So, I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for a drop over 2yrs. It was a good solid phone, but showing it's age. I was also fed up with verizons high price and was considering jumping ship despite knowing verizons network is usually superior in most locations. I stumbled upon the $60/mo loyalty plan and that was the sweet sport for me. So, I called customer service and very easily got switched to the unlimited text/voice + 2GB data for $60/mo. I was sticking with verizon after 10yrs of service.

I was considering the iPhone 6 pretty hard. I ended up with a MacBook Pro last year and it's very nice. But, I have had Android since the very first Droid years ago so I'm comfortable with it.

So, up pops the Droid Turbo a couple months ago and the reviews seemed pretty cool. Specs seemed great. I was going to get the 64GB model if I didn't get the iPhone 6. They were both $199 through Verizon. Well, the 32GB was $199 and for 64GB it was like $240 as I recall.

Xmas rolls around and I see verizon has 50% off the Android phones. I was leaning towards the iPhone. Still hadn't played with one yet though. Sale expired (bummer I thought) before I got paid some overtime. :-(

I get paid and check verizon...darn...$199. I thought...let's check amazon and best buy. Well, to my surprise they had the Droid Turbo 32GB models on sale for a freakin' DOLLAR! Yeah...$1.00!

That made my iPhone vs Turbo decision a lot easier. I had always gotten my phones on very good sales and have never spent more then $99 for a new phone. But a dollar for the flagship Android phone. Wow.

I probably would have went with the iPhone 6 if they were both $199. But, I am still in the Android camp.

I didn't expect the bestbuy dude to activate my new phone. But he did. Like THAT, my daily companion GS3 was basically useless garbage. I was a bit sad. The S3 was a VERY stable phone. I hope the Turbo is a quality device. The only thing I don't like about my purchase is that I had to get the BLUE BN bestbuy model as it was the only one they had left in stock.

My first impressions were pretty good. It felt weird to use a naked phone as my S3 has an otterbox. The phone is VERY slippery to me. I don't feel the phone really needs a case but just to get better grip I'm getting one.

Overall, I am quite happy with this phone. Some annoyances are:

Bottom buttons stop working once in a while, but after a second or two will work again. If it was more frequent, I'd think it's a defect and return it, but it's still rare and always fixes itself.

Home screen all the way to the left and unable to select the little dots that represent the various app screens seems weird to me.

Having the buttons all the way at the bottom of the phone makes it awkward to hold without accidentally hitting the back button! Even though it's already a wide phone I must get a case to add some material so I can hold it comfortably without hitting the bottom buttons. No biggie...it is what it is. When i played with the iPhone NOT having the back button through me off a lot.

The voice on GoogleMaps which I use every day is...variable in volume. Music and phone volume is consistent, but not Google Maps voice. I keep the volume on max settings, but sometimes it seems to be half volume. I don't get that. It made me worry there was a hardware issue with the speaker. All other sounds are good to go though. <SHRUG>

WHY is there no RESTART on the power menu??? Am I missing something obvious?

I miss the MENU button on my S3 a lot.

The camera delay sucks.

Things I like:

The screen is really nice.

Battery life is indeed excellent. I am perplexed WHY this is such a big deal to people. How long do they go between getting access to a wall outlet or car charger???

It is fast and smooth. Going back to the S3, it felt very sluggish in comparison.

Call quality is very good. I read reviews that the volume on the ear piece was very low to the point people had to change the way they held the phone. All I can think is HUH? The ear piece volume is good for me and call quality seems very good to excellent. The criticism of the ear piece almost had me buy the iPhone. I guess it depends what phone you came from, but the S3 was very low in many cases so I guess anything would be an improvement.

I'm loving the notifications over the LED lights! I used to have to put my phone face down at night so the LED's wouldn't bother me. LOVE the waving hand over phone to wake it up and see notifications! That feels very polished.

I do not use the voice activated stuff. I set it up and tested it, but will never use it. Nice to have I suppose.

WiFi has been very solid for me.

It does indeed TURBO charge. Charging is MUCH faster then the S3.

Motorola Connect while basic is nice to have. I still prefer MightyText though.

OVERALL...

I am very pleased with this phone. I would have been happy if I spent $199, but for $1.00 it is a tremendous upgrade for me. Most of the cons/announces are software based and can be rectified. Hopefully, with the 5.0 or 5.1 rollout...it will get even better.
    PowrDroid and daniel-k like this.
    01-07-2015 05:24 PM
    Welcome to the Turbo family.

All of your pros and cons are valid and have been discussed at length by many of us. You'll be very happy with your decision with the Turbo.

Be sure to search the forums for case ideas as well as any other questions you have. We've got a very helpful community here, so you won't be hurting for responses.

Again, welcome!

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo
    01-08-2015 11:17 AM
    My story is similar. I planned on getting a Turbo for the last couple of months as soon as I was eligible. I was going to go with the 64gb for the extra $50, but when I saw the Best Buy promo for $1 I couldn't resist. I've had mine a week and a half now and love it, no regrets here. 64gb would have been great but a brand new Turbo for $1, I'm happy.
    01-08-2015 04:15 PM
    Paid $33 for the 64GB Turbo at Verizon. Worth the extra $32 IMHO
    01-08-2015 04:41 PM
    Paid $33 for the 64GB Turbo at Verizon. Worth the extra $32 IMHO
    You win.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-09-2015 11:16 AM
    Yeah, most of your negative observations (which are perfectly valid) are things Samsung get's right. I miss my S4 too pretty often.

You might look into Nova Launcher or such for some of the UI changes. Base plain vanilla android is nice from a performance standpoint, but it's pretty bare really.

Good phone though, has some issues I'm hoping the L update resolve that are pretty well covered in the various forums, but a solid device in most ways.
    dungoyle likes this.
    01-09-2015 11:53 AM
    I'm loving the notifications over the LED lights! I used to have to put my phone face down at night so the LED's wouldn't bother me. LOVE the waving hand over phone to wake it up and see notifications! That feels very polished.
    Isn't that the best? It's something Motorola does VERY well, and I'm still perplexed why people miss LED lights after having Moto Display.
    01-09-2015 05:13 PM
    Welcome!
    BTW, you can do a restart by holding the volume down button and the power button. Yeah, it'll take a screenshot first, but it'll restart.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    01-09-2015 05:48 PM
    Welcome!
    BTW, you can do a restart by holding the volume down button and the power button. Yeah, it'll take a screenshot first, but it'll restart.

Hey, COOL BEANS! Thanks, man!

To the guy who got the 64gb for $33..great score! I asked Verizon if they had any discounts on the Turbo or iPhone before I went to bestbuy and they didn't.

Thanks for the other comments. Glad to see I'm in the consensus opinion on the phone.
    01-09-2015 08:50 PM
    Welcome!

Actually, just holding only the power button will eventually result in a reboot. About 3 seconds. This is not considered a graceful power recycle though; it's really better used for if and when your phone is locked up. Otherwise, you really should power off, then back on manually. Yeah, slight PITA. Would love a legit software option to recycle properly.
    01-10-2015 06:17 AM
    Isn't that the best? It's something Motorola does VERY well, and I'm still perplexed why people miss LED lights after having Moto Display.
    I suppose they would still be useful for prioritization. If my wife sends me a message, the LED flahes, etc. The Moto Display functionality overall is so much better, though.
    01-10-2015 09:29 AM
    I thought it was a bit of hype before I actually had it, the moto notifications and the wave hand to see them at will bit is golden though.
    01-10-2015 03:09 PM