I haven't needed it yet but travel a lot and want a car charger to have on standby. Is there a special type or just a regular charger and it will charge at a normal rate?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-26-2014 03:20 PM
    Hi, get yourself an " i-go " car charger. They have removable tips,to make it universal. There are blue and green labeled tips for different charging rates. Look them up online and find your application for your phone. Or find it in a store near you.

I have been using mine 12 + years and have changed tips only three times,as some of my phones had the same ports. Namely mini usb. Very reasonably priced.
    anon(9228075) likes this.
    12-26-2014 04:02 PM
    I am using the Verizon quick (super) vehicle charger. Seems to charge quite quickly. It even has a little mini flashlight at the mini USB tip to shine light on the socket of the phone when plugging it in if dark.
    12-26-2014 04:09 PM
    Verizon quick charger for vehicles let is by far the best one I have ever used. It also has a handy led light at the tip so you won't mess up your port while trying to plus it in the dark.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-26-2014 04:16 PM
    With Turbo charger..its unlikely you will need one. 15min...gains you 20-25% battery juice. But...any start MicroUSB car charger will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-26-2014 04:59 PM
    There are car charges with the same Qualcomm "Quick Charge 2" technology as the Turbo charger that comes with the phone. Not sure if the Verizon one mentioned in this thread is one of them or not. I got one by GetWow for Christmas, but haven't had the chance to evaluate it yet. I don't think I'll need a car charger very often, but it would be nice to have one that's fast if you need it. Just search for Quick Charge 2.0 car charger.

...To follow up, I used the GetWow car charger this morning on the way to work. My phone went from 57% to 86% charge in 30 minutes. I think that's about what the turbo charger that came with the phone would do. Curiously, the phone did not report "turbo charger connected". Maybe that's because the voltage is only 12V from the car, not sure.
    12-26-2014 07:58 PM
    I bought QI wireless charger dock from Amazon and I love it. The dock stays plugged in to the lighter and the dock swivels from portrait to landscape. It's perfect for viewing map/GPS, or listening to my music. It's made by Choe. It comes with both a suction mount and vent mount. I highly recommend it!
    12-28-2014 07:36 AM
    See attached picture of the dock I ordered.
    Attached Thumbnails Charger for car?-screenshot_2014-12-28-07-37-00.jpg  
    12-28-2014 07:45 AM
    A lot of people are having issues with qi charging on the turbo right now - mostly the charge percentage indicator is wrong and either stays at 100 for a long time or quickly discharges from a full charge to dead in minutes. Apparently it's not universal, but I would stay away from qi charging for now until an update fixes that problem.
    12-28-2014 09:34 AM
    Would a standard car charger, such as the one for the Droid Razr MAXX work OK on the Turbo?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    01-04-2015 11:05 AM
    Would a standard car charger, such as the one for the Droid Razr MAXX work OK on the Turbo?
    Definitely yes, I'm using one since bought this phone.
    01-04-2015 11:13 AM
    I bought QI wireless charger dock from Amazon and I love it. The dock stays plugged in to the lighter and the dock swivels from portrait to landscape. It's perfect for viewing map/GPS, or listening to my music. It's made by Choe. It comes with both a suction mount and vent mount. I highly recommend it!
    Without in any way trying to be disparaging about your choice, I do not understand the use of a QI charger for the car. You save the connection of the usb cable from the phone to your charger port, but you still have to connect the QI unit to the charge port. I use one of the many attractive iottie holders and a right angle usb cable for power on the rare occasion I need a dash mount (trips to Florida in my case).

Certainly, to each his (or her) own, but this seems like an unnecessary expense and a rather bulky option. Just my opinion of course, and I'm glad your happy with your choice.
    01-04-2015 11:26 AM

Yup. like Denis alluded to, there's nothing special about the Turbo when it comes to non-Turbo charging. Any USB cable connected to your car's USB port, or power adapter USB port will charge your phone.
    01-04-2015 11:29 AM
    Thanks.

01-04-2015 11:35 AM
    My only caveat about car charging is make sure that the output is 1 amp or more. Anything less could end up not being enough to charge.
    rxgadget likes this.
    01-04-2015 11:44 AM
    My only caveat about car charging is make sure that the output is 1 amp or more. Anything less could end up not being enough to charge.
    Agreed.
    01-04-2015 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD