Just had a strange, but welcome experience regarding my Turbo and my Verizon data Plan. I wonder if anyone might have some insight.

I ran VERY close to my 3GB data limit this month, due to listening to some Christmas music in the car, and downloading some updates using mobile data. I usually only use about my half of my data, but managed to get to 2.93GB as of today. Tomorrow is my cutoff date on my contract, so I turned off mobile data on my phone tonight so that I wouldn't go over my limit.

Less than hour after I turned off the data, I got an email from Verizon offering to double my monthly data for FREE, but only if I call the number listed in the email. Of course, I called the number for this "exclusive" offer and got the data increase to 6GB, effective immediately.

So, I'm thinking there are several possible reasons for this:

1) Something raised a flag at Verizon when I turned off my data.
    2) Something raised a flag at Verizon when I got close to my limit.
    3) Might have something with the supposed "data leak" on the Turbo
    4) One of their random "loyal customer" offers
    5) Verizon is just trying to keep up with the competition by giving us more data for our dollar
    6) Complete coincidence

It just seems SO weird to me that this happened right after I turned off data on my phone. Did anyone else have an experience like this?
    juststart and xweb10 like this.
    01-14-2015 07:48 PM
    5) Verizon is just trying to keep up with the competition by giving us more data for our dollar
    That one. I've gotten it twice from AT&T (and one of them doubled my data and lowered my monthly bill at the same time).

Have you been seeing TMobile's "data rollover" ads? I just saw my first AT&T data rollover ad. They're all fighting for customers, and if X gives you something more, you'll leave Y for X. Giving you a larger data allowance (especially if you normally don't even use the 3GB you had) doesn't cost them more than a buck or two of a clerk's time. Losing you as a customer because Sprint will cut your bill in half will cost them a lot of money you would have been paying them. Now you can relax and worry a little less about how much you're using.
    01-14-2015 11:19 PM
    I had the same thing. Hit my data limit and within minutes had a text to double my data for free from 3 to 6gb. I had called to complain about something a month or so ago and they also gave me 2gb more data free for 12 months. So I'm sitting at 8gb for the price of 3gb. The funny thing is I'm a couple days away from my data resetting and I have only used about 2gb. Maybe I should start streaming more video!

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-15-2015 07:27 AM
    I'm on the shared 10G plan with my wife, 2 weeks ago she left a few apps running without knowing and consumed 6.5G, at that point I used 2.5G on my turbo. So I turned her data off for the remaining billing cycle. I DID NOT receive a text for a data increase for no charge. I wish I did, 20G would be great !!
    01-15-2015 07:53 AM
    can anyone else comfirm this happened ? and please state which plan you are on.
    01-15-2015 07:54 AM
    As Rukbat said it is #5. They had a deal awhile ago doubling peoples data -- they simply just offered it for you. The other options (like 1 or 2) isn't an issue for them. If you turn off mobile data and don't use it .. you're paying them and then not using the resource so they just collect cash ... if you're near your data cap and get some overages it is just more cash for them .. so nothing bad for them.

It is merely to keep up with competition .
    01-15-2015 09:57 AM
    I'm on the shared 10G plan with my wife, 2 weeks ago she left a few apps running without knowing and consumed 6.5G, at that point I used 2.5G on my turbo. So I turned her data off for the remaining billing cycle. I DID NOT receive a text for a data increase for no charge. I wish I did, 20G would be great !!
    The double data promos are only for those on low GB plans. 10 and up will likely never see such offers.
    UnlockedOnly likes this.
    01-15-2015 10:06 AM
    The double data promos are only for those on low GB plans. 10 and up will likely never see such offers.
    This! It seems to me Verizon worked hard to get me in the 10gb data plan for less than I paid for 4. Why that is Idk but I like.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-15-2015 10:38 AM
    Actually, I think in November, Verizon offered double data on the higher GB plans. One of my company accounts got doubled from 15gb to 30gb, for the same price. Unfortunately, I had lost the double data when I had to add Mexico calling/data back onto that company account
    01-16-2015 11:46 AM
    I could definitely use this. I'm pretty close to going over. Hopefully I get that text!
    01-16-2015 06:30 PM