Seems like there were some shortcuts taken. How hard is it to add/keep a reboot option when holding down the power button. No, I don't need a qise guy to give me some coding answer, because it will be wrong.
    12-16-2014 10:05 AM
    I also don't understand how that's not an option. I never want to turn off my phone, I always want to reboot /restart my phone. 1st world problems I know, but that's the life we've grown accustom too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-16-2014 10:09 AM
    I don't think a coding answer will be wrong, but the stock ROM for Lollipop no longer has a reboot option. Google, for whatever, reason removed it.
    Ry likes this.
    12-16-2014 10:10 AM
    I have never had an Android phone that had a reboot option, unless I rooted the phone and installed a custom ROM.

It wouldn't be hard to do, but I can't believe it's a terrible hardship to shut down and then restart the phone.
    Ry likes this.
    12-16-2014 10:55 AM
    I don't think I've ever had that option on a stock phone. Had it with plenty of roms.
    Ry likes this.
    12-16-2014 11:59 AM
    I think Galaxy s3 has restart

12-16-2014 12:04 PM
    Now that I think about it, as stock goes, I've only seen the restart option on Samsung touchwiz phones.
    12-16-2014 12:28 PM
    Every HTC phone that I owned (Droid Incredible 2, Droid Incredible 4G, Droid DNA, One Remix) all had an option to reboot.
    12-16-2014 12:40 PM
    Both of my prior devices, the Droid Charge and Galaxy S3, had a restart option. Seems silly not to have it.
    12-16-2014 02:32 PM
    Every HTC phone that I owned (Droid Incredible 2, Droid Incredible 4G, Droid DNA, One Remix) all had an option to reboot.
    Looks like Motorola isn't adding it if it's not in stock Android.
    12-16-2014 02:43 PM
    Seems like there were some shortcuts taken. How hard is it to add/keep a reboot option when holding down the power button. No, I don't need a qise guy to give me some coding answer, because it will be wrong.
    No need for this. Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Play nice.
    Golfdriver97 and Dhawk1202 like this.
    12-16-2014 02:45 PM
    I don't think a coding answer will be wrong, but the stock ROM for Lollipop no longer has a reboot option. Google, for whatever, reason removed it.
    I don't remember it in Jelly Bean and KitKat either.
    12-16-2014 02:45 PM
    I don't remember it in Jelly Bean and KitKat either.
    Come to think of it...I don't recall it on the 2013 X, and I have been running custom ROMs on most of my devices, which usually add a reboot menu as a given.

Edit: On the Custom ROMs, I am sure you can turn the reboot menu off, but it is on by default.
    Ry likes this.
    12-16-2014 02:48 PM
    My work G2 has a 'power off and restart' if that's what the OP means. I remember one of my earlier droids having that option too, but I don't remember which model and which OS

12-16-2014 03:32 PM
    If you just hold the power button down it will reboot. Have to hold it for like 5 seconds
    12-16-2014 04:27 PM
    Stock Android hasn't had a "reboot" option by default for a while (if it ever did). A lot of the OEMs add it to their custom builds, i.e. the Samsung Galaxy and Note series both have a restart option under the shutdown menu.

You used to be able to just bring up a terminal emulator window and type "reboot", however I've tried that with the Turbo, and it appears to just sit there and do nothing. Maybe that command requires root on this phone?

If you just hold the power button down it will reboot. Have to hold it for like 5 seconds
    It will, but it's a "hard" reboot, doesn't shutdown gracefully. Not really sure if that's a big deal or not, but it's still not the same as having the system initiate a reboot.
    12-16-2014 05:04 PM
    My understanding is that the hard reset is there mainly for system freezes as a substitute for a battery pull, which of course we can't do on this phone unless you're skilled enough to make one of those teardown videos. I would also love clarification about the differences between using a hard reset and a normal 'reboot' (i.e., shut down, start up).

I know that root definitely allows for reboot commands. Though, I never thought I was advanced enough to use terminal emulators, so I always did it through the Titanium Backup menu option on previous phones.
    12-16-2014 07:00 PM
    Hate to say it but that and the pulldown toggles were really nice on Touchwiz.
    Could do without some of the other stuff and I found some toggles to replace them on the DT, but still.
    Not all the Samsung mods were bad. It was actually pretty decent with Nova or such on it.
    12-16-2014 08:32 PM
    QFT
    12-16-2014 09:01 PM
    If the s4 ever got an unlocked bootloader, or I had any confidence the s5 would I'd still be there honestly. I'm happy with the DT but it wasn't enough to win me just on its own merits. Anyway..
    12-16-2014 09:14 PM
    Now that I think about it, as stock goes, I've only seen the restart option on Samsung touchwiz phones.
    Every HTC phone I've ever owned had this option, I believe.

Posted via the Turbo
    12-16-2014 10:50 PM
    Could do without some of the other stuff and I found some toggles to replace them on the DT, but still.
    Not all the Samsung mods were bad. It was actually pretty decent with Nova or such on it.

I agree, there are a lot of nice features on Samsung devices. Granted i love my Turbo, but Samsung definitely gets a lot right
    12-17-2014 03:33 AM
    I can't believe it's a terrible hardship to shut down and then restart the phone.
    I'm with you on this.
    12-17-2014 04:59 AM
    On most implementations the "restart" doesn't actually power down then off. It clears most of active RAM and then forces the device to power off with a catch in RAM to cause the reboot. This is very similar to doing a battery pull with the benefit of closing some processes first, however it can still cause corruption and should be used with caution. Doing so without a ROM level hook requires root access.
    HappyFunBall24 likes this.
    12-18-2014 10:10 AM