Switching from Messaging to Messages+

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
KA1OTE, you might want to try 8SMS. I used it on my Maxx HD. It seems very similar to the stock app. Not sure if it has mass delete option though, as I haven't used it for months.

Perfection! In 8SMS, I long press a single message in a conversation thread. A popup menu gives me a 'Select' option. I tap select, the menu closes, I'm taken back to the thread and that message I selected in greyed out. I can then tap any other messages and tap a trashcan icon on the top of the screen. Again.. PERFECTION!! Thank you oh wise, PowrDroid! :D :D

brockpsu

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have trouble sending MMS when you are connected to wifi? The only app I have found that actually received group messages and pictures us textra. There is an option in the settings, for t-mobile, that says it momentarily disables wifi when sending an MMS. I am on Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have trouble sending MMS when you are connected to wifi? The only app I have found that actually received group messages and pictures us textra. There is an option in the settings, for t-mobile, that says it momentarily disables wifi when sending an MMS. I am on Verizon.

I am almost always connected to my house wifi. The 8SMS app I just got (thanks again PowrDroid!) has a setting for just this. I have mine set to Enable MMS Always, MMS Network set to Verizon and MMS over Wifi turned off (as Verizon doesn't let us). With this setup, I've been texting back and forth with my husband for the last few minutes.. sending and receiving pictures. The app is turning the data on (and Wifi off) to send and receive but then my Wifi is turned back on. Here are some screenshots for ya..

Screenshot_2015-02-10-14-43-24.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-10-14-44-02.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-10-15-02-37.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-10-15-04-17.jpg

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Question:
I assume if you switch to Message+ (et al), it's easy to switch back to the stock Turbo Messaging - should there be a reason to do so ?

thx.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
ummm people the stock messenger does have mass delete, long press each converstion, its gets highlighted, then press trash, done !!!

Exactly!
In Windows I have a saying: When In Doubt, Right Click or Drag N Drop.
Apparently the equivalent in Android is: When In Doubt, Long Press
lol ...

= = =

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
ummm people the stock messenger does have mass delete, long press each converstion, its gets highlighted, then press trash, done !!!

Yes, you are correct. Using the stock messaging app, you can long press each conversation and perform a mass delete.
You cannot, however, long press individual messages within a conversation and perform a mass delete.
I tried to do this and failed miserably. It is simply not a given function/ability.
8SMS does allow mass delete of both conversations and individual messages, so that is where my loyalty lies for the time being.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Google messenger and have never gone back to any other sms app again. It's so stable and best part is that you can send and receive mms through WiFi instead of always data

Used hangouts for sms, which started crashing, so I switched to Google messenger. Love it. Simple and clean.

I LOVED Google Messenger, BUT, it is great for a few days and then starts messing up. I have downloaded/uninstalled many times over several months and same thing happens every time on my Galaxy Note 4.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you are correct. Using the stock messaging app, you can long press each conversation and perform a mass delete.
You cannot, however, long press individual messages within a conversation and perform a mass delete.
I tried to do this and failed miserably. It is simply not a given function/ability.
8SMS does allow mass delete of both conversations and individual messages, so that is where my loyalty lies for the time being.

verizons messenger+ does all of the above functions without the use of downloading and installing a third party app !!!

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I know you don't like it, but, just for the record and the benefit of others, Textra allows this as well.

Very true. Having tried both Textra and 8SMS, I found that 8SMS works better for my needs and has much less going on than Textra.
A perfect case of "To each their own". They are both great apps and perform as described.

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Very true. Having tried both Textra and 8SMS, I found that 8SMS works better for my needs and has much less going on than Textra.
A perfect case of "To each their own". They are both great apps and perform as described.

Try Google messenger. It also allows you to send and receive mms through WiFi and not data

brockpsu

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Try Google messenger. It also allows you to send and receive mms through WiFi and not data

I can't use Messenger when I'm on wifi. I have to shut off wifi and let Verizon kick back in for mms to send. Textra, and others, have an option to do this automatically.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion e the droid stock messenger and 8SMS are not very pleasing to look at. Textra has been the best messaging app I've ever used. Great balance of simplicity, beauty, and just enough features. It is super fast, never had any issues, and takes up an extremely small footprint on storage. I love it.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
BUT its buggy, i remember once it gave me the notification of an unsent message from hell, couldn't get rid of it, app disabled.
I tend to believe your experience was an aberration of some sort. Many people, myself included, have used it extensively with great results. In the past, I've not been a fan of most Verizon apps but this one was done right.

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I can't use Messenger when I'm on wifi. I have to shut off wifi and let Verizon kick back in for mms to send. Textra, and others, have an option to do this automatically.

That's peculiar. For me it works flawless without the use of data

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
After seeing this thread resurrected I tried the Google messenger app. Didn't even know it was there. It's great.

I was thinking the same thing. Never heard of it before, but downloaded it yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Is there anything you're not liking about it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital