Do you use a screen protector or no?

On my S4 I had one for a while but found out the screen was supposed scratch proof and ditched it and it was so much better.

I've had the turbo for a week naked, and its really smooth but how durable scratch proof is the screen? What kind of glass is it?

I know if I gash it with a key is one thing but just every day stuff....

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-16-2014 04:41 PM
    Considered this for awhile. Was intrigued to read about the new tempered glass protectors available now and decided to try one. Bought the EZguard because it was cheap and figured I could toss it if it didn't work out. Installation was easy....but I noticed that one small spot near the bottom of the phone did not adhere. Don't know if it was my fault or not. It is only visible when the screen is off. Does not affect operation. Ordered a second one for my fiance's phone....will see if it has the same problem.

12-16-2014 04:53 PM
    It is Gorilla Glass 3. It is more scratch resistant and fracture resistant than plain glass, but it is still glass, and it can do both of those things.

I have become so accustomed to having a screen protector on my phone I just always put one on.
    12-16-2014 04:57 PM
    I haven't used one in over 4 years now (Droid 2, Razr Maxx HD, and now Droid Turbo).
    12-16-2014 05:10 PM
    I haven't used one in over 4 years now (Droid 2, Razr Maxx HD, and now Droid Turbo).
    Exact same sequence of devices, never used a screen protector. Never had a scratch or otherwise marred the glass surface of any of those devices. On the other hand, screen protectors can get scratched. Then what? You need to put on another one.

12-16-2014 05:19 PM
    I do because I am prone to reselling and, while microscratches don't bother me, they may bother the buyer.

I've never used a tempered glass one before yesterday but I have to give it the vote as the way to go. I bought the iVoler (0.2mm) from amazon and was concerned about thickness vs. what I am used to (plastic film). It feels just like the original glass and it fits just right. Expensive but seems worth it at the moment
    12-16-2014 05:50 PM
    Use one. Its almost impossible to avoid micro scratches. Even if a protector scratches you can just apply another one.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    12-16-2014 06:21 PM
    I'm all for screen protectors as extra insurance against small bumps, nicks, and randomness. The good ones barely take anything away from the display, don't cost much, and help to preserve resale value as others have noted.

PowrDroid, I didn't realize you posted the video here as well before I responded in that other thread first. I'm putting the bulk of my response here since the topic is more applicable. At 7:23 of your video, a bunch of scratches on the screen are shown.

There's no argument that Gorilla Glass 3 does a very good job in reducing the likelihood of scratches, marks, and cracks. But not to the point where there's no reason for a screen protector. This doesn't directly translate to "no screen protector = scratches galore", but to me it's not worth risking it when there's something available that barely affects user experience, if at all. On the other hand, if the naked screen happens to get scratched, that would definitely affect my user experience.

I can also make PowrDroid's claim that I've never had a damaged screen surface either after always using screen protectors. I'm glad it's worked out for your naked screen - but it's an n of 1. There's quite a few reports online of people with Gorilla Glass 3 scratches after regular use, more so from sand than anything else. On the other hand, there's very very few reports online of anyone having scratched any Gorilla Glass screen that has had a protector on it - I can't say 0 because I haven't been to every website, but I couldn't find any coming from regular use. Sand hasn't affected my screen or the protector the multiple times I've had my phones with me on the beach or camping. A screen protector isn't the be-all-end-all, but it doesn't hurt and may just help.

I have a link to show also - this is how the Gorilla Glass marketing director himself talked about the product... good improvements for scratches, but doesn't say anything about them not being an issue anymore:

Gorilla Glass 3 promises 40% fewer scratches | Computerworld

There has to be room for improvement for our Gorilla Glass 3 screens, because Corning is currently touting Gorilla Glass 4, which their website says is 2 times tougher than anything else out there and that it survives drops "80% of the time". Really good, but we're still many years away from "practically indestructible", as was claimed in a different thread.
    12-16-2014 06:44 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I think I may try that tempered glass one to see if it hampers the experience any.

12-16-2014 08:39 PM
    I highly recommend the iVoler 2.0 mm tempered glass. Excellent product. Only $12 on Amazon with prime.
    12-16-2014 08:50 PM
    I tried the tempered glass one that verizon sells but didnt like the feel of it. Gave up and put it in an Otterbox defender. I have to have a large belt clip and that seemed like the best option. It makes it a brick but I also like that. Cant stand thin feeling phones.
    12-16-2014 10:11 PM
    I went ahead and get the. 2mm one to try out. Should be here tomorrow. Will update how it feels.

12-17-2014 01:22 PM
    I just got my Turbo (64GB) and until I'm 100% convinced I'm keeping it, I'll keep a screen protector and case on it. If and when I decide I'm keeping it, then off with the protector. I don't like them, never have.
    12-20-2014 12:24 AM
    I just put on the protector from ivolver and like it! It's a tighter fit than the one I just replaced which was the Verizon one. The glass feels smother than the flexible one. I recommend it for the price!

12-21-2014 06:34 PM
    I've had my ivoler one in since Friday now and really like it. Pretty smooth compared to naked.

Just feel a little more secure I think as far as putting it in my pocket and keys etc...

12-21-2014 09:59 PM
    I'm using Mr. Shield protectors from Amazon. It's $6 for 3. So far it's nice. The first one I put on was bubble hell but the second is sitting nice. Good feel and clarity so far.
    12-22-2014 09:17 AM
    If I'm given the option of a screen protector, I'm not turning down the offer. Whether it placebo or actually protecting the screen isn't really a concern. I just like the piece of mind.

12-22-2014 09:21 AM
    Use one. Its almost impossible to avoid micro scratches. Even if a protector scratches you can just apply another one.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    I'm quoting myself here for a reason. I have several micro-scratches on my display even though it was never in my pocket with another object. I'm going to live with it but if for some reason I ever need a warranty replacement I'm going to be putting a MIME Ghost Glass on to prevent this in the future.

I've tried XtremeGuard and iVoler but the overall quality was poor. Neither stuck on the edges even though they're installed perfectly. Both are cut too large so it touches the curved glass and lifts. Mime is said to be cut properly
    02-03-2015 03:29 AM
    Im gonna try a screen protector tonight (free with my case arriving today). But I'll most likely tear it off due to disliking the feeling of using a screen protector. I usually never use a screen protector they are very annoying. Plus the turbo does get one free screen replacement.
    02-03-2015 09:50 AM
    I don't have one, and don't plan on it. No scratches on my screen after 3 months. My wife, on the other hand, gouged her screen somehow. Though, that's the only scratch on it, oddly enough.
    02-03-2015 01:21 PM
    Exact same sequence of devices, never used a screen protector. Never had a scratch or otherwise marred the glass surface of any of those devices. On the other hand, screen protectors can get scratched. Then what? You need to put on another one.

Am I the only one that was cringing while he did this to the unprotected glass ?
    02-03-2015 04:57 PM
    Attachment 161817
    I got mine in the mail yesterday and right away took off the Mime guard tempered glass that I had on the phone. (The Mime glass was cut to big for the Droid Turbo and the left and right edges along with the bottom would not sit flat and stick to the phone.)
    The iVoler glass fits so much better! Take your time and get it aligned right and you will love the fit! It went on with no air bubbles and there was no need to use a card to smooth it out. I did have to peel it up one time to get it centered better and clean a small dust spec off and it went back on just as smooth as the first time.
    So make sure your phone is clean and you take your time getting it centered and you will be very happy!
    I share the picture that have installed the screen protector, it shows very smooth and clear,It's all perfect!!
    Thats hard to believe. I've put on 3 iVoler protectors perfectly aligned in the center and all 3 had lifting on all 4 sides all the way around. I've heard this complaint a lot with iVoler so its shocking although I am not doubting you. I've always said iVoler protectors are awful in quality control because it varies way too much.

MIME, on the other hand, you're the only negative I've seen so far from those who have tried both. With that said, glad you got a good one!

Side note - looking at your picture I can see some Halo lifting on the left side and top. It may be an issue in the image though and not truly a lift. I had 3 iVoler installed exactly as yours and the lifting scratched into the display on a 100% dust free display. That's why I'm assuming bad quality control.

Disclaimer - anything I'm saying is from personal experience and not an attack on you or anyone else.
    02-04-2015 03:08 AM
    The slight halo may be just the reflection of the light,It's just a small issue.You say you install 3 iVoler protectors,but it doesn't stay down flat to the screen, but I do scucessfully the first time,I think maybe your installing skill is not skifulled. Easy to put on be sure to clean the screen very well before attempting to put on.
    I install plastic and tempered glass with 100% accuracy. Not a finger print or spec of dust is under there and I know this for a fact as I've inspected them extremely closely. I have installed numerous MIME and Zagg Glass for friends and family and each installation is perfect among a variation of devices. The issue is the cut on the iVoler is not optimal for the 2D glass.

XtremeGuard was by far the worst. The first iVoler I installed went in okay but had slight halo on all sides. The second and third that I have done the same way had way worse which is why I say the quality control isn't great. Trust me when I say I am a master at screen protector installs. I won't even let Verizon install it since I know I can do it better then they can when I bought from them.

As I've said above before too please do not take this as being snippy at you. I know it may seem that way in text form but I assure you that anything I say to anyone is with the best intent unless noted otherwise.
    02-04-2015 05:18 AM
    I think iVoler is great if you get a good one. In my experience with them it took three to find one I could live with. The first two were bad. The third one just had slight lifting in the top left and along the top edge. OK... but not perfect. And out of three friends that also tried them, there were at least two that were terrible with lifting all the way around. With them I think its a quality control issue.
    The Mime glass I just put on fits my turbo much better and has zero lifting now and no halo. But that's not saying that a bad Mime glass could be out there too. Its all about the Quality control.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
    02-04-2015 07:43 AM