Equalizers do NOT work on Droid Turbo??

Droid Turbo

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,

No matter how much I love my new Droid Turbo, one thing really poisons the pleasure of having this incredible phone: no equalizers work on it. I’ve already tried a dozen of equalizer apps in conjunction with the stock Google music player and other players, but the results were always the same: sliders’ positions had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the music.

Same goes to other controls typically found on equalizer apps: bass boosters, balancers etc.

I tried to turn off the stock equalizer that comes with Google music player. Same thing. The stock equalizer btw sucks big time because you can’t even move the sliders - but that’s a separate topic.

It does bother me a lot. I’ve used equalizers since ever. The equalizer apps I had on my previous Droid RAZR MAXX worked flawlessly. I’m wondering if anyone else experiences the same problem, and if there’s any way out. I ran an extensive online search but found nothing. Nevertheless I couldn’t be the only one who felt the urge to download an equalizer app on the new Turbo phone, so questions must have been raised… Please let me hear from you!!

Kind regards,
Leon

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was me, and I thought it was only on the Bluetooth headphones I was using. I have not tested to see if it would work on the phone speaker, but then, frankly, I'd never be able to hear it on the phone speaker anyway.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
My equalizer works when attached via Bluetooth to a Bose SIII "beat box" ... I don't have Bluetooth headphones so I can't attest to that.

I will say the Motorola equalizer is the best out there. When using other devices attached to the Bose Bluetooth I have to turn off the equalizer because it distorts sound too much but the Turbo rocks it.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Stock equalizer settings work for me using earbuds.

I agree. I picked up some SOL Republic on-ear and ear buds this weekend, both wired. I was listening to them and setting up EQ profiles for each in PowerAmp. It turned the on-ear models from boomy to accurate. I was using locally stored music to do so. I do know though that Google Music and Amazon Music don't allow equalization of their streaming content.

This has nothing to do with the Turbo as I found this out on my old Galaxy S3, this has to do with Google Music and Amazon Music.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't think about trying stored music. I always use Pandora.

Remember that Pandora streams at best 192k when listening on "Web only" - if you're a Pandora One user - according to their website. If you're a basic user, like myself, the stream is at 64k. That is VERY low quality, especially if you're using a decent set of headphones /IEMs.

Most copied music through iTunes or other services download at around 192k and some at V2 or V0 (variable bitrate).

Just an FYI ☺

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I played with this a bit since reading this thread. The stock eq seems to do nothing! Of course, it takes a third party app to play music anyway. I am using Poweramp right now and the eq in Poweramp seems to work fine! What would the stock eq be used for anyway? Phone calls?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I picked up some SOL Republic on-ear and ear buds this weekend, both wired. I was listening to them and setting up EQ profiles for each in PowerAmp. It turned the on-ear models from boomy to accurate. I was using locally stored music to do so. I do know though that Google Music and Amazon Music don't allow equalization of their streaming content.

This has nothing to do with the Turbo as I found this out on my old Galaxy S3, this has to do with Google Music and Amazon Music.

I was using music stored on my device as well, with the added information that it was music I had bought on Google Play store, downloaded to my phone's memory.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was using music stored on my device as well, with the added information that it was music I had bought on Google Play store, downloaded to my phone's memory.

And the difference is there, the equalization no longer has to be handled by Google or Amazon, but by the app used on the device. It's much easier to equalize a file stored locally, than to do so with a file being streamed from the net. In that case you'd have to not only stream the file (which would also depend on the data connection speed) but also have it alter the sound through an equalizer, which would most likely end up being a very choppy result, especially if you jump ahead to a certain time in the song.

As far as the onboard equalizer, it most likely has compression or limiting software to safeguard the onboard speaker, which is why the sound is worse at high volume with the EQ enabled. And it's possible the Motorola EQ doesn't have permission to work with external apps when using the headphone jack.

This is all supposition on my part, but it's all I can come up with without knowing more about the setup itself.