Why has my battery life declined so rapidly?

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Battery help

So I just switched over to a droid turbo 64gig from an iPhone (very happy I made the switch). I've had the phone a little over a week now and initially the battery was superb. Lasted close to the 48hours with pretty heavy use(getting acquainted to the new phone, downloading apps etc) these past few days however I can't even get through a day with that same usage. I did download the Nova launcher which I like alot and that doesn't even seem to show up in my battery usage as you can see. So I don't think that's it. Any ideas as to what it can be? Advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Screenshot_2014-12-23-18-46-44.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-23-18-47-16.jpg

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery help

A couple of things may be a clue. First, cell signal has been "iffy" with a lot of weak signal & total dropouts. Secondly, your wake time seems a little more than it should (with screen off) at least, to me.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I did spend a decent amount of time underground on the subway, but still no more than 2 hours. I appreciate the response.

Any idea on why that would be? I honestly didn't even know how to discect that screen but after your comment that makes a little bit more sense.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Try removing Nova launcher again and see if battery life is back to normal. It could be Nova, just hidden under android system or Android OS.

However, I think it's a combination of high screen use and occasional poor signal. The 48 hour promise is for people who hardly use their phones and live near mobile towers and stay within a few feet of a wifi router all day.

Sidharth Tyagi

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

You can try greenify app which is now available for non rooted devices also. Its hibernate all the apps which runs in the background , its helped me a lot you can give it a shot too. Otherwise i found this article very useful ( sorry m new so i can't post link but you can search on google " etech4u increase battery life").

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Yea I wasn't expecting a full 48hours but was alarming to see it go from close to 2days to less than 1 in just about a week

I just checked greenify and had almost all my apps running in the background so hopefully that is the cause.

Thanks for the input

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

So I just switched over to a droid turbo 64gig from an iPhone (very happy I made the switch). I've had the phone a little over a week now and initially the battery was superb. Lasted close to the 48hours with pretty heavy use(getting acquainted to the new phone, downloading apps etc) these past few days however I can't even get through a day with that same usage. I did download the Nova launcher which I like alot and that doesn't even seem to show up in my battery usage as you can see. So I don't think that's it. Any ideas as to what it can be? Advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Highly doubt it's Nova...I've been using Nova Launcher on my Turbo since I got it, and haven't had any issues in that regard (And I've been using Nova on my other Android devices for years).

Looking at your screenshot, in the 10.5 hours on the graph, there were at least 3 blocks of time where the cell signal was pretty bad and wifi was not connected. Also, your screen time appears to be somewhat substantial. Those 2 things are the top battery life eaters on an otherwise healthy phone.

If you click on "Screen" (as shown in the right-hand pic with 44% next to it), it should give you a total time of the screen being on...if you post that information here that can help to diagnose.

10.5 hours on the Turbo battery is a bit shocking, as I don't think I've ever had mine go dead in less than 24 hours, but if, for example, the screen was on for over 5 of those hours and the phone was doing a bunch of other things as well (including searching for signal), that could be normal.

Frankly, I wouldn't panic...yet. If you've only had the phone for a week or so, you may have just hit heavy day that ran through the battery quicker than normal. Keep an eye on it and see if the battery life doesn't start to improve and level off when it's not being used as much.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Question about greenify:there's a handful of apps that are consistently showing up on the list to manually hibernate. Is there a way to stop them from automatically restarting?

chasvs

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Which charger have you been using? I had been using a Qi charger and got terrible battery life. Switched to only using the Turbo charger and have been getting two days worth of use given my normal routine.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

The turbo charger it came with. I've used greenify and have shut the apps down. Wish I knew how to stop them from automatically restarting.
I still don't know why it seems to be awake with the screen off but I'm still troubleshooting

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I turned off my moto gestures that constantly wake it to show the time and notifications. Now it only wakes if you move it. And it takes at least two weeks for a new battery to settle. Mine did almost the exact thing. After it settled, bam great battery life

DRoID TuRBo this...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I still don't know why it seems to be awake with the screen off but I'm still troubleshooting

If the phone is playing music, for example, or in the middle of navigation, or on speakerphone dung a call, it will stay awake with the screen off. Also while you are charging.

Otherwise you have an app in the background holding the phone awake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol