When holding the power button, I have the option of choosing "Silent". Speaker with a line through it. With my Razr Maxx HD, it would silence everything, ringer, notifications, game sounds, etc. However, with the Turbo, it seems to only silence the ringer. Is there a setting to silence everything?
    12-17-2014 11:32 AM
    When holding the power button, I have the option of choosing "Silent". Speaker with a line through it. With my Razr Maxx HD, it would silence everything, ringer, notifications, game sounds, etc. However, with the Turbo, it seems to only silence the ringer. Is there a setting to silence everything?
    Settings / Sound / Volumes. You can change them all there. You can create a "Settings" widget that will take you straight to sound if you want it to be quicker.

I suspect that there are third party apps and widgets that can do it faster.
    12-17-2014 03:13 PM
    At the home page if you hold the volume down button it will silence the phone. First you will feel it vibrate. Than tap it one more time and it will be silenced. To raise it again just hold the up volume button

JMO
    PowrDroid likes this.
    12-17-2014 03:15 PM
    At the home page if you hold the volume down button it will silence the phone. First you will feel it vibrate. Than tap it one more time and it will be silenced. To raise it again just hold the up volume button
    That changes notification and ringtone volumes only, I believe. Alarm and Media volume are not changed with this shortcut. It's probably faster to long-press power and choose sound off.

(Many people would want alarm volumes unchanged, I would think. That's always a tough decision...)
    12-17-2014 03:29 PM
    I'll have to test along side the RMHD when I get home.
    12-17-2014 04:29 PM
    That changes notification and ringtone volumes only, I believe. Alarm and Media volume are not changed with this shortcut. It's probably faster to long-press power and choose sound off.

(Many people would want alarm volumes unchanged, I would think. That's always a tough decision...)
    You are correct. I never turn off alarm volume and media volume I control from inside the app that I'm using.
    12-17-2014 04:48 PM
    I use a program called "Audio Manager" to manage my specific volume levels. At work sometimes I have to use "Mobile twinning" with my Avaya phone which calls my cell when my desk phone rings. I want the ringer up but not all my text and other notifications, and this app lets me quickly and easily manage all the different volume settings. I've been using it since I got my first Android with an HTC Sensation on T-mobile years ago.
    12-17-2014 06:08 PM
    This seems to be a major design flaw. I'm a relatively new user and had my phone on "silent" the other day (mash power button --> choose 'vibrate'). Actually, I was in church and going through Twitter (don't judge!). Went to the home screen and accidentally hit something and my 'siri' came up and said something like "I can't find the pictures you're looking for" (or something like that) Jeez, it was truly appalling when everyone looked over. That is a truly terrible oversight.

I could not recreate that exact quote, but I noticed that even when on 'silent' if you hit the microphone in the G search bar it bongs and then if you remain silent she will say, "if you just tried to say something, I didn't understand". Also, if you happen to open the browser to a page with an 'auto-play' ad, the volume will play. This is just terrible and just about makes using your phone during inappropriate times impossible. (and yes, I understand the paradox and 'unethical' nature of the last sentence, but I don't need my phone to attempt to control my supposed obnoxious behavior). This has GOT to be a problem for others, no...or does no one else look at their phone during meetings and such?
    05-12-2015 09:23 AM
    Silencing the phone in that matter only silences notifications. If you are going to actively use the phone the media volume is still at whatever level you set it at unless you turn that down separately. It's designed so that they are independent of one another.
    05-12-2015 05:46 PM
    This seems to be a major design flaw. I'm a relatively new user and had my phone on "silent" the other day (mash power button --> choose 'vibrate'). Actually, I was in church and going through Twitter (don't judge!). Went to the home screen and accidentally hit something and my 'siri' came up and said something like "I can't find the pictures you're looking for" (or something like that) Jeez, it was truly appalling when everyone looked over. That is a truly terrible oversight.

I could not recreate that exact quote, but I noticed that even when on 'silent' if you hit the microphone in the G search bar it bongs and then if you remain silent she will say, "if you just tried to say something, I didn't understand". Also, if you happen to open the browser to a page with an 'auto-play' ad, the volume will play. This is just terrible and just about makes using your phone during inappropriate times impossible. (and yes, I understand the paradox and 'unethical' nature of the last sentence, but I don't need my phone to attempt to control my supposed obnoxious behavior). This has GOT to be a problem for others, no...or does no one else look at their phone during meetings and such?
    Sorry this is funny . I would have been on the floor laughing if I had been there . Shame on you for playing with your phone during church services . Um the Turbo doesn't have SIRI so were you on a Iphone when you were sinning in church . And I suggest you download an App called Volume control+. And this app is for all of ya that want total control over your Volume settings .
    05-12-2015 05:59 PM
    I've been using Volume Ace for years. Works great. Customizable profiles and a widget that shows exactly the various volume levels.
    rxgadget likes this.
    05-13-2015 06:56 AM

I don't know if this is only an option within my HD Widgets, but I've only been able to accesses it from there, but I have a "Do not Disturb" button available via that application, and when you press it, it presents a timer, and you get NO interruptions during that period of time you set (which it remembers for the next time you use it). One press again later to disable it. Great for movie theaters. One press, and I'm done (mine is default set for 3 hours).
    05-13-2015 09:47 AM
    Thanks for the recs, guys. After a little bit of research, I decided to go with...Volume Ace! Congrats, TLA, on the big win! I'm sure you're proud.

Seriously, I appreciate the input. Great recommendation thus far. I will continue to believe that this is a major design flaw, but VA is pretty cool and makes it easy to set profiles. Simple to adjust and see all six [seven] (ringer, notification, media, alarm, voice and system [with a toggle for bluetooth]) volume controls. Now I'll never miss a tweet...no matter where I am!
    05-13-2015 01:04 PM