01-22-2015 12:27 PM
36 12
tools
    I got the Droid Turbo over two months ago and I was so excited to leave behind all of Samsung's bloatware. After two months I am sick and tired of this phone. The battery life is nice, the turbo charger is very efficient but the other issues are just to much to ignore.

1. Camera- The touchscreen sensitivity is a pain when you are trying to zoom in on a quick picture. By the time I get there the moment is gone.

2. Simple ease of use features- Having a power function that easily starts your phone. Being able to turn off your screen while your on a call or to use the side button to end a call. Let me simplify this. On my s3 I could hit the power button to end calls. This feature is included on the turbo but if you enable the feature there is no way to turn the screen back on. I suppose Verizon is to blame for the Advanced calling feature, but it is 2015! That should be a staple.

3. Data Hog-I find myself going through loads of data with regular use.

4. It's hard to find accessories and cases. I am dying to put an invisible shield on this screen as I notice small minor scratches.

Yes If Verizon didn't make me pay $400 to Edge up, I would go back to the s5 in a heartbeat. On a side note-THE EDGE IS A RIP OFF!

Anyone else experience my frustration. More power to you if you love it, but don't use this thread to tell me to stop complaining.
    01-16-2015 05:17 PM
    go back to a Verizon company-owned store with phone/box/receipt etc. and explain your situation firmly, politely, and professionally. explain to them that you're not happy. i know that you're past the return period but perhaps they'll work with you. maybe you can trade it for a new/refurbished S5 or Note 3/4. tell them what you want. you don't know unless you ask. everything in life is negotiable. politely ask to speak to the manager if necessary. remember - you are paying them a big nut every month. if this doesn't work try a second store and/or call VZW customer service and plead your case. if all else fails perhaps you can do an even trade with someone here or on craigslist. or sell it. you don't need to keep the phone if you don't want it.

good luck.
    01-16-2015 05:24 PM
    4. It's hard to find accessories and cases. I am dying to put an invisible shield on this screen as I notice small minor scratches.
    At least for this one - Skinomi makes Zagg-style screen protectors for the Turbo. In my experience, Skinomi is just as good as Zagg.

Two different products:

Skinomi Premium HD clear
    Skinomi Matte

As for the others, rather than zooming, just take the photo and crop it to size later. It's just doing that for you anyway with digital zoom. The end call thing I can't help you with, though it's hard to believe that pressing power to turn on the display and then pressing the big red disconnect bar is all that difficult, but I get it. Maybe switch to a BT headset so you can use those buttons to disconnect calls?

The data hog thing - is that the known problem with WiFi data being registered as mobile data? Did that problem ever get fixed? (I'm not asking you but others will know what I'm talking about...)
    01-16-2015 05:30 PM
    On my s3 I could hit the power button to end calls. This feature is included on the turbo but if you enable the feature there is no way to turn the screen back on.
    Could be a defective proximity sensor, or a case you're using that's making it fail.

3. Data Hog-I find myself going through loads of data with regular use.
    You? Or the phone by itself?

Robot Check (Don't ask me why all Amazon links show up as Robot Check for me here. The site and I don't get along well.) When it comes to the plastic ones, they're all about the same. The protector is going to scratch. You replace it. 32 cents each is pretty cheap.

Assuming that following what Gekko said doesn't work. (I used to own independent stores, and we'd trade phones and eat the difference to keep a good customer. Or ask for a little cash for a short-term or new customer. A good manager at a Verizon store might do the same.)

If that doesn't work, call Verizon and ask to speak to the retention department, and tell them the same thing, that you're a very unhappy customer. (And, if you'd be willing to pay as much as $25, $50, whatever, to make the trade back work, let them know if they say no.) It's their job to do anything reasonable to keep your monthly payments coming in for years to come, not to have you jump ship as soon as your contract expires. If they say yes, ask for the name of the person you should speak to at the store to get it done, if they're not just shipping you an S5 with a return label for the Turbo.

The data hog thing - is that the known problem with WiFi data being registered as mobile data? Did that problem ever get fixed? (I'm not asking you but others will know what I'm talking about...)
    That sounds like the phone using mobile data when both mobile data and wifi are available and you think you'd be using wifi. The "fix" is to turn off mobile data when you have a wifi connection. ($3 for Tasker, and 2 minutes writing a task, makes it automatic.)
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-16-2015 05:40 PM
    Thank you for all of your input. I appreciate the assitance. I'll look into it all.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-16-2015 05:58 PM
    You have 5 posts, two of which are in this thread.

Stop complaining. :-D
    01-16-2015 06:39 PM
    Could be a defective proximity sensor, or a case you're using that's making it fail.

Robot Check (Don't ask me why all Amazon links show up as Robot Check for me here. The site and I don't get along well.) When it comes to the plastic ones, they're all about the same. The protector is going to scratch. You replace it. 32 cents each is pretty cheap.

Assuming that following what Gekko said doesn't work. (I used to own independent stores, and we'd trade phones and eat the difference to keep a good customer. Or ask for a little cash for a short-term or new customer. A good manager at a Verizon store might do the same.)

If that doesn't work, call Verizon and ask to speak to the retention department, and tell them the same thing, that you're a very unhappy customer. (And, if you'd be willing to pay as much as $25, $50, whatever, to make the trade back work, let them know if they say no.) It's their job to do anything reasonable to keep your monthly payments coming in for years to come, not to have you jump ship as soon as your contract expires. If they say yes, ask for the name of the person you should speak to at the store to get it done, if they're not just shipping you an S5 with a return label for the Turbo.

That sounds like the phone using mobile data when both mobile data and wifi are available and you think you'd be using wifi. The "fix" is to turn off mobile data when you have a wifi connection. ($3 for Tasker, and 2 minutes writing a task, makes it automatic.)
    What? I am new to the Turbo. What is this all about?

Sent with my Kindle Fire HDX 7" via Tapatalk.
    01-16-2015 07:42 PM
    Psssst vvvvvv 450.00 it's yours .
    01-16-2015 07:47 PM
    If I Edge up, I have to give the phone back to Verizon. Not worth $450. I am not THAT RICH!!

LOL- I didn't know I had to post 548 times in order to have an opinion.
    01-16-2015 08:34 PM
    ... That sounds like the phone using mobile data when both mobile data and wifi are available and you think you'd be using wifi. The "fix" is to turn off mobile data when you have a wifi connection. ($3 for Tasker, and 2 minutes writing a task, makes it automatic.)
    My data usage has returned to normal following the Advanced Calling update. BTW, some apps (Verizon Visual Voicemail in particular) won't work if you disable mobile data...
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-16-2015 09:23 PM
    If I Edge up, I have to give the phone back to Verizon. Not worth $450. I am not THAT RICH!!

Put a junk phone on the line and turn that in when edging up

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    dungoyle likes this.
    01-16-2015 09:42 PM

Wow, that's news to me. I just assumed all mobile data turns off when when I have WiFi. I have Tasker, but never learned to use it properly. Is there a link to that profile somewhere?

Thanks
    01-17-2015 07:43 PM
    Put a junk phone on the line and turn that in when edging up

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Considering your installment agreement has the device name and imei that won't work.

And for the record on the more everything plan you get a discount of 25 dollars on your access fee if your data package is higher than 8 gigs plus pay no activation fee. 25 * 24 = 600 + 36 for the activation fee + 200 for the 2 year subsidized price. Doing a traditional 2 year contract, that 600 dollar turbo just cost you 836. Sounds like edge is the better deal.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-18-2015 12:03 AM
    The Otterbox and Lifeproof cases for this phone absolutely suck. The Otterbox defender case has a gap at the top of the screen protector that lets in a lot of dust and debris. Why doesn't the screen protector cover the whole screen? As for the Lifeproof case, there's a plastic bar that covers the speaker. I can't hear calls or alerts as I get them with that case on. The speaker situation with this phone sucks, but I still love the phone.
    01-18-2015 12:19 AM

Sell it and buy a used s5. You can easily get enough on eBay or swappa to cover the cost of an s5
    01-18-2015 01:29 PM
    Sell it and buy a used s5. You can easily get enough on eBay or swappa to cover the cost of an s5
    those penguins are taking yet another beat down from my BLUESHIRTS !!!
    01-18-2015 02:08 PM
    those penguins are taking yet another beat down from my BLUESHIRTS !!!
    Ah don't rub it in ha. With all the injuries, it's hard them getting in any sort of groove. Hopefully they are healthy by the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-18-2015 02:10 PM
    Ah don't rub it in ha. With all the injuries, it's hard them getting in any sort of groove. Hopefully they are healthy by the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya, see you in the playoffs !!
    01-19-2015 03:50 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you. The phone is good but the camera has been a huge disappointment along with all of the Bluetooth bugs I've had after the advanced calling update. I want my iPhone 5S back lol
    01-20-2015 12:44 PM
    Two new gripes that I forgot to post about . LOL

1. The double tap zoom feature is very annoying. It locks up the screen with the blue frame and I always do it on accident.

2. No option to restart? I read somewhere that you are supposed to hold the power button, but that has never worked for me.

Solutions???
    01-20-2015 05:29 PM
    Two new gripes that I forgot to post about . LOL

1. The double tap zoom feature is very annoying. It locks up the screen with the blue frame and I always do it on accident.

2. No option to restart? I read somewhere that you are supposed to hold the power button, but that has never worked for me.

Solutions???
    I'm not sure what you mean by number 1.

For number 2, standard android, which Motorola uses, does not have a restart command. So you long press power to bring up the power off command, power off, then power on. I can't believe that's so terrible. Also, because you cannot battery pull, a long press of power (10 seconds, I believe) will do a phone restart, as a replacement for pulling and then reinstalling a battery. (It may be that it just shuts down rather than restart; I don't feel much like testing it right now..)
    01-20-2015 05:58 PM
    My biggest complaint here is that these things are put in for efficiency. Why would you not put in a restart power option? Only seems to make sense. The long press just turns the power off.

Same deal with using the power button to hang up a call, and turn on the screen. If you are going to insert it as an option, then why not do it the right way?

So over it.... Wish i could go back to s5-screenshot_2015-01-20-18-11-44.jpg

Double tap feature!
    01-20-2015 07:27 PM
    It's not Motorola that's removed stuff from Android - it's Samsung that's added stuff that's not in standard android. If you don't like it, return the phone and get a Samsung. If that's not an option, surely adjusting your behavior is better than griping about what you can't change.

I restart my phone maybe once a week. Having to do two steps is not a big hardship. When I talk on the phone, I either hold it to my face or I talk over bt if I'm in the car. I don't need what you need, I guess.
    01-20-2015 08:16 PM
    Oh, do you mean settings / accessibility / magnification gestures? That's the only thing I can think of you're talking about.

Turn it off if you don't need it. I honestly thought it was off by default.
    01-20-2015 08:19 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you. The phone is good but the camera has been a huge disappointment along with all of the Bluetooth bugs I've had after the advanced calling update. I want my iPhone 5S back lol

I too suffer the BT bugs. I think its why I spend more time using my moto x

Posted via my moto x 2014 or droid turbo, whichever I'm using at the moment
    01-21-2015 01:20 AM
36 12