A Better Camera

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried A Better Camera? I don't remember how I came across it, but it takes some nice pics with its DRO (dynamic range optimization) feature. I think its basically a form of HDR. I cam across this barn today and shot a few pics of my car in front of it. These are straight out of the camera app with no further editing other than cropping and shrinking down a bit to email to myself.

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 170
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 171

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice shots.

I've had it for a couple of weeks. I haven't played around with DRO, I've played around with white balance, night mode, and best shot. Best shot is supposed to help with blurry objects in motion. I don't have pets so I can't really test it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Very nice, great taste in cars BTW. I'm downloading it now, hopefully can improve my camera shots. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
...... I really see no problem with the turbo camera

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 9125.jpg
    9125.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 9118.jpg
    9118.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 127

charklos

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys try Google Camera? I much prefer it over the stock Turbo camera. Doesn't work with the twist motion either tho :-\

Posted Turbo fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb Emp-Ed

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Better Camera for a few weeks. It takes great pictures but there is still some noticeable lag between pressing the shutter button and getting the picture taken.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have A Better Camera, Google Camera, the Moto stock camera of course, and the Moto Camera+ all on my Turbo and not one of them takes acceptable pictures under a lot of different circumstances. Lower light (not dark mind you), really any motion at all, etc. lead to shoddy pics.

The problem being that my Maxx did better with fewer MP. I know MP are not the end all, but I would expect the vast difference in MP and supposedly updated hardware and software to have me taking better pictures than I did on my Maxx...and usually I don't. They certainly shouldn't be *worse*.

Outdoors with a slow moving or non-moving object, sure. Almost everything else is problematic.

I am holding out hope that a Moto software update will make things better.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just spent a week in the Dominican Republic on a trip and tested photos taken with the Google Camera and the default app. I'm not sure if it's the result of the touch to focus feature on the Google Camera, but it takes ever so slightly crisper pictures consistently in my opinion. Whenever I took a photo with one app, I would quickly jump to the other app to capture pretty much the exact same image. Throughout the week, it was pretty clear to me that the Google Camera is a little better. I love the twist to open feature. It's a shame this will only work with the default camera app.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just spent a week in the Dominican Republic on a trip and tested photos taken with the Google Camera and the default app. I'm not sure if it's the result of the touch to focus feature on the Google Camera, but it takes ever so slightly crisper pictures consistently in my opinion. Whenever I took a photo with one app, I would quickly jump to the other app to capture pretty much the exact same image. Throughout the week, it was pretty clear to me that the Google Camera is a little better. I love the twist to open feature. It's a shame this will only work with the default camera app.

When I did the same sort of test on my Droid Maxx last summer, I preferred the Moto camera. I kept the Google Camera installed for the Lens Blur feature and still would even if the Moto camera on my Turbo was better.

I haven't noticed enough of a difference in the four different cameras I've tried (mentioned earlier) to stick with one as the current "best." It's sort of maddening.

I think my best option has probably been the Moto camera with multi-shot, and hoping one of the series comes out clearly.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
the camera is disappointing on the turbo. i didn't expect it to be a good as my Icon but i would have been happy with close or even decent. it definitely isn't what i expected from a flagship phone. if i was a part of the droid turbo project at motorola i would be embarrassed.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have A Better Camera, Google Camera, the Moto stock camera of course, and the Moto Camera+ all on my Turbo and not one of them takes acceptable pictures under a lot of different circumstances. Lower light (not dark mind you), really any motion at all, etc. lead to shoddy pics.

The problem being that my Maxx did better with fewer MP. I know MP are not the end all, but I would expect the vast difference in MP and supposedly updated hardware and software to have me taking better pictures than I did on my Maxx...and usually I don't. They certainly shouldn't be *worse*.

Outdoors with a slow moving or non-moving object, sure. Almost everything else is problematic.

I am holding out hope that a Moto software update will make things better.

The stock app has touch/drag to focus. It's called control focus & exposure in the app, but it's the same thing. The Droid Maxx had the same feature. While it's not always perfect, I've found I can take better pictures with the Turbo more often than not. Is it perfect? No, nothing is. And while it may not be the best in it's class, there are two things why I haven't switched to another device. I can take good images about 75% of the time, and I also don't have to deal with issues like skins that drag down the overall device performance or a device that is uncomfortable to use due to it's size. I'm apparently having the opposite experience of others here. I came from the Maxx and if I knew I'd need to take pictures while I was using that phone, I'd make sure to take a P&S with me. With the Turbo, I'm reasonably sure that I can get the images I need out of it.

My main gripe is I wish they had a low light option. By that I mean with low light on, the shutter time is like it is now. But with it off, the shutter time would be more like most other cameras. I understand they mean to make the camera as automatic as they can, but I've found that most times it doesn't result in the best pictures. Or even better, have a regular and advanced mode, which would give the user access to things like white balance, exposure, ISO, etc.

Last edited:

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded this app and I love it. Used the free version at a party last night and everyone went nuts over how good the photo Came out. HDR pics in torch mode.

My Facebook is loaded with great comments from people about the pics. Good thing I had a full charge before party. They were making me take pics all night.

I ended up paying the four bucks for the premium version.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded this app and I love it. Used the free version at a party last night and everyone went nuts over how good the photo Came out. HDR pics in torch mode.

My Facebook is loaded with great comments from people about the pics. Good thing I had a full charge before party. They were making me take pics all night.

I ended up paying the four bucks for the premium version.

Do you think the premium version is worth the money?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Took these today while I was out hiking in the 8 degree weather here.

db65d7b6f5ce368390cc7eba13baa607.jpg

9363dd2d04bc87f6a6c2e073f3a4adaa.jpg