Why does my screen go black during a call?

puckparent

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Screen goes black during call

When I am on a long telephone call or put on hold, the screen goes black. I can hear the person on the other end but can't get rid of the black screen until they hang up. I have tried waiving at the top sensor but nothing happens. Is this normal?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen goes black during call

No, the proximity detector is defective. It detects when you get near it, but doesn't stop detecting when you move away from it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does pressing the power button turn the display back on? (Assuming, of course, you have turned off "settings / accessibility / Power button ends call".)

Last edited:

puckparent

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

Can this be fixed? Or should I ask for a new phone? I am still in the return window at Verizon where I can return the phone and get a new one.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

When I am on a long telephone call or put on hold, the screen goes black. I can hear the person on the other end but can't get rid of the black screen until they hang up. I have tried waiving at the top sensor but nothing happens. Is this normal?

That's just how it works. Have to hit the power button to wake it back up. Can't wave over it, the proximity sensor doesn't work during a call. I talk on a headset and sometimes need to access something on my phone and found all this out. I wish it would work. My S4 just let me push the home button but no home button here....

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Are you talking about using speakerphone or call with phone to your ear? If it is not turning on if you pull away from your ear, it's definitely defective. Proximity sensor should be active on a non-speakerphone call.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Are you talking about using speakerphone or call with phone to your ear? If it is not turning on if you pull away from your ear, it's definitely defective. Proximity sensor should be active on a non-speakerphone call.

Yes, if you have to your ear and take away, it should come back on. Mine does.

But if on speakerphone or on Bluetooth or wired headset it goes black and can't get back on without pushing the power button.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jheebs

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

Make sure your sensors aren't covered up by your screen protector or your case, this will make the sensors not work properly...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc