much everything else I like better on SwiftKey (especially predictions and the way they're implemented). By the way, I don't swipe at all, so those features don't matter to me.

So, I'm back to SwiftKey now. I did tweet @SwiftKey and request a theme with the BB/Fleksy type layout.They said they would pass it along, but who knows. For me, it could just be the one thing that makes SwiftKey a perfect app.

Symthic

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Tried Swiftkey, hoping for some nice customization and better functionality, but the autocorrect was too sensitive and the customization options were too few. Went back to Google keyboard.

bcrit

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used SwiftKey in the past, and tried it on the Turbo, but it does this really weird thing when I try to backspace quickly. I'm not even sure I can describe it but my screen guess haywire and freezes up. I finally had to give it up. I'm now using ai.type keyboard and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

donsmith1964

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I have used SwiftKey in the past, and tried it on the Turbo, but it does this really weird thing when I try to backspace quickly. I'm not even sure I can describe it but my screen guess haywire and freezes up. I finally had to give it up. I'm now using ai.type keyboard and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
I had the same issue with swift key. I gave it up and am getting used to the Google keyboard. So far I don't miss it much.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Been trying to use Fleksy for awhile, but there's no language option for Finnish/Suomi so I'll probably have to go back to SwiftKey or the Google keyboard. I do really like it though.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm *really* trying to embrace Fleksy now. I went so far as to uninstall SwiftKey and disable the Google keyboard again. Yeah, it's oh-so-tough to reinstall SwiftKey, right? It's more a mindset/symbolic thing.

Since realizing the Fleksy layout is that of the BB physical keyboard, I am set on trying harder than ever to get used to and use Fleksy permanently. As I've pointed out before, it is going to have a tough time beating SwiftKey in everything else, though.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I loved Swype, but the dragon dictation instead of using Google voice recognition and lack of emoji support motivated me to try other options.

Sent from my Moto X

Billy Bixby

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Tried Swiftkey, hoping for some nice customization and better functionality, but the autocorrect was too sensitive and the customization options were too few. Went back to Google keyboard.

Auto correct on SwiftKey just drove me back to the playstore. Although the keyboard is far superior to Google, Swiftkey will occasionally forbid me from typing certain words, names. Unacceptable. How is this okay for anyone?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Auto correct on SwiftKey just drove me back to the playstore. Although the keyboard is far superior to Google, Swiftkey will occasionally forbid me from typing certain words, names. Unacceptable. How is this okay for anyone?

How do you mean "forbid?" I realize the prediction can be sort of wonky sometimes, but I haven't ever had a word I couldn't get through.

Guessing here, but perhaps it keeps auto-"correcting" when you hit space to go to the next word? No mattter how many times you go back and type the word? In that case, once you finish typing the word and ensure you have it spelled correctly, and BEFORE you hit the space or punctuation keys, tap the word as you typed it in the predictions selections above the keyboard. That adds it to your personal dictionary and will recognize it then and in the future.

The flip side of this is that you can long press any word in the predicitions to no longer have it suggested (for excample if you saved a typo or misspelled someone's name previously).

I tried really hard to get going with Fleksy because I like the BlackBerry style layout that only it (and BlackBerry) seem to provide. I even uninstalled SwiftKey and paid for Fleksy...still only lasted a few days on Fleksy. Back on SwiftKey. Again.

Billy Bixby

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
How do you mean "forbid?" I realize the prediction can be sort of wonky sometimes, but I haven't ever had a word I couldn't get through.

Guessing here, but perhaps it keeps auto-"correcting" when you hit space to go to the next word? No mattter how many times you go back and type the word? In that case, once you finish typing the word and ensure you have it spelled correctly, and BEFORE you hit the space or punctuation keys, tap the word as you typed it in the predictions selections above the keyboard. That adds it to your personal dictionary and will recognize it then and in the future.

The flip side of this is that you can long press any word in the predicitions to no longer have it suggested (for excample if you saved a typo or misspelled someone's name previously).

I tried really hard to get going with Fleksy because I like the BlackBerry style layout that only it (and BlackBerry) seem to provide. I even uninstalled SwiftKey and paid for Fleksy...still only lasted a few days on Fleksy. Back on SwiftKey. Again.

You guessed right. It is absolutely infuriating to keep trying to type in a name or word over and over. And it will do this every time it encounters an unknown name/word? I really did like it at first....

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

There are always three suggested words above the keyboard as you type, and the one on the left is exactly what you type. Tap that and it will put in your typing and learn it as a word for the next time you type it.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried using swiftkey for almost a full day, but it just didn't like my swyping technique which is my preferred input method. My fingers seem to be more tuned to the google keyboard (or vice versa), and I get much better results from it. I'm actually a FlexT9 fan, even though it's been unsupported for years, but when I got the Turbo, I decided not to install FlexT9, and have been happy with the default goggle keyboard, which was quite a surprise for me.

But still, props to FlexT9, and RIP.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You guessed right. It is absolutely infuriating to keep trying to type in a name or word over and over. And it will do this every time it encounters an unknown name/word? I really did like it at first....

Then all you had to do is tap the word in the predictions before you hit space or a punctuation key. Problem solved.